The Zishan dsd's corner
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #1,006 of 3,711
I was consider in the z3 as well, but I had no idea that it would need a different opamp since they all seem to have opa275, I thought I would get them all replaced, so the dsd and z3 have different voltage? Do you know where I can find all that info? I keep looking around but find it hard to figure some of these things out, it doesn't help that there are Soo many variants and I am not a electrician, haha just a sculpture
No worries, neither am I.
The easiest way is to dig threads on player.ru forum, but they are massive in size by now.
DSD has 9V rails, Z3 - 13V or thereabouts, so only DSD is safe for AD8066. It’s quite easy to reduce Z3’s voltage, but involves desoldering and soldering 0603 SMD resistor.
By the way, as good as AD8066 is, there’s one caveat, quoting datasheet: “6.4 mA/amplifier typical supply current”
Seems low, but cheeky AD cheat: it’s per amplifier, so dual AD8066 has 12.8mA quiescent current, resulting in about 1/3 reduction in battery life and 1/3 increase in running temperature.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #1,007 of 3,711
No worries, neither am I.
The easiest way is to dig threads on player.ru forum, but they are massive in size by now.
DSD has 9V rails, Z3 - 13V or thereabouts, so only DSD is safe for AD8066. It’s quite easy to reduce Z3’s voltage, but involves desoldering and soldering 0603 SMD resistor.
By the way, as good as AD8066 is, there’s one caveat, quoting datasheet: “6.4 mA/amplifier typical supply current”
Seems low, but cheeky AD cheat: it’s per amplifier, so dual AD8066 has 12.8mA quiescent current, resulting in about 1/3 reduction in battery life and 1/3 increase in running temperature.
Ahh, well that sucks but really good to know, I thought my little z3 was going to die on me, got so hot at one point this summer ( lme49720ha) it would be nice to have something that won't get so hot, but i guess winter is coming...... Thanks man, you been really really helpful, guess I need to start learning some russian and dig through those humongous player.ru forums

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #1,008 of 3,711
You are welcome :)
I’m bi-lingual (well, actually three-lingual), feel free to hit me if you need translation from jazyk na movu or language :wink:
Funny enough I would not recommend DIY modding, even if my set up sounds outrageously good (such a hypocrite I know), unless you want to learn electronics and associated skills and don’t mind destroying few Zishans along the way.
I’d say getting something like iBasso’s DX120 is an easier and more immediate option, and in the long run it’s cheaper too (especially if you account for time and stress of having to fix what your latest modding attempt broke).
OTOH it’s quite rewarding to end up with a unique system that sounds just the way you want too and I had time and nadhnennya (inspiration).

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #1,009 of 3,711
Yes I might might have to ask you to do that for me sometime, because Google translate sucks, and when I went to university in this country, teachers here didn't teach me any language that I needed (came to study sculpture in a Ukrainian faculty, was taught Russian mainly for oil and gas related work) so I ended up teaching myself Ukrainian for what I needed and get lost when people speak mixed or straight russian, I plan on asking a telephone repair guy that I know to change these for me, and as far as commercial stuff goes, ibasso dx120 is a bit out of my price range, and to be honest I am tired of the commercial, consumer, stuff, it always cost so much to fix when something goes wrong, or in the case of my wife's fiio x1 ii, it came highly recommended, we paid $125 for it, and it needed to be reset almost daily, no one said it had such horrible UI, but when she got that I decided to save money and grab the z3, she then sold her fiio, and got the ak4490 dsd because her fiio was so frustrating, we lost some money on that but we both decided to go the diy route, I find it to be a lot more fun, they don't have any u.i. problems, sound better and if something goes wrong, it can be fixed for allot less, now I just want to fine tune them, she likes wide soundstage with more intimate mids, I like it darker with good details and extra sub bass, so I will need to read allot and annoy people with noob questions

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,011 of 3,711
Yes I got pretty lucky with her :ksc75smile: Tetris is gone? It's funny because mine is missing it but hers still has Tetris and we are both on 0.4

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,013 of 3,711
I am on h. I guess I should see if there are any updates

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,015 of 3,711
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,016 of 3,711
What would you guys say are the top ten opamps for the zishan? I have a burson v5i, loving it, and lme49720ha( runs too hot) but still need something for the wife's, dsd, I would love to replace the other opamps but I have a limit of $150 and muses are off the table, what else do you guys think would work well?

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,020 of 3,711

Users who are viewing this thread

Back