thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Nov 17, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,141 of 4,190
  I don't own an AK before, but their file management system to me is pretty good already. Never tried to connect to PC before. Do you guys get randomly hang when trying to create a new folder on the Opus in the SD card storage when connecting to pc?

Android MTP is a PITA.
It is known to be slow and somewhat flakey.
Invest in a USB3.0 card reader and you will have faster transfers and all the benefits of Windows file management.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #1,143 of 4,190
Has anyone heard the shanling m2 and can compare? I feel tbe M2 is a little too neutral. Id like something warmer.

Does this player do playlists similar to rockbox where when im done with a list i can over-write it? And can it do playlists on a folder level? This may seem like a dumb question but the Shanling cannot do this on a folder level, only individually files.

I see eq doesnt work and currently eq is useless in the M2. Changing any slider instantly brings the volume down and does not do a bad but a horrible job at changing the tone of the music.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,144 of 4,190
  I'm aware of that, and I do have a 3.0 card reader. Just that I worried the flap would pop out once day if I do constant sd card removal.

That's where having a file manager on the device (like the AKs) is so useful. Maybe it will come in a future firmware upgrade.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,146 of 4,190
I don't think the new firmware sound is better. It's worse I think. Darker, less detailed, less airy, more like Cowon Plenue D. More as before. If I was in doubts to sell Opus#1, I'm ready to say goodbay it now. That's my opinion.

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #1,147 of 4,190
  I don't think the new firmware sound is better. It's worse I think. Darker, less detailed, less airy, more like Cowon Plenue D. More as before. If I was in doubts to sell Opus#1, I'm ready to say goodbay it now. That's my opinion.

It's always hard to have an objective option when you can't compare side-by-side in real time and have to rely on memory before and after the upgrade.  I assume you are using the same set of IEMs/headphones, listening to the same track, and EQ is off?  Many expressed about hearing a sound improvement after the upgrade, but it's just a subjective opinion.  I can actually go as far as saying now that Opus#1 and Opus#2 sound signature is very close, but it differs is higher resolution, better transparency and separation, and wider soundstage in Opus#2.  But overall sound signature is very close.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,148 of 4,190
  Thanks all for the details.

But still, with DSD and PCM bit rate indicated as the same time, which format does the #1 is playing the DSD files? Natively? PCM?
Unsure whether i should update the FW now 
confused.gif

That's the question we have at this point I think - is it playing native DSD and the display is misleading, or is it down-sampling to PCM.

DSD playback has never been native for the Opus #1.
Only Opus #2 has native DSD playback.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,149 of 4,190

DSD playback has never been native for the Opus #1.
Only Opus #2 has native DSD playback.

Thanks for the feedback - thought I saw somewhere that it did native, one reason why I bought it.  Kind of a bummer if it doesn't, though ultimately it may really not make a difference in SQ.  I'll probably just convert to PCM before loading files to the Opus to conserve space.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,150 of 4,190
I recently updated to lolipop firmware.. and apperently if i shut down the device, settings are reverted back and i can't play WMA files and album  arts don't show properly

Anyone have the same problems as i do?

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #1,151 of 4,190
Thanks for the feedback - thought I saw somewhere that it did native, one reason why I bought it.  Kind of a bummer if it doesn't, though ultimately it may really not make a difference in SQ.  I'll probably just convert to PCM before loading files to the Opus to conserve space.

Have emailed Jason/OPUS to confirm whether native DSD was available, prior and upon updating the new FW.
Have checked previous posts in here and there's claims that DSD native playback was there.

Will keep all posted upon hearing from OPUS.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,153 of 4,190
Have emailed Jason/OPUS to confirm whether native DSD was available, prior and upon updating the new FW.
Have checked previous posts in here and there's claims that DSD native playback was there.

Will keep all posted upon hearing from OPUS.

That's good if they can clarify. Their own promo materials for Opus #1 had put as only DSD but for Opus #11 and Opus #2 had stated as Native DSD.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,154 of 4,190
I would guess by the wording that it is not native DSD.  I would assume it only supports DSD but down samples or something.   If Opus 1 supported Native DSD it would specifically state Native DSD supported, although many companies do such and still down sample so I guess it doesn't matter.  A lot of companies use this sales tactic to sell more product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back