thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #3,736 of 4,190
Still enjoying my trusty ol' Opus#1

20180423_164034-01.jpeg

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #3,739 of 4,190
Yup. With the original cable reterminated to balanced 2.5mm.
I Demoed it for a while and it has a tuning which is very similar to the JVC FXH-30 which I like a lot. The IT01 was better in treble extension while the FXH-30 had faster and deeper bass.

The main difference is the price though. The FXH-30 is only about 35 bucks in Japan.

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #3,740 of 4,190
I Demoed it for a while and it has a tuning which is very similar to the JVC FXH-30 which I like a lot. The IT01 was better in treble extension while the FXH-30 had faster and deeper bass.

The main difference is the price though. The FXH-30 is only about 35 bucks in Japan.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I should check that out when I get the chance to visit Japan again. When I last visited, I was still not into hi-res audio stuff. What a waste! Haha!

The IT01 is already a good buy for me. I didn't regret it one bit the moment I opened its package. Wish I could try the IT04 next on my Opus#1.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #3,741 of 4,190
Sounds like a good deal to me. I should check that out when I get the chance to visit Japan again. When I last visited, I was still not into hi-res audio stuff. What a waste! Haha!

The IT01 is already a good buy for me. I didn't regret it one bit the moment I opened its package. Wish I could try the IT04 next on my Opus#1.
Haha yeah, I got another pair as a spare when I went again last year. It's the best budget iem I've ever tried. It scales EXTREMELY well too. There's always a noticeable improvement when I upgrade to a better dap. BTW, it sounds better the longer you use it. I compared the new one and the 2 year old one and it's a day and night difference. No joke. If anybody doubts burn-in, I'll just let them try the old pair and the new pair.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #3,742 of 4,190
Haha yeah, I got another pair as a spare when I went again last year. It's the best budget iem I've ever tried. It scales EXTREMELY well too. There's always a noticeable improvement when I upgrade to a better dap. BTW, it sounds better the longer you use it. I compared the new one and the 2 year old one and it's a day and night difference. No joke. If anybody doubts burn-in, I'll just let them try the old pair and the new pair.

Now you got me curious! If that's really good then no need to get the higher priced JVC models. My contentment is pretty shallow for sound a I'm not much of a critical listener but I still look for some good aspects of a gear that will fit my preference. I'll put that JVC iem on my must try list. Thanks!

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #3,743 of 4,190
Now you got me curious! If that's really good then no need to get the higher priced JVC models. My contentment is pretty shallow for sound a I'm not much of a critical listener but I still look for some good aspects of a gear that will fit my preference. I'll put that JVC iem on my must try list. Thanks!
That depends on what type of sound you want. Personally I don't like any of the higher end jvc models because they don't sound clear enough for me. I like very transparent sounding IEM's which allow me to pick out every instrument in a song. Im more of an energetic and detailed sound guy rather than a laid back and smooth sound guy. If there is a detail or nuance to be heard in the song, i want to hear it :D

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #3,744 of 4,190
That depends on what type of sound you want. Personally I don't like any of the higher end jvc models because they don't sound clear enough for me. I like very transparent sounding IEM's which allow me to pick out every instrument in a song. Im more of an energetic and detailed sound guy rather than a laid back and smooth sound guy. If there is a detail or nuance to be heard in the song, i want to hear it :D

I see why you have the Opus#1. I kind of like both or something in between but not totally flat or neutral. I also pick out which gear to use depending on the music I listen to. But it's good to have a nice all rounder IEM/earbuds on the go. Is the JVC a good all rounder?

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #3,745 of 4,190
I see why you have the Opus#1. I kind of like both or something in between but not totally flat or neutral. I also pick out which gear to use depending on the music I listen to. But it's good to have a nice all rounder IEM/earbuds on the go. Is the JVC a good all rounder?
It definitely is. So far only the Hifiman Sundara trumps it in that aspect. It also brings its level of realism to the next level.

I have the metal edition of the Opus 1.Not the normal one. The N5ii is my go to DAP now. I've compared the N5ii, normal opus and metal opus here before.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #3,746 of 4,190

Check out the JVC FD7 too, I think it's a slight upgrade (little more balanced, less crispy/grainy sounding in treble) and a better all-rounder, although not nearly as good a value as FXH30, which I rate up there with the original Carbo Tenore (they make a good set too since the sound signatures are contrasting)

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3,747 of 4,190
Check out the JVC FD7 too, I think it's a slight upgrade (little more balanced, less crispy/grainy sounding in treble) and a better all-rounder, although not nearly as good a value as FXH30, which I rate up there with the original Carbo Tenore (they make a good set too since the sound signatures are contrasting)
Currently I'm using the Echobox Finder X1 and while they are much more technically capable than the FXH-30, they do sound brighter in the treble and sound less realistic.

However, I did some equalising and now they sound spectacular. A very big step up from the FXH-30. Highs are still a little harsh sometimes but it's just significantly better in all other aspects. Drums have a very lifelike impact, not just the sound. Very satisfying :)

The Finders also need quite some burn-in before they sound good. Out of the box, the treble is super harsh and peaky but that subsides after about 10 hours. About 120 hours in and they suddenly open up and spatial cues are improved quite a lot.

I'm quite picky when it comes to audio gear. If they sound veiled or unnatural in any way, dump. CA Andromeda, veiled midrange, dump. UERR, unnatural mids, dump. IE800, artificial sounding highs, dump. Shure Se846, veiled everything, dump. The Noble Audio K10U was nice but overpriced. I really need to relisten to those and compare them with the EQed Finders because oddly I think that the Finders sound more realistic.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3,749 of 4,190
weird request but anyone with the opus1 metal can you weigh it?

I get:
211g w/o case & 232g with gray leather case (Both measurements w/2 micro sd cards inserted)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back