thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Nov 14, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,036 of 4,190
  The sound signature certainly has changed for the better.

The Campfire Audio Lyra II I am reviewing now sound more open, lighter and detailed.

I would have to agree with your statement. The new UI and sound are absolutely awesome. i listened to a few songs with my DUNU 2Kj, a perfect match. On another note my new Mojo came today so there will be lots of playing around, hopefully! 

Edit: 

I will have to add that this has rebooted twice now on its own from just forwarding to another song.

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,037 of 4,190
  I am not quite ready for balanced yet.  Only 1 pair of phones in my collection I believe can go balanced.  My Shure SE846 and I am still within the 2 year warranty barely.  I asked Shure over the phone about using aftermarket cables and they said if an aftermarket cable damages something it will void the warranty and to just avoid them with their products.  I will stay single ended for a while.  I can't afford balanced cables on top of a new dap, screen protector, case, and 2 256 gb micro sd cards with my financial situation. Aren't balanced cables pretty expensive?  The cable is the least of my worries right now.  Maybe my mind will change down the road.

I just ordered some balanced cables from Impact Audio Cables for under 80.00 shipped on a friends recommendation also I own a pair of balanced from Surf cables that I use with the Opus which I paid under 120.00 shipped.
IMO balanced sounds much better with the Opus 1.

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,039 of 4,190

I am not quite ready for balanced yet.  Only 1 pair of phones in my collection I believe can go balanced.  My Shure SE846 and I am still within the 2 year warranty barely.  I asked Shure over the phone about using aftermarket cables and they said if an aftermarket cable damages something it will void the warranty and to just avoid them with their products.  I will stay single ended for a while.  I can't afford balanced cables on top of a new dap, screen protector, case, and 2 256 gb micro sd cards with my financial situation. Aren't balanced cables pretty expensive?  The cable is the least of my worries right now.  Maybe my mind will change down the road.

I just ordered some balanced cables from Impact Audio Cables for under 80.00 shipped on a friends recommendation also I own a pair of balanced from Surf cables that I use with the Opus which I paid under 120.00 shipped.
IMO balanced sounds much better with the Opus 1.

It will partially depend on your IEM/CIEM.  Keep in mind, Opus#1 SE 3.5mm output is 2ohm while BAL 2.5mm is 1ohm.   Not much on a paper, but it could affect some multi-BA iems.  To have more flexibility, I usually get aftermarket cables with 2.5mm TRRS balanced termination and get 3.5mm TRS single ended adapter for a "regular" use.  This way, like in case of Opus daps, you can try both HO outputs to see which one pairs up better with your monitors 
wink.gif
  Doesn't mean you will hear the same difference with every pair of IEMs/CIEMs, but in some cases you will.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,040 of 4,190

It will partially depend on your IEM/CIEM.  Keep in mind, Opus#1 SE 3.5mm output is 2ohm while BAL 2.5mm is 1ohm.   Not much on a paper, but it could affect some multi-BA iems.  To have more flexibility, I usually get aftermarket cables with 2.5mm TRRS balanced termination and get 3.5mm TRS single ended adapter for a "regular" use.  This way, like in case of Opus daps, you can try both HO outputs to see which one pairs up better with your monitors 
wink.gif
  Doesn't mean you will hear the same difference with every pair of IEMs/CIEMs, but in some cases you will.

My balanced I use is a 2.5mm TRRS. I didn't know I could use a 3.5 TRS single ended adapter with a the 2.5mm TRRS. I was under the impression you couldn't use a balanced cable with a non-balanced.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #1,041 of 4,190

wink.gif

My balanced I use is a 2.5mm TRRS. I didn't know I could use a 3.5 TRS single ended adapter with a the 2.5mm TRRS. I was under the impression you couldn't use a balanced cable with a non-balanced.

OK, here is a little BAL vs SE 101
wink.gif

Here is a typical example of Single Ended (SE) 3.5mm TRS and BAL 2.5mm TRRS (disregard the scaling of 3.5mm vs 2.5mm):

Here is the mapped pinout:

You have Tip being L+ and first Ring (R1) is R+.  In Single Ended the second Ring (R2) and Sleeve are combined, bringing grounds together.  In Balanced, grounds are separated, making L/R signals isolated from each other.  The adapter will just tie together R2 and S, turning TRRS into TRS connection.   You can't go the other way since you can't split the ground, but you can combine it when going from BAL to SE.

I just recently did a review of @PLUSSOUND cable with balanced termination and SE adapter, looks like this:  That's what I typically recommend when you invest into an aftermarket cable to give you flexibility for both types of the connection.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,042 of 4,190
I hear no difference with SE or Balanced Output with my JH Layla II on my Opus#1 Metal Premium version. Was using it pretty low volume though thus probably can't benefit from it.

Quote:

wink.gif

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #1,044 of 4,190

OK, here is a little BAL vs SE 101
wink.gif

Here is a typical example of Single Ended (SE) 3.5mm TRS and BAL 2.5mm TRRS (disregard the scaling of 3.5mm vs 2.5mm):

Here is the mapped pinout:

You have Tip being L+ and first Ring (R1) is R+.  In Single Ended the second Ring (R2) and Sleeve are combined, bringing grounds together.  In Balanced, grounds are separated, making L/R signals isolated from each other.  The adapter will just tie together R2 and S, turning TRRS into TRS connection.   You can't go the other way since you can't split the ground, but you can combine it when going from BAL to SE.

I just recently did a review of @PLUSSOUND cable with balanced termination and SE adapter, looks like this:  That's what I typically recommend when you invest into an aftermarket cable to give you flexibility for both types of the connection.

Thank you, that explains a lot.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,045 of 4,190
Has anyone hooked this up to a chord mojo? I tried with a regular LO cable and there was no sound, I did change it to LO in the settings.

That's because Chord Mojo cannot accept a non digital input. It has to be optical, coaxial or USB only.
You need an optical cable to connect Opus 1 to the Mojo.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,050 of 4,190
  Will the Opus 1 have any hiss with my Shure SE846 and will it sound good?

I didn't hear any hiss with my Opus#1 with JH16pro, Roxanne or Layla. Have not tried it with SE846.

As for the sound, suggest that you do your own audition, as we have different preference. Some like the neutral and clean sound, some may find other players more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back