thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Dec 8, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,306 of 4,190
hmmm, I think it might be intentional, but being able to adjust volume more than one click at a time by holding down button while the screen is off would be nice... dont' replaygain so i'll end up wearing out the volume buttons if I shuffle too much :ph34r:

hmm i cant transfer files into sd card thru opus#1..

Make sure you have MTP mode selected for USB mode on OPUS settings menu

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #1,307 of 4,190
Maybe it's already been mentioned, but I was just chatting with my man pr0b3r and we've both noticed that with latest firmware that pushing the play/pause button doesn't resume play after music has been paused for a few seconds. I just noticed this today when people were popping in and out of my office to ask questions. I'd pause the music just fine with the screen off, answer their question, and press the play button but nothing happened. Not expected behavior coming from other DAPs.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Is this intentional behavior? Is it a bug?

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #1,308 of 4,190
Maybe it's already been mentioned, but I was just chatting with my man @pr0b3r and we've both noticed that with latest firmware that pushing the play/pause button doesn't resume play after music has been passed for a few seconds. I just noticed this today when people were popping in and out of my office to ask questions. I'd pause the music just fine with the screen off, answer their question, and press the play button but nothing happened. Not expected behavior coming from other DAPs.

Oh you really beat me to it!

Okay, just echoing the same issue that @nmatheis mentioned above.  It didn't bug me much the first time I noticed it but with constant distractions I've been having lately (people suddenly talking to me while I'm listening *annoying*), I realized that it would be better if we won't have to press the power button again just to resume the music.  Another fraction of battery power is wasted due to the background lights turning on.  I hope this gets resolved on the next firmware update.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #1,309 of 4,190
Maybe it's already been mentioned, but I was just chatting with my man pr0b3r and we've both noticed that with latest firmware that pushing the play/pause button doesn't resume play after music has been paused for a few seconds. I just noticed this today when people were popping in and out of my office to ask questions. I'd pause the music just fine with the screen off, answer their question, and press the play button but nothing happened. Not expected behavior coming from other DAPs.

I have same experience... wonder if it's tied into my screen-off volume complaint. Only thing I can imagine is that it's part of some malfunctioning (or rather oddly conceived) "lock" feature.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #1,310 of 4,190
I have same experience... wonder if it's tied into my screen-off volume complaint. Only thing I can imagine is that it's part of some malfunctioning (or rather oddly conceived) "lock" feature.

Ditto.... I've had the player for about a week now, and was hoping this issue would clear up when I upgraded to the latest firmware. It's a bit of a nuisance having to reach into my pocket turn the screen back on, and find the play button once again... It's turned in to kind of an art.

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,313 of 4,190
So this mis-functionality was present in the previous firmware, as well? That's an unfortunate misstep. I hope it's corrected soon...

Right.  They should have done so with the last update.  I hope someone from thebit gets wind of this issue and solve it with the next update along with more improved functionalities.

By the way @nmatheis, what do you think of the sound so far?  Any comparisons you have in mind?

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #1,314 of 4,190
I'll contact silence at thebit and see if they can give me an answer...

I listened vs my Shanling M3 which has the same DAC (but only one chip) and preferred Opus #1 in the short A/B session. Opus #1 had better clarity and soundstage. I'll compare vs other DAPs as I find time. You could always let me know if there's one you'd interested in me listening against :wink:

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,315 of 4,190
I'll contact silence at thebit and see if they can give me an answer...

I listened vs my Shanling M3 which has the same DAC (but only one chip) and preferred Opus #1 in the short A/B session. Opus #1 had better clarity and soundstage. I'll compare vs other DAPs as I find time. You could always let me know if there's one you'd interested in me listening against
wink.gif

Thanks @nmatheis for the brief comparison vs the Shanling M3.  I mainly use my Opus#1 now more than my i5.  xDuoo X10 is also about to arrive.  I'll post my observations in their respective threads when I get the time.  Opus#1 for me was a surprise in terms of detail and clarity.  The better soundstage of the Opus was later on realized when I went back to i5, which has a relatively more intimate presentation so a bit smaller soundstage.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #1,316 of 4,190

Make sure to have enough power from your USB port if your're using a Windows PC.  Try removing some other things plugged in there like another USB flash drive and such.  Sometimes Opus#1 doesn't appear on My Computer when there's insufficient power supplied to it.  Best alternative is to remove the microSD card and use a card reader instead.

tried everything. it worked fine before the lollipop. taking it out from the case everytime i want to remove the sd card gonna be pain in the ass. but i have no choice..
atsmile.gif

hmmm, I think it might be intentional, but being able to adjust volume more than one click at a time by holding down button while the screen is off would be nice... dont' replaygain so i'll end up wearing out the volume buttons if I shuffle too much
ph34r.gif

Make sure you have MTP mode selected for USB mode on OPUS settings menu

im on the mtp mode
smile.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #1,317 of 4,190
So this mis-functionality was present in the previous firmware, as well? That's an unfortunate misstep. I hope it's corrected soon...

It's not a misfunction, it's intended by design and theBit is sticking to it in both Opus#1 and Opus#2.  Once you pause it with screen off, within 5-10second it goes into deep sleep mode which can only be resumed by turning the screen back on.  This affect HW control buttons, unfortunately.  I suggested to theBit team to enable a user defined time out for a sleep mode since there are so many times when we are listening to music, get interrupted to pause it (for more than 5-10sec) and when come back to resume it using ext hw controls - it's not working.

It's not a bug, but rather a part of their design with a deep sleep functionality.  As a matter of fact, if you have sensitive IEMs, as soon as you hit Pause you can still hear some hissing for 5-10sec until it goes silent - deep sleep kicks in!

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #1,318 of 4,190
It's not a misfunction, it's intended by design and theBit is sticking to it in both Opus#1 and Opus#2.  Once you pause it with screen off, within 5-10second it goes into deep sleep mode which can only be resumed by turning the screen back on.  This affect HW control buttons, unfortunately.  I suggested to theBit team to enable a user defined time out for a sleep mode since there are so many times when we are listening to music, get interrupted to pause it (for more than 5-10sec) and when come back to resume it using ext hw controls - it's not working.

It's not a bug, but rather a part of their design with a deep sleep functionality.  As a matter of fact, if you have sensitive IEMs, as soon as you hit Pause you can still hear some hissing for 5-10sec until it goes silent - deep sleep kicks in!

Thanks for the reply, Alex. Surprising that thebit wouldn't see the utility of allowing the user to control timing for entering deep sleep and implement that functionality. While I have noticed how well it preserves battery life, I think having the ability to control this as a user is worth some trade off in battery life. Hmm...

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #1,319 of 4,190
Thanks for the reply, Alex. Surprising that thebit wouldn't see the utility of allowing the user to control timing for entering deep sleep and implement that functionality. While I have noticed how well it preserves battery life, I think having the ability to control this as a user is worth some trade off in battery life. Hmm...

Same thing that I wanted to point out.  The deep sleep function was a great decision that they kept, but it somehow contributes to more consumption of battery if you keep turning the screen on every time you will resume playing.  Screen on = back lights, android processes = added battery consumption.  If this is true, then it's contradicting the deep sleep feature's intention.

By the way, since we're already talking about battery life, how many hours can your units last?  Continuous playing and not.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,320 of 4,190

I think they need feedback from more then just one reviewer
wink.gif
  You need to voice your concern too, bud, not sure if you got your review sample directly from them or Andrew, but either way I hope more people will put pressure on them to add this feature
biggrin.gif
  With Opus#2 the deep sleep also unpairs BT headphones, which is quite annoying.  I love the deep sleep, simply amazing to preserve battery life on Android based DAP, but we need at least a few minute time out before deep sleep kicks in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back