The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #4,261 of 5,721
You make such good advertising!
biggrin.gif

Just ordered one dual from him for the buffer-position(I only use line-out), I'll be camping by the mailbox ... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4,262 of 5,721
I'll nth the love for the LME49990s. Got mine a few days ago and have been in audio Nirvana ever since. Both my Denon D5ks and 600s have had their "Denon Bass" tamed a bit in exchange for some absolutely phenomenal mid and high frequency performance. Increased detail, VERY much increased sound stage(depth) and positioning(forward sounding).

I've probably re-listened to my entire Apocalytpica collection several times over. Heavy Metal Cello never sounded this good. My one fear was what these OPAMPs would do to my electronic music (Trance, Techno, Industrial, etc) since I'm a bit of a bass head when it comes to these genres. While the bass is tamed it's performance is stellar. It's tight, responsive and with little roll over into other frequency ranges, and still manages to give you a good thumping if you want it :wink:. Got mine from FrugalPhile on Ebay as well. Quick shipping, good price, great quality work.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #4,263 of 5,721
Hey Stanley, 

You reckon these would work?

I'd like to add the LME49990's to my collection. And if I remember correctly, I want Singles not Duals. 

Anyway, I ordered 2 of these from China. If they end up being the wrong thing, I'll just make artwork out of them haha. They weren't that much.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #4,264 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey Stanley, 

I'd like to add the LME49990's to my collection. And if I remember correctly, I want Singles not Duals. 

Anyway, I ordered 2 of these from China. If they end up being the wrong thing, I'll just make artwork out of them haha. They weren't that much.

As far as I'm aware, you need TWO chips per DIP8 package. So those singles would NOT work. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #4,265 of 5,721
EDIT: 

I talked to the original seller, he agreed to wave $1 off from my first order as well as take out shipping for my 2nd order, and he is now sending me two dual to monos instead of two singles.

That should do it.

I will report back when I have these installed on my front channels. I might replace the daughter board OpAmps as well if these really end up giving the sound different folks have mentioned here.

May 1, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #4,266 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey Stanley, 

Nice try; these boards would be correct for the Texas Instruments® THS4032 dual op amp.  I'm after the THS4031 solo op amp, and its 600Ω-stable cousin the National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments® LME49990MA, for my own rig; and those need a three-layer adapter PCB that can take surface-mount resistors and ceramic caps for the output compensation on each of the top and bottom surface-mount op amps.

May 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #4,267 of 5,721
Got a picture of what you're talking about? Because I can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: Closest thing I can find to your description is this:

I went to the site written on the PCB, and I found a plethora of LME49990MA's with all kinds of bells and whistles here:

http://powerfulsound.com/product/list.html?cate_no=194

If someone here has the knowledge or the korean literacy, maybe they can point us at the correct adapter. 

EDIT 2: Narrowed them down to two. A single substrate and a dual substrate. Both hold LME49990MA's.

Single: http://powerfulsound.com/product/detail.html?product_no=560&cate_no=194&display_group=1
Double: http://powerfulsound.com/product/detail.html?product_no=559&cate_no=194&display_group=1

Just need someone to point me in the right direction and I will go ahead and try to purchase 2 of these and test.

May 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #4,268 of 5,721
I wonder how important those caps are, there are already compensating caps on the ST/STX - the Nichigon Gold ones. Those caps may be more important if one is DC:ing the output on the card. And if one is not DC:ing, the cheapo ones seem to work as someone in the thread is already using them ...

May 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #4,270 of 5,721
Quote:
I wonder how important those caps are, there are already compensating caps on the ST/STX - the Nichigon Gold ones. Those caps may be more important if one is DC:ing the output on the card. And if one is not DC:ing, the cheapo ones seem to work as someone in the thread is already using them ...

Those are not compensation cap , they are filter caps. Compensation caps are normally  surface mount ceramic or in larger circuits sometimes silver mica but mostly some form of ceramic. The type of capacitor is critical & may be different with different circuits. On my Adcom GFA545 I used own it came with a monolithic ceramic compensation cap & it was in large part responsible for the grainy sound of that amp. When I put a silver mica in it's place most of the grainy sound disappeared. The Adcom GFA 555 had the silver mica cap in it stock. The GFA555 used the same exact circuit design as the GFA545.Lay out was different as well as different power transistors.

May 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #4,271 of 5,721
Quote:
Got a picture of what you're talking about? Because I can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: Closest thing I can find to your description is this:

I went to the site written on the PCB, and I found a plethora of LME49990MA's with all kinds of bells and whistles here:

http://powerfulsound.com/product/list.html?cate_no=194

If someone here has the knowledge or the korean literacy, maybe they can point us at the correct adapter. 

EDIT 2: Narrowed them down to two. A single substrate and a dual substrate. Both hold LME49990MA's.

Single: http://powerfulsound.com/product/detail.html?product_no=560&cate_no=194&display_group=1
Double: http://powerfulsound.com/product/detail.html?product_no=559&cate_no=194&display_group=1

Just need someone to point me in the right direction and I will go ahead and try to purchase 2 of these and test.

Those capacitors must be for power-supply decoupling; they're far larger than I picture being needed for output compensation.  The compensating caps would be somewhere in the pico- to nanofarad range, probably between Pins 6 and 7 on both the THS4031 and LME49990MA.  (The THS4032 has no provision for "internal" output comp.)

May 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #4,272 of 5,721
So from what I've gathered so far, basically these are OpAmps that we wont be able to purchase, only make ourselves. Require some precise soldering and components that you wont find everywhere.

I'll try what the ebay guy sends me, I guess if I end up hating the output then I'll swap back to stock.

May 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #4,274 of 5,721
I'm trying to connect my new Xonar Essence ST card to an AV-receiver (Yamaha rx-v373 with Dali Zensor speakers 3.1), is this best done through anolog coaxial for DAC or using the digital output?
Just learned that the Yamaha receiver are using Burr Brown DACs just like the sound card. Would the SQ be the same using HDMI, from PC to receiver, without the sound card?

May 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #4,275 of 5,721
Quote:
I'm trying to connect my new Xonar Essence ST card to an AV-receiver (Yamaha rx-v373 with Dali Zensor speakers 3.1), is this best done through anolog coaxial for DAC or using the digital output?
Just learned that the Yamaha receiver are using Burr Brown DACs just like the sound card. Would the SQ be the same using HDMI, from PC to receiver, without the sound card?

Essence ST uses Burr Brown PCM1792A which is a high end stereo-DAC, your Yamaha-receiver most likely uses a much lesser model and a multichannel one to that. However, the bottleneck is not the DAC but most likely the receiver itself, to fully appreciate the difference in favor of Xonar ST I guess you need better gear. You can use the card as a HP-amplifier to get better sound than from the receiver, and as such the card is marketed, as a headamp-card!

It's not entirely impossible the difference may shine through despite the receiver, I have a Sony-receiver in the livingroom using a Wolfson-DAC and a Sony bluray-player also using a Wolfson-DAC but a slightly better model. Not as good as PCM1792A, but it can easily be heard that the analog out from the bluray-player sounds better than the sound through HDMI(on stereo-Music that is!). For one, one is bypassing the DSP of the receiver entirely, and I think it would be the same in your case if your receiver has a "source direct" button. You can't bypass the DSP of the receiver using HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back