The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #3,871 of 5,721
Quote:
The STX most certainly has an SP/DIF output. The bottom coaxial output is a comboport and you get an adapter for spdif.

Quote:
The STX most certainly has an SP/DIF output. The bottom coaxial output is a comboport and you get an adapter for spdif.

output yes, but I unfortunately need input :frowning2:

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #3,872 of 5,721
Quote:
output yes, but I unfortunately need input :frowning2:

Only the Xonar D2 and D2X have an S/PDIF input. These cards also have 7.1 channel analog output. If you use the Xonar STX with an external amplifier, you may consider getting one of these instead, although they tend to be overpriced currently.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #3,873 of 5,721
Hi, 

In the original post it is stated that the highest gain, for 300 to 600 ohms, would give the best quality. I will be using a pair of IEMs with a very low impedance connected via an amp, to my Essence ST.

Will the amplifier protect the IEMs from the high gain setting, and thus, should I max out the gain to achieve the best possible quality?

Also, should I connect the amp via the headphone or RCA output, and is there any difference in quality?

I am a bit of a newbie at all this!

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #3,874 of 5,721
Quote:

In the original post it is stated that the highest gain, for 300 to 600 ohms, would give the best quality. I will be using a pair of IEMs with a very low impedance connected via an amp, to my Essence ST.
Will the amplifier protect the IEMs from the high gain setting, and thus, should I max out the gain to achieve the best possible quality?
Also, should I connect the amp via the headphone or RCA output, and is there any difference in quality?

Sound quality wise, hooking the external amplifier to the Essence ST's RCA output should provide the best (slightly better?) sound quality, but you only get 2-channel stereo sound.
Hooked up to the Essence ST's headphone jack would give you access to Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound.

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #3,875 of 5,721
Quote:
Hi, 

I am a bit of a newbie at all this!

Thanks.

read the WIKI and set everything up correctly. 

By using 24bit, you negate the loss incurred by lowering the volume. Just don't push the volume over 76%, and set the gain to what ever works best, so for IEMs - low gain.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #3,877 of 5,721
Yes you only need two which you replace the current ones that are in your i/V sockets. Make sure you place them in the right direction. the circle on the op-amps should face the same direction of the notch thats on the op-amp socket. You will have to bend the pins straight so it will go into the socket as well.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #3,879 of 5,721
Can anyone here comment on 2xLME49720HA in I/V? I'm now using 2x49860NA (using headphone out so buffer is irrelevant), would the HA's be an improvement or just a side grade?

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3,880 of 5,721
Quote:
Can anyone here comment on 2xLME49720HA in I/V? I'm now using 2x49860NA (using headphone out so buffer is irrelevant), would the HA's be an improvement or just a side grade?

Side grade, its a flawed chip. upgrades are AD797, THS4032 and LME49990

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #3,881 of 5,721
Ok is there a summary on all the Chips and what they do? I found one for 3 and of those, the 49720 was considered the best, so I ordered those and now I hear they aren't the right ones to get. 

I am pairing with a HD650, so if there is a recommendation as it relates to that, I'd be keen to hear about it?

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3,882 of 5,721
Quote:
Ok is there a summary on all the Chips and what they do? I found one for 3 and of those, the 49720 was considered the best, so I ordered those and now I hear they aren't the right ones to get. 

I am pairing with a HD650, so if there is a recommendation as it relates to that, I'd be keen to hear about it?

your probably reading old info. 

LME49720 = LME49860 (this has better voltage range) but both are flawed and lack bass.

LME49990 is new and no one has complained about it, and the AD797 and it are the 2 most clear, the latter being unstable in most applications, but giving a hell of a lot of clarity. The ths4032 is my favourite mix of details and smooth sound (which the AD797 lacks.) 

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3,883 of 5,721
Thanks when you say unstable what do you mean? Like my PC will crash if I buy AD797's? I wouldn't want that at all. What kind of sound do the 499990 have?

I am hoping since I have been told that the 650's sometimes lack some clarity the 499990 would give some enhancement. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3,884 of 5,721
Quote:
Side grade, its a flawed chip. upgrades are AD797, THS4032 and LME49990

Well the AD797 and the LME49990 are both single channel so I would need 4 of them (and the adapters) to use in the I/V (I know there are some on eBay, but I'm in Europe and the shipping cost kills, I tried searching for those adapters but couldn't find locally).
I guess my only option is with the THS4032 since it's dual channel and I would only require 2 of them. I would still need to find the adapters so I can solder them (since they are SMD), but I guess that wouldn't be such a big problem as those "dual" adapters.
Or just do something like this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/89714/make-yourself-soic8-to-dip8-adapter-56k-warnings

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #3,885 of 5,721
Quote:
Well the AD797 and the LME49990 are both single channel so I would need 4 of them (and the adapters) to use in the I/V (I know there are some on eBay, but I'm in Europe and the shipping cost kills, I tried searching for those adapters but couldn't find locally).
I guess my only option is with the THS4032 since it's dual channel and I would only require 2 of them. I would still need to find the adapters so I can solder them (since they are SMD), but I guess that wouldn't be such a big problem as those "dual" adapters.
Or just do something like this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/89714/make-yourself-soic8-to-dip8-adapter-56k-warnings

Personally, I would say just spend the cash and buy three LME49990 (6 chips) pre-soldered adapters, cost around $60 (Frugalphile, on eBay).
Those op-amps are very tiny.
I bought 10 LME49990 chips and the adapters and solder and the solding iron.
When I finally open the box with the bare op-amps, and saw how small the op-amps are, I knew I was in for problems.
(Me having 48 year old eyes, is also part of the problem with soldering little op-amps)
I wish I had just bought the pre-soldered, before wasting my cash on "parts".
I ended up buying pre-soldered AD797BRs from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back