The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #4,502 of 5,721
Quote:
I have had this card for 6 months and recently moved to the unified drivers. One question has mystified me all this time. What is ASIO and how exactly do you run it?

I thought it was only for sound input and not playback? Thanks in advance for any info.

the default asio 2.0 will be at 100% volume, so you'll need to control your volume via amp.  if not, you'll need the asio 1.0 addon for the unified drivers.  
and the foobar asio addon (or asio support for your player).  you should be able to pick asio from the output tab in foobar

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #4,503 of 5,721
Quote:
the default asio 2.0 will be at 100% volume, so you'll need to control your volume via amp.  if not, you'll need the asio 1.0 addon for the unified drivers.  
and the foobar asio addon (or asio support for your player).  you should be able to pick asio from the output tab in foobar

I still don't get it. Do I need a separate amplifier? I have the wasapi add on for foobar. What is the difference between it and asio?

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #4,504 of 5,721
Asio 1 - can adjust volume from pc
Asio 2 - volume always at 100% and can't be turned down from pc.
Asio - something to do with playing directly from hardware
Wasapi - bypassing the windows stereo mix (the thing that mixes music, video, games, yYouTube etc).

Wasapi works flawlessly.
Asio has issues with resampling.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #4,507 of 5,721
Quote:
Asio 1 - can adjust volume from pc
Asio 2 - volume always at 100% and can't be turned down from pc.
Asio - something to do with playing directly from hardware
Wasapi - bypassing the windows stereo mix (the thing that mixes music, video, games, yYouTube etc).

Wasapi works flawlessly.
Asio has issues with resampling.

Is there a way to use WASAPI for everything? Not just a plugin for foobar?

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #4,508 of 5,721
Just changed my opamps for the first time , how are they meant to be seated ? as the 2 in I/V were fully seated (bottom of chip touching base of socket) and the buffer had 3-5 mm between it and the socket !

Thanks

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #4,509 of 5,721
Quote:
Is there a way to use WASAPI for everything? Not just a plugin for foobar?

No,
WASAPI is just for file playback, having everything else defeats the purpose of it.
The point is to have the file 'play how it was recorded' without having other sounds mixed into it (windows).

Just stick to direct sound or at best, use ASIO 1 from xonar unified where you can use both windows direct sound and foorbar asio at the same time (assuming you're using an asus xonar card).

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #4,510 of 5,721
Quote:
Just changed my opamps for the first time , how are they meant to be seated ? as the 2 in I/V were fully seated (bottom of chip touching base of socket) and the buffer had 3-5 mm between it and the socket !

Thanks

Doesnt anybody know how they should be seated ? or if it makes a difference ?

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #4,511 of 5,721
Now if you had to change your ST/X  sound card to lesser one , what would it be ? DX , D2  etc

I only ask as im still auditioning cards , and wonder what you think the 2nd best card is to the ST/X , as im not yet 100% certain if its for me , but ive yet to try it with new opamps.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4,512 of 5,721
Quote:
Now if you had to change your ST/X  sound card to lesser one , what would it be ? DX , D2  etc

It depends on what features you need. For use as a DAC only, the DX or D2 would be fine, although the DX has no shielding, which may be a problem in some PCs (not in mine, I do not get any interference issues with the Xonar D1; I do not have a high end GPU, though). If you have an external DAC with S/PDIF input and only need the sound card for gaming, then even a Xonar DG or used X-Fi Titanium (not HD) could be enough.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #4,513 of 5,721
Quote:

It depends on what features you need. For use as a DAC only, the DX or D2 would be fine, although the DX has no shielding, which may be a problem in some PCs (not in mine, I do not get any interference issues with the Xonar D1; I do not have a high end GPU, though). If you have an external DAC with S/PDIF input and only need the sound card for gaming, then even a Xonar DG or used X-Fi Titanium (not HD) could be enough.

Thanks , it would purely be used for stereo playback through a tube amp and headphones :)

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #4,514 of 5,721
I've been trying to get info about OP amps Lme49990 but no one seems to know. Let me know hiw it sounds and what OP Amps your changing them with thanks. The easiest way is to see the originals have been seated and when you change them try to seat them accordingly. I've been buying mine from a supplier in which they fit like the originals. Haven't had to trim the pins yet for proper seating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back