thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Mar 8, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #3,646 of 4,190
Still has a battery problem. The battery is clearly defective. I shouldn't have to contact the store I purchased it from.

Not defending theBit here (especially since some other people seem to have had their daps repaired directly), but getting customer service through the retailer is a rather common process, at least where I live.

Mar 8, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #3,647 of 4,190
Not defending theBit here (especially since some other people seem to have had their daps repaired directly), but getting customer service through the retailer is a rather common process, at least where I live.

I will contact ProStudio Sound and Music. I was told that I have to contact them in order to get the OPUS #1 to get fixed. By ProStudio.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #3,649 of 4,190
Thought I'd make and share some comparisons between the standard Opus 1, Opus 1 metal edition and the Cayin N5ii here. Can't find any reviews of the metal Opus anywhere nor any comparisons of it to the Standard opus >:[

I volume matched the N5ii and the Metal Opus with a 1khz test tone by ear to the best of my abilities prior to a/b-ing the two.

The first thing that stood out was the different bass presentation of the 2. The N5ii offered a deeper, tighter and more impactful bass. Where the Opus had more midbass the N5ii had more sub-bass rumble. Better extension on the N5ii perhaps?
The N5ii was clearer and more articulate sounding whereas the Opus had a softer impact. The N5ii was also better textured which lent a more natural timbre to the sound.
The N5ii has a bit better layering and instrument separation with more air around each instrument due to the clearer and more articulate sound. In terms of soundstage I'd say they both have similar depth but the N5ii is slightly wider and more holographic.
Micro detail wise they are very close with the N5ii slightly edging out the Opus. Again, very close and unnoticeable without a/b-ing.
Overall I'd say that the N5ii has a close to reference-neutral sound while the Opus 1 Metal has a slight warm tilt.

Now for the standard opus, I tried it out at a local audio store when looking for a good multifunctional player (got the N5ii in the end). Comparing the standard opus and the two, the standard opus has a thinner sound. This led to me thinking the N5ii and the standard opus were on par on clarity but after more extensive listening it became apparent that the N5ii and metal Opus had superior instrument separation. The standard opus sounded as articulate as the N5ii but lacked the texture and natural timbre due to the thinner sound.
Soundstage wise I found the standard opus to be as wide as the N5ii but it lacks depth and sounds 2d compared to the other 2 players. Everything else is similar to the metal Opus.

Another thing about the screens. The screen on the Opus can go much brighter compared to the N5ii so it's better under direct sunlight. However, I found that the N5ii has better viewing angles. Album art is also rendered better on the N5ii with superior Anti-aliasing and scaling.

Hope this helps :)

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,650 of 4,190
Thanks for the information. I badly need this.
New DAP

http://www.thebit.co.kr/content/pubf.action?fn=product/product3

Selling in Hong Kong for around 5280hkd (680usd)

General Specifications

Model​

Opus#1

Display​

4" TFT Touch Display(480*800)

CPU & Memory​

ARM Cortex-A9 1.4GHz, Quad-Core Memory(RAM) : DDR3 1GB

Button​

Power, Play/Pause, FF, REW Vol+ / Vol-

Supported Audio Formats​

WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WMA, DSD, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast)

EQ & Effect​

10Band (T.B.D) , NORMAL/USER1/2/3

Charge & Data Transfer​

USB Micro-B input (for charging & data transfer (PC & MAC))
Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device)

Outputs​

Phone (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out(2.5mm, 4-pole support)

Battery​

4,000mAh/3.7V Li-Polymer

Battery Life(Play) Time & Charge Time​

Play: Approximately 10 hours(44.1KHz 16bit, Vol.75, 32ohm, LCD off),Charge: 4 hours

Memory​

Built-in 32GB(OPTION:64G)
External microSD(Max 200GB) x2 Supports SDXC exFAT, NTFS

Clock source/ Jitter​

50ps(Typ)

OS​

Android

Supported OS​

Windows 7,8,(32/64bit), MAC OS x 10.9 or higher

Dimensions​

72mm(W) * 112mm(H) * 18mm(D)

Weight​

185g

Audio Performance

DAC​

CS4398 * 2EA(Dual DAC)

Decoding​

Support up to 24bit / 192KHz Bit to Bit Decoding

Frequency Response​

±0.02dB(Condition: 20Hz~20KHz) Unbalanced & Balanced
±0.3dB(Condition: 10Hz~70KHz) Unbalanced & Balanced

Signal to Noise Ratio​

114dB @ 1KHz, Unbalanced
115dB @ 1KHz, Balanced

Crosstalk​

130dB @ 1KHz,Unbalanced / 135dB @ 1KHz, Balanced

THD+N​

0.0007% @ 1KHz

Output Impedance​

Balanced out 2.5mm(1ohm) / PHONES 3.5mm(2ohm)

Ouput Level​

Unbalanced 2.1Vrms / Balanced 2.3Vrms(Condition No Load)

Volume Step​

150 steps

Thought I'd make and share some comparisons between the standard Opus 1, Opus 1 metal edition and the Cayin N5ii here. Can't find any reviews of the metal Opus anywhere nor any comparisons of it to the Standard opus >:[

I volume matched the N5ii and the Metal Opus with a 1khz test tone by ear to the best of my abilities prior to a/b-ing the two.

The first thing that stood out was the different bass presentation of the 2. The N5ii offered a deeper, tighter and more impactful bass. Where the Opus had more midbass the N5ii had more sub-bass rumble. Better extension on the N5ii perhaps?
The N5ii was clearer and more articulate sounding whereas the Opus had a softer impact. The N5ii was also better textured which lent a more natural timbre to the sound.
The N5ii has a bit better layering and instrument separation with more air around each instrument due to the clearer and more articulate sound. In terms of soundstage I'd say they both have similar depth but the N5ii is slightly wider and more holographic.
Micro detail wise they are very close with the N5ii slightly edging out the Opus. Again, very close and unnoticeable without a/b-ing.
Overall I'd say that the N5ii has a close to reference-neutral sound while the Opus 1 Metal has a slight warm tilt.

Now for the standard opus, I tried it out at a local audio store when looking for a good multifunctional player (got the N5ii in the end). Comparing the standard opus and the two, the standard opus has a thinner sound. This led to me thinking the N5ii and the standard opus were on par on clarity but after more extensive listening it became apparent that the N5ii and metal Opus had superior instrument separation. The standard opus sounded as articulate as the N5ii but lacked the texture and natural timbre due to the thinner sound.
Soundstage wise I found the standard opus to be as wide as the N5ii but it lacks depth and sounds 2d compared to the other 2 players. Everything else is similar to the metal Opus.

Another thing about the screens. The screen on the Opus can go much brighter compared to the N5ii so it's better under direct sunlight. However, I found that the N5ii has better viewing angles. Album art is also rendered better on the N5ii with superior Anti-aliasing and scaling.

Hope this helps :)

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3,651 of 4,190
Not posted or followed this thread for a while but thought I would just post how much I still feel the opus1 is a fantastic dap, since owning the opus1 for about a year I have sold my fiio x7 with 3 amp modules and acquired a cayin n3.
Always preferred the opus1 to the x7 felt it was more resolving and more natural sounding and clearly become my favourite on the go player ( use n3 for work)
Great simple ui and good build which is nice and light for pocket I actually like the abs plastic for this reason.
When at home I pair optical to mojo for more demanding headphones like he400i and fostex t50rp it's great with the optical on mojo.
All in all still a fantastic dap.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #3,652 of 4,190
Not posted or followed this thread for a while but thought I would just post how much I still feel the opus1 is a fantastic dap, since owning the opus1 for about a year I have sold my fiio x7 with 3 amp modules and acquired a cayin n3.
Always preferred the opus1 to the x7 felt it was more resolving and more natural sounding and clearly become my favourite on the go player ( use n3 for work)
Great simple ui and good build which is nice and light for pocket I actually like the abs plastic for this reason.
When at home I pair optical to mojo for more demanding headphones like he400i and fostex t50rp it's great with the optical on mojo.
All in all still a fantastic dap.

I agree. Although Customer Service needs some work.

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #3,653 of 4,190
Yeah I thought about "upgrading" but from what I've auditioned I felt the opus1 just was a better/nicer listen for the price. Tbh the UI could use a overhaul but from a pure sq perspective it's a great lil dap and the metal version is oh so pretty.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #3,654 of 4,190
Yeah I thought about "upgrading" but from what I've auditioned I felt the opus1 just was a better/nicer listen. Tbh the UI could use a overhaul but from a pure sq perspective it's a great lil dap and the metal version is oh so pretty.
What DAP did you audition?

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #3,655 of 4,190
What DAP did you audition?

Most of the older daps in a similar price range.

X7ii, x5iii, i5, ak70, m3s etc

I preferred it over the Kann also.

I've auditioned the dx200 and wm1a and they are nice but I'm not willing to go into the 1k (local pricing) dap arena.

The newest releases don't seem that compelling to me so haven't tried those.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #3,656 of 4,190

I've auditioned the dx200 and wm1a and they are nice but I'm not willing to go into the 1k (local pricing) dap arena.

Tried those before and only the X7ii was a suitable upgrade. However, I got a Cayin N5ii because it had very quick, crisp and precise sound.(and I didn't have the doug h for the X7ii)

I'd say its more of a sidegrade for most people as its more of a change of signature. From laid back to energetic.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #3,657 of 4,190

Think I agree, though I've only tried a few DAPs around Opus1 range- Alien+ has some good properties but not a clear upgrade. I liked ZX2 demo, especialy now that used prices are reasonable, but dislike Android interface and the power is a limitation- hope to try zx300. L5Pro I had before Opus, I think the SQ is hard to match but it's a terrible interface (no swipe gestures on a touchscreen device ***!), and with my headphones seemed to have a bit of a thicker quality in the lower mids, so Opus1 closer to my preference.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #3,658 of 4,190
If I had one little nit pic comparing to a fiio x7 original it is it's not quite as full sounding, doesnt seem to have as much body to sound a bit thinner overall but it is a little nitpic. It easily beats it on resolve and detail and is so much more natural sounding than the fiio.
I also own mojo and would say it matches the mojos revolve but again loses on the overall body of the sound.
The price these are selling for nowadays is awesome so much so I have been tempted to buy another possibly the metal just in case and when my oppy1 gives up the ghost ...which will be a sad day indeed.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #3,659 of 4,190
If I had one little nit pic comparing to a fiio x7 original it is it's not quite as full sounding, doesnt seem to have as much body to sound a bit thinner overall but it is a little nitpic. It easily beats it on resolve and detail and is so much more natural sounding than the fiio.
I also own mojo and would say it matches the mojos revolve but again loses on the overall body of the sound.
The price these are selling for nowadays is awesome so much so I have been tempted to buy another possibly the metal just in case and when my oppy1 gives up the ghost ...which will be a sad day indeed.
Nah, upgrade to an Opus 2 :)

Personally I've set my sights on the DX200 as a definite upgrade to my Opus and N5ii. I'm unhappy about the single card slot though :frowning2:

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #3,660 of 4,190
Nah, upgrade to an Opus 2 :)

Personally I've set my sights on the DX200 as a definite upgrade to my Opus and N5ii. I'm unhappy about the single card slot though :frowning2:

That's the thing that puts me off a dx200 and opus 3 which I have also considered.
I have been following the n5ii thread and read your posts I am considering an n5ii as well (2 card slots) ,seems to be getting good praise for audio but as I posted on the thread just waiting for them to iron out some wrinkles.
One thing about the opus1 it has had a few niggles but oh so very minor like the 10 second bug but overall very very stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back