thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #3,752 of 4,190
wow....I was looking for a DAP for my needs and I never came across this wonderful DAP which fulfill all my needs. I have Helix DSP in my car which can optical in and a add-on USB card for USB in.

I wanted my DAP to have 2 memory card slots for roughly 550GB music files, optical output, and above all one of the best if not the best SQ. Bluetooth and other features are not just optional.

Is there anything I'm missing out or should I just buy it right now?

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #3,753 of 4,190
wow....I was looking for a DAP for my needs and I never came across this wonderful DAP which fulfill all my needs. I have Helix DSP in my car which can optical in and a add-on USB card for USB in.

I wanted my DAP to have 2 memory card slots for roughly 550GB music files, optical output, and above all one of the best if not the best SQ. Bluetooth and other features are not just optional.

As you say It is a pretty good deal but no bluetooth or Wi-Fi if you can live with out these features then I would recommend whole heartedly for the money, I own original and still use it daily .
some who own metal version will say it's worth the extra if you can push to it.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3,754 of 4,190

As you say It is a pretty good deal but no bluetooth or Wi-Fi if you can live with out these features then I would recommend whole heartedly for the money, I own original and still use it daily .
I own the metal version and have tried the normal version and I can definitely say its worth the extra.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #3,755 of 4,190

Beware that the Opus#1 mounts as media transfer protocal and not mass storage. It doesn't mount in my Honda's system where regular USB drives and my Hidizs AP60 do.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,756 of 4,190
Beware that the Opus#1 mounts as media transfer protocal and not mass storage. It doesn't mount in my Honda's system where regular USB drives and my Hidizs AP60 do.

If I want to do more than just add a few albums, I put the SD card in a card reader and then it of course mounts as mass storage. I hate taking out the cards though because the case is so tight.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,757 of 4,190

I own the metal version and have tried the normal version and I can definitely say its worth the extra.

Unfortunately I can't find metal version online here in India. Bringing from states would take few months as no one is visiting soon. Lets see if someone can arrange metal version for me here in India.

I had shortlisted Kann, MK70ii and Cayin N5ii.

Kann was perfect form my needs but recent reviews about its battery issues bother me. Also its much more expensive than other options and also expensive as my first DAP. I can connect its USB out to my Helix DSP which has optional USB card installed inside Helix DSP.

MK70ii offers only one memory card slot and Cayin N5ii is similarly priced as Opus#1 but has some issues with USB audio out. Its SQ IMo will not be as good as Opus#1 which is more reputable manufacturer.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #3,759 of 4,190
Unfortunately I casn't find metal version online here in India. Bringing from states would take few months as no one is visiting soon. Lets see if someone can arrange metal version for me here in India.

Kann was perfect form my needs but recent reviews about its battery issues bother me. Also its much more expensive than other options and also expensive as my first DAP. I can connect its USB out to my Helix DSP which has optional USB card installed inside Helix DSP.

MK70ii offers only one memory card slot and Cayin N5ii is similarly priced as Opus#1 but has some issues with USB audio out. Its SQ IMo will not be as good as Opus#1 which is more reputable manufacturer.

Seanwee has both n5ii and opus1 metal so he's more knowledgeable on n5ii , opus1 is very stable and optical out which if needed is a great feature.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #3,760 of 4,190
If I want to do more than just add a few albums, I put the SD card in a card reader and then it of course mounts as mass storage. I hate taking out the cards though because the case is so tight.

I really like that I don't have to eject my Opus#1 after adding a few albums. What I don't like is that my car doesn't recognize it as storage.

I wish my case was a bit tighter - I think I'm going to wear it out at some point!

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #3,761 of 4,190
Seanwee has both n5ii and opus1 metal so he's more knowledgeable on n5ii , opus1 is very stable and optical out which if needed is a great feature.

I hope Seanwee sees this thread and respond here.

Edit- lol....I did not see it he has already responded. I hope he can give his feedback regardingCain vs Opus also?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #3,763 of 4,190

If you put an @ directly in front of the user name they should get an alert and will know that someone is hoping for their input.

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #3,764 of 4,190
Unfortunately I casn't find metal version online here in India. Bringing from states would take few months as no one is visiting soon. Lets see if someone can arrange metal version for me here in India.

Edit- lol....I did not see it he has already responded. I hope he can give his feedback regardingCain vs Opus also?
I have compared the 3 extensively in this thread before actually.

Tldr, the Opus 1 metal and N5ii are about on par with each other, just different tonality while the normal Opus 1 is not as good as the other 2.

Thought I'd make and share some comparisons between the standard Opus 1, Opus 1 metal edition and the Cayin N5ii here. Can't find any reviews of the metal Opus anywhere nor any comparisons of it to the Standard opus >:[

I volume matched the N5ii and the Metal Opus with a 1khz test tone by ear to the best of my abilities prior to a/b-ing the two.

The first thing that stood out was the different bass presentation of the 2. The N5ii offered a deeper, tighter and more impactful bass. Where the Opus had more midbass the N5ii had more sub-bass rumble. Better extension on the N5ii perhaps?
The N5ii was clearer and more articulate sounding whereas the Opus had a softer impact. The N5ii was also better textured which lent a more natural timbre to the sound.
The N5ii has a bit better layering and instrument separation with more air around each instrument due to the clearer and more articulate sound. In terms of soundstage I'd say they both have similar depth but the N5ii is slightly wider and more holographic.
Micro detail wise they are very close with the N5ii slightly edging out the Opus. Again, very close and unnoticeable without a/b-ing.
Overall I'd say that the N5ii has a close to reference-neutral sound while the Opus 1 Metal has a slight warm tilt.

Now for the standard opus, I tried it out at a local audio store when looking for a good multifunctional player (got the N5ii in the end). Comparing the standard opus and the two, the standard opus has a thinner sound. This led to me thinking the N5ii and the standard opus were on par on clarity but after more extensive listening it became apparent that the N5ii and metal Opus had superior instrument separation. The standard opus sounded as articulate as the N5ii but lacked the texture and natural timbre due to the thinner sound.
Soundstage wise I found the standard opus to be as wide as the N5ii but it lacks depth and sounds 2d compared to the other 2 players. Everything else is similar to the metal Opus.

Another thing about the screens. The screen on the Opus can go much brighter compared to the N5ii so it's better under direct sunlight. However, I found that the N5ii has better viewing angles. Album art is also rendered better on the N5ii with superior Anti-aliasing and scaling.

Hope this helps :)

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #3,765 of 4,190

I've demoed the AK 70ii before too :p

It sounds great, on par with the N5ii and opus 1 metal but at that price you're better off getting an X7ii. That would be a definite step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back