thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #3,331 of 4,190
Hi Everyone,

I've been using the Opus for quite a while and had previously reported an issue with changing songs where i would encounter an error (usually with FLAC) songs. Recall some speculated that it was due to the ID tags but i found that if you attempt to change songs right when the song is about to end (within the last 10 seconds i think), that's when you'll encounter an error message and the song of your choice will fail to play. If you also try to repeat the song by pressing back nothing will happen when nearing the end of the song.

The workaround I've found for situations where you want to manually change songs is,

1.) go to the song you want to manually select but don't actually pick the song yet.
2.) press the physical button to go to the next track (this prevents the device from crashing)
3.) then press the song you want to manually select

Not a deal breaker for me since i love this device but hoping it'll be addressed some day. Sorry if this is a repost and hope this helps.

Yes it is an annoying bug. Someone said that Opus knows about it and fixed it on their other models. I don't know why we were neglected.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #3,332 of 4,190
I am thinking of getting one of these. I will confess i didn't read extensively through the thread and would like to know if there are any bugs that are of a deal breaking nature. Thank you

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3,334 of 4,190
I am thinking of getting one of these. I will confess i didn't read extensively through the thread and would like to know if there are any bugs that are of a deal breaking nature. Thank you

Main concerns should probably be the touchscreen issues several people have reported (results in DAP becoming stuck on Now Playing screen), which would require shipping DAP to Korea for repair unless you buy from a particularly reliable local distributor. Also USB DAC mode does not function reliably & there has been little support, so recommend against this DAP if you value that feature.

Otherwise relatively minor bugs with rare playback errors (some android driver crashes and restarts itself), sometimes erratic metadata scanning/browsing. Also some have complained about the battery life- seems to be generally 6-8 hours for most people, and also needs a recharge every other week if you keep it on (aka "deep sleep"- most convenient way to use it since powering down completely requires a database re-scan every time).

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #3,335 of 4,190
Makes me sad to see a all these complaints sprouting up in this thread. My Opus#1 is almost a year now and I haven't had any major bugs to dealt with. I had a few minor ones like when the device is scanning and I hurriedly exit out of settings menu back to now playing screen. Sometimes the device showed the "android not responding" message box. But I already found a way to avoid that. I posted a few pages back about the pattern I always follow to avoid such hang ups. About the USB DAC feature, I don't really use this feature of the Opus#1 but of course I tried and it worked with my Windows PC flawlessly. I have other devices for that so can't really advise anyone about this particular Opus#1 function.

Apart from those things I mentioned, there aren't any major concerns right now. I'm using my Opus#1 every time and even the screen has no problems at all. There were a lot of positive feedback here on this thread about this device and a lot more out there (reviews, impressions, comments, etc) when I bought it last year. Not sure why these bad experiences are now happening. Let's hope they're just isolated cases and Audio-Opus help them with the issues.

Again, here's the pattern I follow to avoid the "android not responding" error:

I follow a pattern to avoid the "hanging" when removing/inserting sd cards on my Opus#1

removing
- play something from the internal memory
- go to settings and eject the card
- go back to Now Playing screen by pressing the play button on the upper right of the settings screen
- no hang

inserting (just to make sure scanning starts immediately without restarting)
- make sure the screen is on
- insert the card
- wait and make sure the "scanning" indicator shows up at the top of the screen

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #3,336 of 4,190
Shiiitt. It's down to shy over 300$. And it's not a good dac? Amazing sq is overrated.

Go buy an Ak Jr. (SQ is decent actually)

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #3,338 of 4,190
so you are saying that sq of AK Jr is better than opus#1 & that opus#1 is overrated? Can you please clear the difference between the two?

It don't matter. They sound good. No glitches here. Opus has little flaws here and there, but at the end of the day, I would find it silly not to recommend this because it just sounds damn good.

Mine has little hiccup/ freeze but that's only happened like 10x within the past year so nothing to freak out about

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #3,339 of 4,190
Makes me sad to see a all these complaints sprouting up in this thread. My Opus#1 is almost a year now and I haven't had any major bugs to dealt with. I had a few minor ones like when the device is scanning and I hurriedly exit out of settings menu back to now playing screen. Sometimes the device showed the "android not responding" message box. But I already found a way to avoid that. I posted a few pages back about the pattern I always follow to avoid such hang ups. About the USB DAC feature, I don't really use this feature of the Opus#1 but of course I tried and it worked with my Windows PC flawlessly. I have other devices for that so can't really advise anyone about this particular Opus#1 function.

Apart from those things I mentioned, there aren't any major concerns right now. I'm using my Opus#1 every time and even the screen has no problems at all. There were a lot of positive feedback here on this thread about this device and a lot more out there (reviews, impressions, comments, etc) when I bought it last year. Not sure why these bad experiences are now happening. Let's hope they're just isolated cases and Audio-Opus help them with the issues.

Again, here's the pattern I follow to avoid the "android not responding" error:

I follow a pattern to avoid the "hanging" when removing/inserting sd cards on my Opus#1

removing
- play something from the internal memory
- go to settings and eject the card
- go back to Now Playing screen by pressing the play button on the upper right of the settings screen
- no hang

inserting (just to make sure scanning starts immediately without restarting)
- make sure the screen is on
- insert the card
- wait and make sure the "scanning" indicator shows up at the top of the screen

on my end - I totally turn off the #1 when i remove/change cards, no issues what so ever!

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,340 of 4,190
I get a good 10 hours with mine. The deep sleep mode is great. I never power it down. My cards are quite full so if I just need to add an album or two I just connect the Opus to the Pc and copy the albums to one of the cards or internal memory. The database seems to update itself in real time when I do that. If I do have to power down, or it runs out of charge and shuts down, it takes about 15 minutes to rebuild the database with two full 128gb cards. Of course the database is not necessary if using folder view. I do prefer using the database in artist mode because I listen to whole albums and I do not always know what card that album might be on. I have to use folder mode for certain albums like various artist ones. Also, tagging can be confusing with classical albums so I have a classical folder to put them in and use folder view to find the one I want.

Like pr0b3r I avoid the "android not responding" bug... usually just by letting an album finish before starting another. If I do want to stop the album I do it in the middle of a song and then navigate to the one I want to play next.

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #3,341 of 4,190
Shiiitt. It's down to shy over 300$. And it's not a good dac? Amazing sq is overrated.

Go buy an Ak Jr. (SQ is decent actually)

AK Jr DAC function has a lot of problems also. the DAP UI has major & dangerous lag issues- it almost ruined my hearing a few times due to OS lag affecting volume adjustment. AK almost completely neglected it in terms of support, theBit isn't perfect at this either but at least they continued with firmware improvements even until earlier this year.

Jr. is also a good sounding DAP, and I like the thin form, but would take Opus over it in just about every situation.

Just to be clear I'm not trying to put down the Opus but I think it's important to let people know all the potential problems when recommending it. $300 is still a lot of money.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,342 of 4,190
AK Jr DAC function has a lot of problems also. the DAP UI has major & dangerous lag issues- it almost ruined my hearing a few times due to OS lag affecting volume adjustment. AK almost completely neglected it in terms of support, theBit isn't perfect at this either but at least they continued with firmware improvements even until earlier this year.

Jr. is also a good sounding DAP, and I like the thin form, but would take Opus over it in just about every situation.

I've not tried the AK Jr yet but from friends in audio who have tried, a lot of cheaper options were better for them. Got curious and visited the AK Jr thread and there are more (deal breaker) bugs being reported as compared to the Opus#1. I've been seeing positive responses about the AK70 MK2 though, but the MK1 reviews don't seem to get my curiosity, several negative comments about them also.

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #3,343 of 4,190
Would someone be kind enough to tell me if the Opus 1 is available anywhere in KL, Malaysia? a brick and mortar shop would be preferable.

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #3,345 of 4,190
Holy mother of capitalists. I am getting it for around $290 on Amazon. Is KL known to be this expensive?
Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back