The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #4,696 of 5,721
  Hello everyone, first time poster here! I've had the Essence STX for a long time now and I am not satisfied with the sound I'm getting through my HD595's. It's decent, but I feel like it could be better. The bass feels lacking and muddled while the highs seem too harsh. I had a very ghetto setup dedicated to my headphones, including an old Sony receiver and it seemed a bit better. That being said, I am content with what I'm getting out of my speakers but there's always room for improvement! Can someone please recommend some Op Amps that are best matched with my setup? Thanks a ton!

Xonar Essence STX --> custom RCA cables -> NAD C730 Stereo Receiver -> Polk TSi 500 towers and Polk 8" sub
                            --> Sennheiser HD 595 w/ soundstage mod

LME49720 are a low cost (under $10) way of improving the Essence STX's audio quality.
I use three AD797BRs op-amps in my STX, LME49990 have gotten good reviews.
both cost around $50 for three.
Technically with the LME49990 and AD797BRs you need to use 6 op-amps (cost $50) as they have to be added in pairs to the three DIP-8 slots on the STX

Have you compared the audio quality of the HD595 plugged into the Essence STX and the NAD?
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio when you installed the Essence STX?

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4,697 of 5,721
Thanks for the replies as well as the link Sandbo. I should have mentioned before that cost is not an issue. Which op-amps would be better suited specifically for the 595's, do you think?

To answer your questions PurpleAngel - yeah I've disabled onboard audio long ago and the jump to the Xonar was like day and night but I now want to see the full potential of the STX. Saves me from building a dedicated headphone amp, at least for the time being (with the only concern being my wallet). While the NAD is an awesome receiver for the speakers, it doesn't shine with the headphones. The Sony sounded much better to me but I don't have enough desk room for a giant setup just for the cans. By the way, the C730 was free! It was just collecting dust and given to me 
beyersmile.png

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4,698 of 5,721
  LME49720 are a low cost (under $10) way of improving the Essence STX's audio quality.
I use three AD797BRs op-amps in my STX, LME49990 have gotten good reviews.
both cost around $50 for three.
Technically with the LME49990 and AD797BRs you need to use 6 op-amps (cost $50) as they have to be added in pairs to the three DIP-8 slots on the STX

Have you compared the audio quality of the HD595 plugged into the Essence STX and the NAD?
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio when you installed the Essence STX?

I was playing around with my audio setup last night and boy, do I ever feel dumb. I did NOT have on-board audio disabled. I can't believe I've been "using" this card for 2 years like that. Audio quality went up dramatically when I installed it but nothing like this. Since I have an IT background I should know better - I can only bow my head in shame! The headphones sound worlds better but the sound is not nice and defined like I would prefer. The bass sounds muddy and everything else is distant and almost hollow/tin-can like. I ordered 3xLME49990 op-amps today and I'll be giving that a shot. Thanks for asking me about the on-board audio or I would have never checked. I was dead sure I had it all set up properly when I built and overclocked the system.

How hot do the LME49990 op-amps get? If it's a big concern I could easily fab up some aluminum heatsinks.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #4,699 of 5,721

I was playing around with my audio setup last night and boy, do I ever feel dumb. I did NOT have on-board audio disabled. I can't believe I've been "using" this card for 2 years like that. Audio quality went up dramatically when I installed it but nothing like this. Since I have an IT background I should know better - I can only bow my head in shame! The headphones sound worlds better but the sound is not nice and defined like I would prefer. The bass sounds muddy and everything else is distant and almost hollow/tin-can like. I ordered 3xLME49990 op-amps today and I'll be giving that a shot. Thanks for asking me about the on-board audio or I would have never checked. I was dead sure I had it all set up properly when I built and overclocked the system.

How hot do the LME49990 op-amps get? If it's a big concern I could easily fab up some aluminum heatsinks.

I'm assuming you ordered the 6 LME49990 op-amps presoldered in pairs on to three Dual SOIC to DIP-8 adapters?
I'm not aware of any heat issues with the LME49990.

What gain setting for the headphone amplifier, do you have set on the STX?

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #4,700 of 5,721
Oct 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4,701 of 5,721
Oct 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #4,702 of 5,721

That is the exact eBay seller I was going to recommend.
You might try setting the gain on the STX to "64~300-Ohm", might improve audio quality.

I tried that and while the bass seems to sound a little deeper the definition issue is still there. It makes it louder and I actually have no idea if it's placebo or if it actually sounds better. Besides the op-amps, what else can I change on this card? I have read about changing the clock and the power supply - are there any guides on doing so?

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #4,703 of 5,721
  I tried that and while the bass seems to sound a little deeper the definition issue is still there. It makes it louder and I actually have no idea if it's placebo or if it actually sounds better. Besides the op-amps, what else can I change on this card? I have read about changing the clock and the power supply - are there any guides on doing so?

I'm not too knowledageable about other hardware updates, besides the op-amps

Try the third party drivers "Unified Xonar Drivers".
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Foobar2000
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Might be time to sell off the HD595 are get new headphones.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #4,704 of 5,721
Yeah, I think you're right about getting new cans but for the time being the 595's will have to do. It's an expensive hobby, I'll have to sell some rifles to fund an amp building project and new headphones :)

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4,705 of 5,721
sell all the rifles.. what are you gonna do with a bunch of rifles, there're no zombies. with the cans, you can listen to as much music as you want. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #4,706 of 5,721
I just got a set of LME 49720HA from ebay but I notice they didn't come with a 8 dip adapter is there a way of installing it by just bending the pins but they are pretty long ??? Or is there a way to just buy the adapter??

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #4,708 of 5,721
Just got my hd600s after using ad700s for a while.

I have:
Xonar STX >>> RCA >>> Matrix Mstage >>> HD 600

Can't really hear much of a difference between:
Xonar STX >>> HD 600

Am i doing something wrong, what settings should i be using?

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #4,709 of 5,721
  Just got my hd600s after using ad700s for a while.

I have:
Xonar STX >>> RCA >>> Matrix Mstage >>> HD 600

Can't really hear much of a difference between:
Xonar STX >>> HD 600

Am i doing something wrong, what settings should i be using?

Set the output to 2 speakers and set volume to 100 in asus control center (to control volume use m-stage only).
Set the appropriate gain on the m-stage for HD600. They are 300 ohms, so i guess you should try both 10 and 18 gain settings and see how do you like it.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #4,710 of 5,721
Hey everyone, got some questions:

1. If I'm using s/pdif passthrough to an Icon HDP, I will not benefit from OpAmps, correct?
2. When gaming (Counter-Strike:GO, for example), using s/pdif out, which will offer the greatest precision: 2ch HF, 8ch HF, or 6ch with Dolby Headphone? Open to suggestions!
3. I mainly listen to Spotify Premium. I assume 24/96 in both the STX panel and the digital out in Windows 7 audio panel with 2ch HF are my best bet for sound quality?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back