The Zishan dsd's corner
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #3,646 of 3,711
Here’s my latest experience with my Zishan DSD.

Foolishly, it took me ages to realise I had been sold the CS43198 version!

So ignore my posts about the Dual AK4497 version!

The CS43198 version is the one I experienced all the difficulty with FLAC files playing out of sequence in folders at the beginning of the sort order. (By the way, the CS43198 version is pretty good, though I’ll be in the market for the Dual AK4499 version when AK sort out their production costs).

I appealed to NiceHK to query Zishan about the problem, and was told: Don’t use FLAC. Great, thanks Zishan!

So stubbornly I carried through my project of writing a bash script to collect all folders containing multiple FLAC files into CUE file controlled single joined FLAC files. Wow, that was a labour!!! - because my FLAC files are buried quite deeply: /<composer>/<work>/<work_number>/<performer>

And it worked almost perfectly! Considering I couldn’t find anything to produce a CUE sheet programmatically except shntool (sox faired no better) which only generates the track start times - and NOTHING else, I had to use intensive logic to generate track titles on the fly. It took me ages.

Now my whole library consists of these programmatically generated CUE sheets and joined up FLAC file.

I say it worked ALMOST perfectly, because some of these CUE files don’t find the correct end time, showing a ridiculously high end time of 5+ hours. But some are correct. Why??? Do any of you smart people know?

Still, I’m in better shape now. I just have endure the bad CUE files jumping off deep into my sd card at the end of playing the FLAC. But at least it plays the FLAC through, stopping at the end.

If anyone wants to experiment with my bash script I could send it to you.

I've never created CUE Sheets, but I have used exiftool in a bash script, to read the meta-data in FLAC files, and create M3U Playlists.
The exiftool arguments I use to get the track time is - exiftool -s3 -Duration

NOTE:
This was written on a Windows 7 PC, and run within the cygwin environment. I don't think I've tried running it directly, after switching back to Linux.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

###########################################
# NAME:        create-playlist-1.sh
# AUTHOR:    David Baldock
# DATE CREATED: 01-JUL-17
# DATE MODIFIED: -
# DESCRIPTION:    A script to create a M3U playlist file.
#
# Run it from within the Playlist folder,
#+ in this folder structure -
#+ Music/
#+ Music/Playlists/[PlaylistFileName.m3u]
#+ Music/[genre]/[artist]/[album]/[tracks]
#+
#+ - using input from this command -
#+ find -O2 ../[genre]/[artist]/ -name "*.flac" | sort | create-playlist-1.sh >
#+ [PlaylistFileName.m3u]
#
# The output is a file containing two lines for each track -
#+ #EXTINF:[TrackTotalSeconds],[ArtistName] - [SongTitle]
#+ [TrackName]
#
# The following sort command can be used to combine files from
#+ multiple different folder structures -
#+ sort -t / -k 4.1
#
###########################################

main() {
  #####
  # main() function
  #####

echo "#EXTM3U"
    while read TrackName
        do

TrackTotalSeconds=0
            TrackDuration=$(exiftool -s3 -Duration "${TrackName}" | tr -d '\r')

FinalCharacter=$(echo ${TrackDuration: -1})
      ## Does TrackDuration end with "s"?
      ## If so, then it's less than 1 minute, and it's processed
      ##+ differently than if it's more than 1 minute.
      if [ ${FinalCharacter} == "s" ]; then
        TrackSeconds=$(echo ${TrackDuration} | cut -d" " -f1)
        TrackSeconds=$(echo "${TrackSeconds#"${TrackSeconds%%[!0]*}"}")
        TrackSeconds=$(printf "%.0f\n" ${TrackSeconds})
        TrackSeconds_Seconds=$(( TrackSeconds * 1 ))
      else
      ## If TrackDuration doesn't end with "s",
      ##+ then it's more than 1 minute, and we process the time,
      ##+ to convert the Hours:Minutes:Seconds to seconds.
        TrackHours=$(echo ${TrackDuration} | cut -d":" -f1)
        TrackHours_Seconds=$(( TrackHours * 3600 ))
        TrackTotalSeconds=$(( TrackTotalSeconds += TrackHours_Seconds ))
        TrackMinutes=$(echo ${TrackDuration} | cut -d":" -f2)
        TrackMinutes=$(echo "${TrackMinutes#"${TrackMinutes%%[!0]*}"}")
        TrackMinutes_Seconds=$(( TrackMinutes * 60 ))
        TrackTotalSeconds=$(( TrackTotalSeconds += TrackMinutes_Seconds ))
        TrackSeconds=$(echo ${TrackDuration} | cut -d":" -f3)
        TrackSeconds=$(echo "${TrackSeconds#"${TrackSeconds%%[!0]*}"}")
        TrackSeconds_Seconds=$(( TrackSeconds * 1 ))

fi

TrackTotalSeconds=$(( TrackTotalSeconds += TrackSeconds_Seconds ))
      ArtistName=$(echo $TrackName | cut -d'[' -f2)
      ArtistName=$(echo $ArtistName | cut -d']' -f1)
      SongTitle=$(echo $TrackName | cut -d'[' -f1)
      SongTitle=$(echo $SongTitle | cut -d'/' -f5)
      SongTitle=$(echo $SongTitle | cut -c6-)

echo "#EXTINF:"${TrackTotalSeconds}","${ArtistName}" - "${SongTitle}
      echo ${TrackName}

done
  exit 0
}

#####
# Call main() function
#####
main "$@"

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #3,648 of 3,711
hi all
how to update the firmware on zishan dsd ak4497 without a memory card?
it's impossible?

what is the current price for ak4497?
they seem to be no longer produced, the eol chip itself

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #3,649 of 3,711
hi all
how to update the firmware on zishan dsd ak4497 without a memory card?
it's impossible?

what is the current price for ak4497?
they seem to be no longer produced, the eol chip itself
No to your first Q.
AKM had a big fire in its factory. There were structural damages with the building. AKM tried but so far failed to have its "partners" in the industry to build its existing product line (I e. AK4497 and etc) for them. Don't expect the ak44xx lines be back until 2023.
Why are you asking this question while you are selling a AK4497 Zishan DSD for $300?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #3,651 of 3,711
Zishan have terrible transistor based buffer stage and also very high output impedance about 10ohms+.
It's still good according price-performance for high impedance headphones.

I'm not a fan of my DSDs anymore.
24-64ohms headphones that I'm testing now results is from bad to terrible depending of impedance curve of headphones drivers. With is unique for each other.

It's working well with my 250ohms but it's useless for me now.
Same as Zishan U1.
There's LO available on DSDs and U1 to bypass the amp section to overcome high output impedance if needed. I'm using U1 stacked with InLine AmpEQ pre-amp and Lusya EF04 headphone amp (with Muses02 opamp) - sounds great!

Planars do not get impacted by high impedance output. For dynamic and BA drivers, you could also try using an impedance adapter. JCally recently released a nice line of affordable metal covered adapters called ZU2- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003972851922.html .

1650212779462.jpeg

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #3,653 of 3,711
There's LO available on DSDs and U1 to bypass the amp section to overcome high output impedance if needed. I'm using U1 stacked with InLine AmpEQ pre-amp and Lusya EF04 headphone amp (with Muses02 opamp) - sounds great!

Planars do not get impacted by high impedance output. For dynamic and BA drivers, you could also try using an impedance adapter. JCally recently released a nice line of affordable metal covered adapters called ZU2- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003972851922.html .

Yes it's nice solution now I'm testing DIY amplifier who have 24Vpp and 1500mW max power.
But think I will reduce to 800mW and 18Vpp due to power limitation and heat. Now It can be fitted in same housing as U1 but 4cm shorter so I will be move preamp section and potentiometer from U1 to move to this amplifier.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,654 of 3,711
if we compare the version on ak4499 and ak4497 - is it much better and should I look for it?)
Sorry, I haven't heard AK4497 versions.

Be mindful that DSDs AK4499 version doesn't have balanced headphone output. It gets very hot and battery lasts maybe 2-3 hours when full DAC is used (aka Turbo Mode). If you don't mind these cons, I would look for one if you can still find one which might be nearly impossible at a reasonable price though (I've seen them listed at ridiculous prices of USD$10,000+).

Yes it's nice solution now I'm testing DIY amplifier who have 24Vpp and 1500mW max power.
But think I will reduce to 800mW and 18Vpp due to power limitation and heat. Now It can be fitted in same housing as U1 but 4cm shorter so I will be move preamp section and potentiometer from U1 to move to this amplifier.
ZiShan U1 is just 10cm long, that'd very impressive to get 800mW from 6cm long amp!

It's great that U1 includes a powerbank as well. Are you putting a battery in your diy amp or is it going to be powered by U1? Because of powerbank feature, U1 stacks better than other portable DACs with battery-less portable amps such as Douk Audio U3, Schiit Fulla 2, and others.

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #3,655 of 3,711
Sorry, I haven't heard AK4497 versions.

Be mindful that DSDs AK4499 version doesn't have balanced headphone output. It gets very hot and battery lasts maybe 2-3 hours when full DAC is used (aka Turbo Mode). If you don't mind these cons, I would look for one if you can still find one which might be nearly impossible at a reasonable price though (I've seen them listed at ridiculous prices of USD$10,000+).

ZiShan U1 is just 10cm long, that'd very impressive to get 800mW from 6cm long amp!

It's great that U1 includes a powerbank as well. Are you putting a battery in your diy amp or is it going to be powered by U1? Because of powerbank feature, U1 stacks better than other portable DACs with battery-less portable amps such as Douk Audio U3, Schiit Fulla 2, and others.
Oh right :) Its with knob so its 2 cm shorter 8cm x 5cm x 2cm and can run 24Vpp and 1500mW but no need to, im wating for analog processor unit to implement some fancy stuff on it as a preamp. You got me nice idea with this, it coud be powered from U1 but i will try to fit 2000mAh.

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #3,657 of 3,711
same for dsd in ak4497

some dac on ak4497 can be found at like 70$
on ak4499 - maybe 200-300$
They are discontinued and due to destroyed factory I don't think they will back.

Market changed - there is way more custom made DACs. Company's return to non-oversample resistors ladders - R2R - insted of delta sigma, like AKM.
I have few different AK DACs and they are not change sound that much, everything around them do change. But R2R can sound completley different and due to multi bit insted of delta sigma sound different and now all thing what are different and expensive are most wanted. :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #3,659 of 3,711
Hi guys . became the owner of version 4497. removed the output electrolytes. I want to "bypass" the output transistor buffer. please tell me how can I do this and do I need to change the piping of the adder. Thank you

Are you planning to deactivate the protection relay? It shorts the output to GND, so you don't hear clicks & thumps at power up/down. It may not be a problem, if your op-amp has output short circuit protection

May 5, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #3,660 of 3,711
due to the war in my country, I only have 4580, 4556 , 4562 and 6172 available. I'm not strong in materiel and I don't know if they have such protection. can you educate me on a possible buffer bypass ? someone wrote that it worsens the sound, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back