thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #3,136 of 4,194
I am debating to purchase an OPUS#1 as my next DAP. I currently have a FiiO X3 Gen 1.. really old and low-end, I know. It has served its purpose well, however its battery life is now pretty abysmal. Anything I should know moving to the OPUS#1? Also, I am curious if the 2.0 firmware taken from the OPUS#2 alleviates the genre categorization to show only songs in that genre and not a genre -> album -> track sub-categorization, which would be really nice, but not totally necessary.

The only thing I would say is ... Don't expect to just drop in your SD card(s) with all your tunes that were imported with the Fiio and expect it to work. I bought one and had to return it. The #1 is an Android I/F and not compatible with the Fiio format. I use a Fiio X5 and likely would be using the #1 if it weren't for this problem. With 6,000 tunes on my 2 cards, and my HD 3,000 miles away, and not sure when I will be able to get them ... you get the picture. This is only my experiences and yours might indeed be different. Fiio I/F is dreadful (3 or 4 years old) and the #1 looked great! Unfortunately the incompatibilities got in the way for me. Good luck !!

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #3,137 of 4,194
The only thing I would say is ... Don't expect to just drop in your SD card(s) with all your tunes that were imported with the Fiio and expect it to work. I bought one and had to return it. The #1 is an Android I/F and not compatible with the Fiio format. I use a Fiio X5 and likely would be using the #1 if it weren't for this problem. With 6,000 tunes on my 2 cards, and my HD 3,000 miles away, and not sure when I will be able to get them ... you get the picture. This is only my experiences and yours might indeed be different. Fiio I/F is dreadful (3 or 4 years old) and the #1 looked great! Unfortunately the incompatibilities got in the way for me. Good luck !!

i think this there is a simple solution to your dilemma. Why not copy your music data to a computer, pop the card into the #1, format it, eject and then copy the files back?

for me, i don't normally transfer cards from 1 dap to another - each of my dap has their own cards. in this way, i don't encounter any 'incompatibilities'

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #3,138 of 4,194

I have a 200 gb SanDisk and a 128 gb PNY that I first used with my Fiio X5ii and now use with the Opus 1 I bought just over a month ago. I can switch them back to the X5ii (use it with an E12A sometimes) without even scanning, I just need to remember the proper slot each card goes in. I have no problem with functionality with either the Opus 1 or the Fiio X5ii. The Fiio X5 and X5ii are android-based also. Like you said, everyone's experience is different.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #3,139 of 4,194
I think it sounds fantastic with Opus #1. I think Opus #1 presents a grande dish of Bass, Treble, Vocals all in one package with Andromeda.

Be aware that the Andromeda can get much louder than you are used to with your regular IEMs. I highly recommend you reduce volume before you plug them in!

Also there is no hissing that I'm aware of when listening to Opus #1. I have tried Opera, and classical and quiet ambient, even in silent passages.

Sounds good! Looking forward to giving this combo a try soon.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #3,140 of 4,194
I moved (2) 200 MB cards from a FiiO X5 gen 2 to an OPUS#1and it worked flawlessly. It even recognized and imported the playlists that I created for the FiiO that had volume names and used the backwards \ in the path.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #3,143 of 4,194
No firmware update for three months to resolve the 'last 10 sec' bug - I assume this means that support for the Opus#1 is officially finished.

last 10 secs bug?

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #3,144 of 4,194
"what last 10 seconds bug?"
Try selecting another track while you are in the last 10 seconds, or so, of the currently playing song. If the bug still exists you will get an error message and playback will stop.

The last firmware updates for the Opus 2 and Opus 3 specifically mention this bug:

3. Fixed an issue where the audio player stopped when trying to play
another song when the remaining time was less than approximately 10 seconds.

The last firmware update for the Opus 1 fixed the gain bug introduced in the previous firmware but no mention of the 10 second bug.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #3,145 of 4,194
"what last 10 seconds bug?"
Try selecting another track while you are in the last 10 seconds, or so, of the currently playing song. If the bug still exists you will get an error message and playback will stop.

The last firmware updates for the Opus 2 and Opus 3 specifically mention this bug:

3. Fixed an issue where the audio player stopped when trying to play
another song when the remaining time was less than approximately 10 seconds.

The last firmware update for the Opus 1 fixed the gain bug introduced in the previous firmware but no mention of the 10 second bug.

Yes, I kept expecting a firmware update to correct that. It also happens if I do it during the first 10 seconds. Usually I play full albums so I rarely encounter the error message but it is annoying when it does happen. Also, unless I have missed something, I would like to be able to set the player to advance to the next album when one album has finished. Both my Cayin N3 and my Ruizu A50 will do this and they are much less expensive players... especially the little Ruizu. Of course there are other things that the Opus does better (for example no gapless play on the Ruizu) so the Opus is my source when I want to relax with music using the tube amp in my living room as that amp is not part of my desktop system.

The bug causing the player to actually stop and deliver an error message should be priority. If it does happen just click ok and try again. No need to reboot the player because, as we know, you then have to wait for a rescan of the entire music library.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #3,146 of 4,194
Yes, I kept expecting a firmware update to correct that. It also happens if I do it during the first 10 seconds. Usually I play full albums so I rarely encounter the error message but it is annoying when it does happen. Also, unless I have missed something, I would like to be able to set the player to advance to the next album when one album has finished. Both my Cayin N3 and my Ruizu A50 will do this and they are much less expensive players... especially the little Ruizu. Of course there are other things that the Opus does better (for example no gapless play on the Ruizu) so the Opus is my source when I want to relax with music using the tube amp in my living room as that amp is not part of my desktop system.

The bug causing the player to actually stop and deliver an error message should be priority. If it does happen just click ok and try again. No need to reboot the player because, as we know, you then have to wait for a rescan of the entire music library.
Have this bugs as well. It seems some owner doesn't have this issue. Hard to pin point this problem though. Btw, did anyone realise the opus actually do folder to folder if is on the same folder? Album>Disc 1 (finish,proceed to Disc 2 folder)

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #3,147 of 4,194
I was hoping they may solve the android crash issue ...it isn't a major but can be annoying ,seems to happen more when been in sleep for a few days .
It's my only real gripe with opus1 other than that it's my favourite dap.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #3,149 of 4,194
i don't experience this on the 1st 10 secs. wondering why you have it...

I only play full albums never playlists or just songs so I can only speak about my experience.

It does not happen if I just skip to the next song in the album. It happens if I want to stop playing the album that I was playing and then navigate to a different album and start playing that. I never shuffle play songs so I am only guessing that maybe it does not happen in that case... just skip to the next song.

If I finish playing one album and the music stops, I have no problem going back to my artist list and choosing another album.

Opus knows about this and fixed it with a firmware update for their other players. We waited expecting the same update for the Opus#1

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #3,150 of 4,194
I was hoping they may solve the android crash issue ...it isn't a major but can be annoying ,seems to happen more when been in sleep for a few days .
It's my only real gripe with opus1 other than that it's my favourite dap.

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing because it is the android player crashing when the 10 second bug happens.

And yes, other than that problem, which is annoying but not major, it is a great dap and I still recommend it especially if someone wants/needs two card slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back