thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Nov 5, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #3,901 of 4,190
Has anyone tried this DAP with BGVP DMG?

I am looking for 80-120$ chi-fi IEM to pair balanced.

I didn't use any chi fi with my opus1. Anyways, I would suggest you to get something on the warmer side (little bit), because Opus1 is quiet neutralish - flat. It will then nicely complement each other. But of course, the pairing depends on your music preference. I used mine with Master & dynamic mh40 and Periodic Be and they were very nice. I am waiting now for Fiio 9se, which should have elevated highs.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #3,903 of 4,190
Fellow members,

Anyone using a portable amp with your Opus#1? I am using IEMs that are of low impedance < 25 Ohms. No headphones. I have to push the sound levels up to around 110 dB to hear the music with the gain set at low. It is audible from around 55 dB onwards but only at around 110 + dB and further up north are the levels I am used to listening comfortably. I was wondering if an amp is required in this case. Switching the gain setting to 'middle' gives me a volume boost. From what I gathered around here and the web was that the gain setting should be set to low for the IEMs. Not entirely sure which way to go about. Would be nice if you guys could share your thoughts. Thank you.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #3,904 of 4,190
Fellow members,

Anyone using a portable amp with your Opus#1? I am using IEMs that are of low impedance < 25 Ohms. No headphones. I have to push the sound levels up to around 110 dB to hear the music with the gain set at low. It is audible from around 55 dB onwards but only at around 110 + dB and further up north are the levels I am used to listening comfortably. I was wondering if an amp is required in this case. Switching the gain setting to 'middle' gives me a volume boost. From what I gathered around here and the web was that the gain setting should be set to low for the IEMs. Not entirely sure which way to go about. Would be nice if you guys could share your thoughts. Thank you.

I have several IEMs that I use in Medium gain mode and 80-100 in low gain is typical range for most of the others except in dead silent areas. I don't think an amp is something to worry about if the headphones sound like they should. The player is not a power beast and the gain/volume controls were set up conservatively for fine-tuning (this is a good feature IMO).

IIRC someone on this thread asked an Opus representative about the best way to use the volume/gain settings and they suggested higher volume at lower gain setting was preferable (I'm guessing maybe applying higher gain might increase distortion slightly?).

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #3,905 of 4,190
Opus#1 sounds like IEM focused DAP. I listen at low gain and 70-100 volume depending to particular record via Audbos P4.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #3,906 of 4,190
However my full-size cans Sony MDR-1A 24ohm impedance are driven at low gain via balanced output at approximately same volumes as well.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #3,907 of 4,190
Thanks for the replies guys. I listen to mostly flac and dsd/dsf files. So far there has been no distortion(not that i could hear any even in low vol). I have yet to receive my dm6. That wait itself is a bummer. Once that comes in I will be all set for a while. Looking forward to the 11.11 sales to get this 'setup' put together. An upgrade cable with an amp(if there is going to be a sonic improvement) together with the Opus #1 and I can enjoy my music without thinking too much on hardware.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #3,908 of 4,190
However my full-size cans Sony MDR-1A 24ohm impedance are driven at low gain via balanced output at approximately same volumes as well.
Am I correct to say a balanced output setup will give you a few dBs?

I have several IEMs that I use in Medium gain mode and 80-100 in low gain is typical range for most of the others except in dead silent areas. I don't think an amp is something to worry about if the headphones sound like they should. The player is not a power beast and the gain/volume controls were set up conservatively for fine-tuning (this is a good feature IMO).

IIRC someone on this thread asked an Opus representative about the best way to use the volume/gain settings and they suggested higher volume at lower gain setting was preferable (I'm guessing maybe applying higher gain might increase distortion slightly?).

I see. I find Opus reps to be responsive. They said something quite different when asked the same. In their email they suggested that I used a middle or even a high gain setting since my listening levels at this moment are above 100+ dBs in low gain.

As for the amp part, they recommended me to look for one that suits my sound signature. I think one member here has paired this with a Alo Rx amp and found noticeable improvement sonically. Whereas some others were firm that this player was just good on its own or 'butt naked'(HBB). Pardon my lack of knowledge in this hobby. Thank you.

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #3,909 of 4,190
Am I correct to say a balanced output setup will give you a few dBs?

Overall sound picture is changed. So extra dBs are not the main part of this change.

As for the amp part

I believe external amp could totally alter own sound which is the best thing within Opus#1. So it would be wise to look for amp sounding as neutral as it possible.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,912 of 4,190
I used mine with Master & dynamic mh40

I will try that combination soon.. thanks for the idea. My MH40 is quite new so I was using it either at my desktop or with one of my newer daps.

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #3,913 of 4,190
Did you buy a Dap? I am currently in search for one for my car with Helix DSP Pro MK2, I am wondering is a smartphone enough or do I need a DAP.

Sorry for being so late. Had some serious issues which are solved now..well almost....

I am using my phone right now connected to Helix DSP via Helix HD USB extension car and using USB audio player with very good results. Occasionally though I have some problems of freezing but I can live with that.
I was also planning to buy Galaxy note9 with 512GB memory size and also use 400GB mSD card but that option again I am not going to use as I get quite a few calls while driving. If I can receive calls using BT earphones while USB audio player continues to play music (of course either I will pause it or it will stop itself during call) would be best result for me. I have yet to check it though when I have lot of time.

Regarding use of DAP in car I have read mixed reviews. Some have been very successful and others have had disappointing results.

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #3,914 of 4,190
Brief report for chi-fi paired to Opus#1:

TRN V80 - absolutely no go, as flaws are magnified by DAP up to grotesk,

Audbos P4 - almost ideal, however silver plated cable for 3.5mm mini-jack adds some hissing spoiling incredible details and fantastic soundstage. Usual for BA-only IEMs in this price bracket lack of bass is compensated by DAP delivering decent performance at almost all genres from solo folk through strings and symphony classics to the darkest depth of grindcore and brutal death metal. I am looking forward to receiveing copper balanced cable and CP100 Spinfits to have them beat the following.

BQEYZ KC2. Cheap chi-fi hybrids stun and mesmerize when connected by copper balanced cable. I don't know how is it possible, but these 30-bucks IEMS paired to Opus#1 by 20-bucks cable send USD300 RRP Sony MDR-1A to the box. How many iems or headhpones do you know able to deliver equally balanced sound, details and stage at classics, progressive metal and house as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back