thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Nov 14, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #1,052 of 4,190

I didn't hear any hiss with my Opus#1 with JH16pro, Roxanne or Layla. Have not tried it with SE846.

As for the sound, suggest that you do your own audition, as we have different preference. Some like the neutral and clean sound, some may find other players more interesting.

I don't have much of a preference when it comes to sound signature for a dap.  I use my headphones and iems for my preferred sound signature.  Not trying to start an argument on how things should or should not be done.  This is just the way I do it myself personally.  Let's keep it polite and civil.  I am making no claims for or against my methods or other methods.  WIll the Opus 1 be pretty detailed with my Shure SE846?  That is all I really care about and not having much background noise if any at all.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #1,053 of 4,190

No hiss at all for me with the SE846 running single-ended, running latest Opus#1 firmware.  Not sure if there's a difference running balanced.  I do like the pairing, though as MarkTwain noted it really comes down to preference.

Okay cool.  Sounds like this is the dap for me and for my budget.  Thanks everybody for all the info, pictures and help.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #1,055 of 4,190

You may want to consider the Chord Mojo Adaptor Cable kit, which includes the kind of optical cable you would need, among others.  Check out Moon Audio to get a more detailed description

Not to start problems, but i cannot vouch for Moon Audio myself.  I inquired several times about a product with no responses and then they finally responded the last time I emailed them.  They were not only rude, but unhelpful and didn't really behave in such a way I would ever want to deal with them again  They told me they do not allow returns on defective items and that you must go to the manufacturer for warranty problems.  They do not allow returns for a product with problems period. They have a bad reputation on Head-Fi lately.  They are very hit and miss.  With me a big miss.  Some people have had no problems with them and others have  Keep that in mind.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,056 of 4,190
To refresh my memory, I just tried the Opus optical output to my Mojo using the optical cable supplied in the Mojo cable kit and it does sound nice - fuller, weightier sound to my ears.  One drawback for me is that DSD isn't output via optical, it's down-sampled to the Mojo.  I have a tough time determining the sample rate from the Mojo colors, but it looks like single-rate DSD came over to the Mojo as 24/192.  Still a nice sound though.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #1,057 of 4,190

Not to start problems, but i cannot vouch for Moon Audio myself.  I inquired several times about a product with no responses and then they finally responded the last time I emailed them.  They were not only rude, but unhelpful and didn't really behave in such a way I would ever want to deal with them again  They told me they do not allow returns on defective items and that you must go to the manufacturer for warranty problems.  They do not allow returns for a product with problems period. They have a bad reputation on Head-Fi lately.  They are very hit and miss.  With me a big miss.  Some people have had no problems with them and others have  Keep that in mind.

I personally haven't had any issues with Moon.  But I was only pointing out a place where folks could check out the cable kit.  There's definitely other places where the kit can be purchased.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,058 of 4,190
If playing DSD via Opus 1 alone, you can actually see there is a bracket (192khz) beside the DSD rate. So I assume Opus down sample it? 
confused.gif

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,062 of 4,190
Notice text from Audio-Opus upgrade FW link "For Japanese users: Do not download here. Firmware for Japanese market will be prepared at following site."

Does anybody here have Opus #1 Limited Edition (japanese edition)? and what the difference from the regular one?

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,064 of 4,190
  As I have not update the FW, the bit rate for playing DSD64 via #1 is 2.8Mhz.
Are you guys saying that once the FW is update, it will change to 192Kh

I see the sample rate displayed as "DSD 2.8MHz (PCM 192kHz)" for a single-rate DSD album. For a double-rate DSD album I see  "DSD 5.6MHz (PCM 192kHz)".  Hard to tell if down-sampling is occurring or if the display is simply misleading with the PCM portion.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #1,065 of 4,190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back