The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4,651 of 5,721
  Hey guys, have a question. I'm using my stx as a dedicated DAC>Little dot MKIV>Hd600.

Just wondering is the setup for this simply to connect the RCA cables to the input of the little dot, and set the output of in the xonar centre to 2 speakers?

Also, what volume should I have the STX at?

you should just stx rca out to Little dot MKIV in

and set stx volume at max and just use Little dot MKIV to adjust the volume

btw how much did the Little dot MKIV cost?

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #4,652 of 5,721
Ok so I'm building a new computer and... Really I am just looking to mod the crap out this card. Also, I'm a complete noob looking for money to spend.

The Xonar STX comes with interchangeable OP AMPs and after researching for the best choice of the OP AMPs, I've come across some scary looking mods.

http://www.fotothing.com/fotosofSPACE/photo/1485b7c6a369bd632a957ec914649611/

Is one that I really admire and want to attempt the build if possible.

So now onto the questions...

Is buying the Burson HD 101's cost efficient enough to not buy a normal chip like a LM49720NA for the card?

What is the purpose of the Audio-GD Clock on the mod I listed above? Is it necessary? I've seen some builds with just the 3 Bursons and no Audio-GD Clock.

If I do end up getting the Bursons or the Audio-GD Clock, how would one go about setting up and soldering them onto the STX? If they need to be soldered.

What is the purpose of the EMI sheild that comes stock on the card? I know it shields the chips from EMI (Obviously) but on some mods with 3 Bursons it's completely off. Is this ok?

One last thing, where is a good place to buy the Bursons, Audio-GD Clocks, and other chips?

I realize I'm asking a lot here, but anyone with any information on anything I'm talking about or opinions on the build I'd love to hear.

well for building a new computer you should really ask your self what size you're going for... I have a like first gen i7 920... back then it was like full tower but I'm thinking of moving to itx case. with that in mind. I would need external dac/amp look at creative zxr and zx. they're pretty new cards with same dac I believe.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #4,653 of 5,721
  Hey guys, have a question. I'm using my STX as a dedicated DAC>Little dot MKIV>Hd600.

Just wondering is the setup for this simply to connect the RCA cables to the input of the little dot, and set the output of in the Xonar centre to 2 speakers?

Hopefully you disabled (in the BIOS) the motherboard's on-board audio.
It appears you have the STX to Little Dot connection setup correctly.
Set STX to max volume, or at least as high as possible, use the volume control on the Little DOT.
Might try the third party "Unifed Xonar Drivers" and use Foobar2000 for playing audio files.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #4,654 of 5,721
Thanks! Yup realtek onboard audio is disabled, however the nvidia HD audio is still enabled. 

STX is set to max, RCA cables leading from STX out to LD.

Set at 44.1khz depending on the music played. 

Played through Foobar :)

I got my LD for 440NZD, 299USD+44USD shipping

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4,655 of 5,721
Hello Everyone, I just ordered the stx and the Sennheiser HD 558's.  Now, I do more gaming and listening to music on my pc than anything else for hours on end since i work from home.  I know in game settings I'm supposed to turn on home cinema for audio but i only know of battlefield 3 that has this option of games i play, i haven't checked on counter strike.  However what settings should i put on other games?  Also, i know when i get these i will be disabling on-board sound and uninstalling the audio drivers.  

What settings should i setup for best optimization for the stx and h558's, oh and I'm running windows 8 64 bit.

thanks guys.

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,656 of 5,721
It's time to kiss Essense ST goodbye. Looking for a USB DAC.

Anyone who has both or moved to DAC can recommend an equivalent DAC at good price?

Need to be USB and have RCA. No need for headphone.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4,657 of 5,721
  Hello Everyone, I just ordered the stx and the Sennheiser HD 558's.  Now, I do more gaming and listening to music on my pc than anything else for hours on end since i work from home.  I know in game settings I'm supposed to turn on home cinema for audio but i only know of battlefield 3 that has this option of games i play, i haven't checked on counter strike.  However what settings should i put on other games?  Also, i know when i get these i will be disabling on-board sound and uninstalling the audio drivers.  

What settings should i setup for best optimization for the stx and h558's, oh and I'm running windows 8 64 bit.

thanks guys.

Disable on-board audio when you install an add-on sound card.
Might try the third party "Unified Xonar Drivers".

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #4,658 of 5,721
ok thanks, ill give the regular drivers a try first, if i run into problems i will try the other ones.  this is the right page right?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

I was in fact having issues with the regular xonar essence drivers, installing unified drivers are working great.  I actually spent about 30 min to an hour setting up the settings and tweaking, music sounds amazing, then i launched BF3, enabled the Home cinema, left 7.1 in the xonar audio center and everything else the same and WOW..

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #4,659 of 5,721
  It's time to kiss Essense ST goodbye. Looking for a USB DAC.

Anyone who has both or moved to DAC can recommend an equivalent DAC at good price?

Need to be USB and have RCA. No need for headphone.

I am looking too. I have my eye on ODAC with RCA output.
JDSlabs - 159 $ 
head n hifi - 110 

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4,660 of 5,721
Hey guys, have a question. I'm using my stx as a dedicated DAC>Little dot MKIV>Hd600.

Just wondering is the setup for this simply to connect the RCA cables to the input of the little dot, and set the output of in the xonar centre to 2 speakers?

I tried using Rcas but got distortion thru the tube amp, I ended up using toslink cable and bought an external dac and use the stx as a transport. I can use Dolby and all settings it by passes the stx dac and amp. No distortion at all. Try tube rolling on the little dot there are some beautiful sounding tubes which have more detail and impact versus the stock. The stock tubes are good aswell but mullards and voskod ef95 sound fantastic.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4,661 of 5,721
Hi all, just joined up after reading this thread for the hundredth time (and going round in circles).

Can someone simply recommend me the "best" / most up to date op-amp combo for the STX? I realise that what I'm asking is quite subjective due to the length of this thread, but I can't seem to find a definitive set of answers, or narrow down the candidates.

99% of the time I'm listening to music through my speakers. I mostly listen to metal / dub...however I still like neutral, wide sound. I'm in the UK, if thats of any significance...

Thanks for the help!

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #4,662 of 5,721
Found the best op amp combo.

2x pairs (4 total) OPA627BM in the I/V.
1 AD8066AR in the buffer.

Excellent top end openness and sound from the OPA627BM, with the powerful bass of the AD8066AR, best so far. Using K702.65. Incredibly balanced sound, and low end capable of pleasing everyone.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #4,664 of 5,721
  Has anyone used an external amp with this card? Specifically the Schiit Magni/Bravo Ocean?

I've used an O2 amp with my STX.
Why asking about the Magni & Ocean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back