The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,067 of 5,722
Quote:
I know I will be reprimanded for this, but... can somebody give me a synopsis on rolling the op amps on the Xonar Essence cards?

The thread is way too long, unorganized, and possibly outdated.

I will never use headphones, so I am only interested in rolling the buffer op amp.

What are people's thoughts and recommendations? I assume any op amp that I sub in here needs to be a dual circuit?

For the line-out (to the speakers), you would want to replace all three op-amps.
I use the AD797BR op-amps myself.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mod-1x-AD797BR-Dual-to-Mono-Op-amp-module-ultralow-noise-replace-a-dual-op-/261100530695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccacdec07

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #4,068 of 5,722
Quote:
This looks like a good deal for a 650 watt.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16817139005

I used to have one of these Corsair TX models, but the 750w version. It's a really good quality PSU, and I passed it on to someone else for their build. But in the process I upgraded to AX series, 750w again, and couldn't be happier. They're about $150 at NewEgg. The major difference between TX and AX, aside from effeciency, is fan noise. TX fans are always spinning while AX fans are at 0rpm up to 50% load (well within the range of power required to run the STX). This effectively makes the PSU silent during music listening, minus the slight coil hum. It's a great piece of hardware for an audiophile computer setup.   

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4,069 of 5,722
For the line-out (to the speakers), you would want to replace all three op-amps.
I use the AD797BR op-amps myself.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mod-1x-AD797BR-Dual-to-Mono-Op-amp-module-ultralow-noise-replace-a-dual-op-/261100530695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccacdec07

Would these be good to use if running the line out to a headphone amp and speakers? (I have a Niles switcher connected to the line out.) I don't know anything about electronic circuit design, but I thought it would worthwhile to switch out the opamps if I can find a set that offer a general improvement over the default. That way I can see what the difference is everyone is talking about. Plus, it would be nice to get a slight SQ improvement :)

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #4,070 of 5,722
Quote:
I used to have one of these Corsair TX models, but the 750w version. It's a really good quality PSU, and I passed it on to someone else for their build. But in the process I upgraded to AX series, 750w again, and couldn't be happier. They're about $150 at NewEgg. The major difference between TX and AX, aside from effeciency, is fan noise. TX fans are always spinning while AX fans are at 0rpm up to 50% load (well within the range of power required to run the STX). This effectively makes the PSU silent during music listening, minus the slight coil hum. It's a great piece of hardware for an audiophile computer setup.   

I just recently bought the HX750 a week ago...It didn't even occur to me that the top of the line AX was only $20 dollars more. I haven't opened the packaging or installed it yet though; what features would I get if I exchanged it for the AX750?

(I know I probably shouldn't worry about it, but it makes me wonder now that you mentioned it)

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4,071 of 5,722
Quote:
Quote:

I just recently bought the HX750 a week ago...It didn't even occur to me that the top of the line AX was only $20 dollars more. I haven't opened the packaging or installed it yet though; what features would I get if I exchanged it for the AX750?

(I know I probably shouldn't worry about it, but it makes me wonder now that you mentioned it)

http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/hx-gold According to this, HX750 has been updated and is actually very close to AX now, both rated 80 plus gold.  It also has a fanless mode  and changes rpm w/ temp. I was a bit off with the AX numbers, the fans turn on at 150w, or 20% load (but that's still well above the power required for playing music) and as you can see in the graphs, the HX750's fan has the same slope. The only difference between them is that the AX has fully modular cabling while the HX is semi-modular - fully modular can come in handy in the case of a PSU replacement since nothing needs to be re-routed. For the most part though, the HX looks to be just as quiet/effecient as the AX and there is no appreciable difference in performance. I wouldn't worry about it.          

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #4,073 of 5,722
Hi guys! i'm looking for the best opamps for STX

I want them to increase,

Clarity, details, soundstage, (3D) depth, dynamics, and a bit low end or can be same like with the default ones.

What is the best pick?

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #4,074 of 5,722
Quote:
Hi guys! i'm looking for the best opamps for STX

I want them to increase,

Clarity, details, soundstage, (3D) depth, dynamics, and a bit low end or can be same like with the default ones.

What is the best pick?

I am currently using some 49990's from frugalphile. They are very clear and have excellent detail. The soundstage isn't huge, but it's big enough for my taste.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4,075 of 5,722
Do any of you guys run your headphones directly from the line out of the ST/X? I tried running my cans through the RCA to 3.5 mm adapter and I think it sounds pretty damn good, but the output does lack power that way and likely can't drive cans like HD650 or HE500 to anywhere near their full potential. Still, I prefer the sound straight from the line out to line out + Fiio E11. I find that E11 masks some of the line out's clarity and resolution. The ST/X headphone out is much more powerful and more dynamic than straight line out, but can't quite match the line out in clarity, definition and detail. The headphone out is also noticeably brighter than the line out and the highs can get on my nerves sometimes. I am using the stock op amps though.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #4,076 of 5,722
Quote:
Do any of you guys run your headphones directly from the line out of the ST/X? I tried running my cans through the RCA to 3.5 mm adapter and I think it sounds pretty damn good, but the output does lack power that way and likely can't drive cans like HD650 or HE500 to anywhere near their full potential. Still, I prefer the sound straight from the line out to line out + Fiio E11. I find that E11 masks some of the line out's clarity and resolution. The ST/X headphone out is much more powerful and more dynamic than straight line out, but can't quite match the line out in clarity, definition and detail. The headphone out is also noticeably brighter than the line out and the highs can get on my nerves sometimes. I am using the stock op amps though.

Thanks for a suggestion to take under advisement - AKG®, beyerdynamic® and Sennheiser® all have 600Ω models, and the single and dual op amps that I am considering for upgrading my own Asus® CM1630-06's internal XONAR® are, with the exception of the National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments® LM6172IN, all rated for 600Ω loads.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #4,078 of 5,722
Quote:
Thanks, are they big improvement over stock? and what segment they are lacking?

I'm using headphone out because i don't have proper desktop amp at the moment (i only change opamps in IV position)
First i went from stock to LME49720 and there was noticeable improvement in terms of clarity, details and soundstage. There was a loss in bass quantity but increase in quality.

Then went from 49720 to 49990 (bought them from frugalphile) and improvement was even bigger. Not only there was even more details, but the sound was smoother (less fatigue).
This time bass also gained some quantity back. Imaging and sound separation in particular were exceptional.

Then went from LME49990 to AD797BR (bought them from audjade_chn) two weeks ago.
My Q701 went completely berserk. One would call this an out-of-head experience. I don't know what to say really, its that kind of sound that shuts you up and you just want to listen to music :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #4,079 of 5,722
Quote:
I'm using headphone out because i don't have proper desktop amp at the moment (i only change opamps in IV position)
First i went from stock to LME49720 and there was noticeable improvement in terms of clarity, details and soundstage. There was a loss in bass quantity but increase in quality.

Then went from 49720 to 49990 (bought them from frugalphile) and improvement was even bigger. Not only there was even more details, but the sound was smoother (less fatigue).
This time bass also gained some quantity back. Imaging and sound separation in particular were exceptional.

Then went from LME49990 to AD797BR (bought them from audjade_chn) two weeks ago.
My Q701 went completely berserk. One would call this an out-of-head experience. I don't know what to say really, its that kind of sound that shuts you up and you just want to listen to music :)

So you use the AD797BR  only in the I/V? What is a good opamp to use with AD797BR for the buffer? I generally don't trust sources from China as they use knockoff/fake opamps. How can that guy sell two AD797BRs on an adapter for $11 bucks !?!

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #4,080 of 5,722
Quote:
So you use the AD797BR in the I/V and buffer? I generally don't trust sources from China as they use knockoff/fake opamps. How can that guy sell two AD797BRs on an adapter for $11 bucks !?!

They are used op-amps, somewhere in China some 15 year old is getting 25 cents an hour to remove IC chips from used PCB boards.
I've had good luck from the seller Audio_Jade, on eBay.
That's were I got my pre-soldered AD797BRs from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back