The Zune: A review.
Dec 6, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #46 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, is there easy software out there to remove the security on music bought from the iTunes store? I have bought a few rare songs there, and would like to be able to use them on a Zune.

Jlo Mein - There are programs that can remove the security but if you only have a few songs, there is another way. I had about 150 iTunes songs that I burned to cd as an audio file and then back to my PC as MP3 and it removes the security and plays on my Zune.

I think the Zune is a great player.

shane

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #47 of 294
I just got the Zune yesterday - so here's my mini-review.

At first I didn't like the looks of the thing, but it's grown on me, and I really like the non-scratch plastic. Build quality seems quite sturdy.

The software installation went without a hitch. It automatically searched for an update which it found, so maybe peoples reported installation problems are a thing of the past. For sure it didn't go searching my entire system and start converting all the sound files it found like reported early on. There was also a firmware 1.1 update for the Zune itself.

The Nav system? Very pretty and incredibly easy to use. I actually prefer it to Ipod. The only thing I can't get used to is I can't figure out how to stop a track. I guess pause does the same as stop/resume but I'll have to play with it more. The nav is definitely well done, and very quick and responsive.

If you're into video, this is the playa to get. The larger display really does have it all over the iPod, and PQ is stellar. I didn't care at all about having an FM radio, but the reception, sound quality, and interface is excellent. I'm sure I'll be using it more than I thought.

Sound Quality? As reported it's very good. It doesn't suffer from the thin digital sound of many players and has a nice warm presentation. I'm not sure I prefer it to my now defunct HD5 in all ways - its a fatter, warmer sound, but my Bose IE's probably aren't a good match because they're also warm and a bit rolled off making for too much of a good thing.

If you're into watching video on your DAP, I think the Zune is an excellent choice. And once Microsoft gets on with its updates and 3rd party developers get involved, the Wifi aspect of this could/will be a killer feature.

Do I feel good about getting the Zune over the iPod video? Yes. If video matters, the Zune is definitely superior to the Ipod, and the sound quality is probably also superior.

Will I keep it? I'm not so sure. If I get into watching video on the thing, then probably yes. If not though, I don't see any reason to lug around a DAP the size of an iPaq that does nothing but play digitial audio files. The sony was easier to carry around, had far better battery life (without the big LCD to power), an interchangable battery, good nav, 20 GB and excellent SQ. In short as they say, everything I needed and nothing I didn't.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #48 of 294
thanks for the review
i just picked up a black zune from wal mart to replace my dead karma and i am loving it so far

icon10.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #50 of 294
from what i have heard so far the zune is very similar to my old karma in that it sounds very warm and inviting (if that makes sense) i am very pleased with this purchace

however my karma died a few weeks ago so i am making this comment based on my memory so it may be slightly off
zune + sr80 =
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #52 of 294
I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the Zune was THE hackster friendly platform. Certainly much more is published about the WinCE operating system than any of the other proprietary OS's. The Wifi alone could have any number of really killer aps, and there's no problem with storage constraints.

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #53 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by deej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to read all the reply's to the review, but I was just wondering how the line out sounds compared to the ipods. Which sounds better; a Zune with a high end amp or a ipod with the same amp??

If you're considering high end amps, they should be pretty close. However with the Zune you may not need the amp. It really cranks in its output, and I'm guessing has a beefier amp than the iPod. The longer I listen, the more I'm impressed with its sound. In fact I'm also changing my mind about how good it is with the Triport IE's. I was hearing some magic at the gym tonight..

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #54 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by deej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to read all the reply's to the review, but I was just wondering how the line out sounds compared to the ipods. Which sounds better; a Zune with a high end amp or a ipod with the same amp??

As of right now, there's no real "line out" for the Zune, but the headphone out is pretty darn clean from what I've read in this thread, so it should be suitable for use with an amp using a mini-mini cable.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #55 of 294
The Zuning of Head-Fi has begun!

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #57 of 294
I have updated the Zune review with an odd glitch I have found in two of the tracks loaded onto my Zune. After a replacement (or two thanks to a stuck pixel) I have come to the conclusion that it is a software issue within the Zune, seems fairly isolated, and doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the product.

Also, interestingly, I have an extra USB cable. I forgot to return the first cable when I brought in the first one for exchange. If any enterprising DIY cable folks want to take a crack at it and see if we can unlock a line-out by disecting mine... let me know. I think many of us would be interested in finding out what the unit's capable of through line-out.

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #58 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i have heard so far the zune is very similar to my old karma in that it sounds very warm and inviting (if that makes sense) i am very pleased with this purchace

however my karma died a few weeks ago so i am making this comment based on my memory so it may be slightly off
zune + sr80 =
biggrin.gif

This is exactly what I am looking for
wink.gif
thanks!

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #59 of 294
Oh no, I think I'm hooked. I just uploaded a Depeche Mode concert video and it looks and sounds great. I bought my Zune at Costco so I could easily return it and get the iPod video if I didn't like it.

OK remind my again why the Pod is better? I prefer the sound, navigation, and video of the Zune. What am I forgetting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back