The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #4,682 of 5,721
Oct 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #4,683 of 5,721
I have had Creative for many years, last one was X-Fi Fatality Champion Pro which i thought was the best available. My brothers Sennheiser 580 headset really wasnt impressive (i thought) even though articles everywhere claimed its one of the better. 

Just installed Xonar Essence STX and im not joking when i say i am hearing music for the first time. The 580's now have a clarity and punch that i thought didnt exist with these headsets. Sound is so incredibly good that i find myself looking over the shoulder constantly to see if someone is playing guitar right next to my ear. Seriously, not sure if its the AMP on this card or if its the card itself or both, but Asus has demolished Creative with this card. 

Whats good is that i finally have no noise which the Creative card could have especially in high volumes. This card cancels out everything that could interfere with the card. Im really blown away, nothing more to say. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #4,686 of 5,721
  I have had Creative for many years, last one was X-Fi Fatality Champion Pro which i thought was the best available. My brothers Sennheiser 580 headset really wasnt impressive (i thought) even though articles everywhere claimed its one of the better. 

Just installed Xonar Essence STX and im not joking when I say I am hearing music for the first time. The 580's now have a clarity and punch that i thought didnt exist with these headsets. Sound is so incredibly good that i find myself looking over the shoulder constantly to see if someone is playing guitar right next to my ear. Seriously, not sure if its the AMP on this card or if its the card itself or both, but Asus has demolished Creative with this card. 

Whats good is that i finally have no noise which the Creative card could have especially in high volumes. This card cancels out everything that could interfere with the card. Im really blown away, nothing more to say. 

Did you delete all the Creative software?
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Try the third party drivers "Unified Xonar Drivers".
Trying using Foobar2000 for playing audio files?

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #4,689 of 5,721
I have owned the Xonar Essence STX for about a year now but something has been driving me crazy and I can't find answers on google. Can anybody tell me if there is a reason to select more than 2 channels when using headphones with this card? Does it improve the surround sound from Dolby Headphone or is it pointless because headphones only have 2 speakers?

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4,690 of 5,721
  I have owned the Xonar Essence STX for about a year now but something has been driving me crazy and I can't find answers on google. Can anybody tell me if there is a reason to select more than 2 channels when using headphones with this card? Does it improve the surround sound from Dolby Headphone or is it pointless because headphones only have 2 speakers?

it's only for when you play games or watch movies. other than that, you would use hifi stereo for music listening. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #4,691 of 5,721
  Just buying two of those LME49720HA is enough right ??? and is the installation easy and capable with just hands ?

Only need to replace the two I/V op-amps, for the headphones.
Just need a small Philips head and a really small flat head (for poping out the stock op-amps) screwdriver.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #4,694 of 5,721
Hello everyone, first time poster here! I've had the Essence STX for a long time now and I am not satisfied with the sound I'm getting through my HD595's. It's decent, but I feel like it could be better. The bass feels lacking and muddled while the highs seem too harsh. I had a very ghetto setup dedicated to my headphones, including an old Sony receiver and it seemed a bit better. That being said, I am content with what I'm getting out of my speakers but there's always room for improvement! Can someone please recommend some Op Amps that are best matched with my setup? Thanks a ton!

Xonar Essence STX --> custom RCA cables -> NAD C730 Stereo Receiver -> Polk TSi 500 towers and Polk 8" sub
                            --> Sennheiser HD 595 w/ soundstage mod

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #4,695 of 5,721
It was said that all these 498XX/497XX are defected with bass being suppressed, you may find a more detailed discussion at page around 200,
so now I am getting this LME49990:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190928099571?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They are single channel per chip, so you will need 2 of them soldered on a single mount to install on the asus card. I don't have soldering tools at hand so I ordered the finished version, 
3 of them arriving by Nov. Will see if there is any real improvement over stock amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back