The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #3,856 of 5,721
Quote:
I guess the 250-Ohm version is the "safe" recommendation.
Usually the (big) price difference, between the 250-Ohm to 600-Ohm headphones is not worth it to some people.
I like to think buy the 250-Ohm and a cheaper sound card and spend the extra cash towards a better amp.
If money is no option, then get the 600-Ohm, if your willing to pay a for a little bit better.
As your looking at the DT990, it might be a little more worth it, as most people will notice the difference for the DT990.

Maybe get the Essence STX, but hold out on buying the DT990 600-Ohm until you finding a used one for a good price.

I already have an STX and I can get the DT 990 600 ohm and 250 ohm for the same price so that isn't an issue.  I was just wondering which headphone would be better for the soundcard disregarding price. 
Quote:

If you can get the 600 Ω version at a decent price, it is worth giving a try with the Xonar STX. The card can output nearly 7 Volts (RMS, at the highest gain setting) into that impedance with very little distortion, and that should be enough for the majority of people. For comparison, many use 250 Ω DTxx0 and even AKG K70x/Q701 headphones from the FiiO E11, and think that combination is fine, while the STX powers the DT990-600Ω better.

Of course, choosing 250 Ω instead has the obvious advantage that it is reasonably usable from many other devices with lower voltage output than that of the Xonar STX.

I don't really plan to use it on many devices and am content just using it with my computer for now.

So I guess I should go for the 600 ohm then?  Thanks for the input guys.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #3,857 of 5,721
Quote:
I already have an STX and I can get the DT 990 600 ohm and 250 ohm for the same price so that isn't an issue.  I was just wondering which headphone would be better for the soundcard disregarding price. 
I don't really plan to use it on many devices and am content just using it with my computer for now.

Go for it. ;p

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #3,858 of 5,721
Quote:

Same price, then get the 600-Ohm.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #3,861 of 5,721

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3,862 of 5,721
Since making my new gaming computer, I have been swayed into pc gaming favoritism over console gaming; however, I still want to play certain xbox 360 titles like Halo 4 when it comes out.  After some research and thought, I realized that I could indeed get the best of both worlds: xbox 360 specific titles in combo with my k701's and Asus STX.  I have even seen that it is possible to bypass the need for an xbox controller by using an adapter that allows one to use a mouse and keyboard!

I have seen that many people have had success routing their xbox 360 audio through their pc soundcard optical input and then back out through headphones or pc speakers, etc.  Knowing that I have an optical adapter for my xbox that allows connection to my receiver, I would like to use the same adapter to plug the optical into my Xonar STX and play the video through my hdmi ready monitor (my adapter provides the necessary split for this to work).

The question is, does the STX allow Optical Input -> Asus Audio Center -> Headphones?

Cheers!

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3,863 of 5,721
Quote:
Since making my new gaming computer, I have been swayed into pc gaming favoritism over console gaming; however, I still want to play certain xbox 360 titles like Halo 4 when it comes out.  After some research and thought, I realized that I could indeed get the best of both worlds: xbox 360 specific titles in combo with my k701's and Asus STX.  I have even seen that it is possible to bypass the need for an xbox controller by using an adapter that allows one to use a mouse and keyboard!
I have seen that many people have had success routing their xbox 360 audio through their pc soundcard optical input and then back out through headphones or pc speakers, etc.  Knowing that I have an optical adapter for my xbox that allows connection to my receiver, I would like to use the same adapter to plug the optical into my Xonar STX and play the video through my hdmi ready monitor (my adapter provides the necessary split for this to work).
The question is, does the STX allow Optical Input -> Asus Audio Center -> Headphones?

I'm fairly sure the Essence STX does not have an S/PDIF (optical) input.
If your receiver comes with HDMI, can't you connect it to your monitor's second input?
What make and model receiver is it?

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #3,864 of 5,721
Quote:
I'm fairly sure the Essence STX does not have an S/PDIF (optical) input.
If your receiver comes with HDMI, can't you connect it to your monitor's second input?
What make and model receiver is it?

Absolutely true, the only problem is that I am trying to avoid the use of my receiver altogether as I want to utilize the dolby headphone option of my STX.  I guess that rules out the optical method, then.  Fortunately, there are various adapters made for the xbox that may allow this to work, for example, an xbox -> VGA/rca input adapter -> monitor/STX line in

Not sure if this would negate the functionality of dolby headphone. would the line in be the only input available on the STX?

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3,865 of 5,721
Quote:
Absolutely true, the only problem is that I am trying to avoid the use of my receiver altogether as I want to utilize the Dolby Headphone option of my STX.  I guess that rules out the optical method, then.  Fortunately, there are various adapters made for the xbox that may allow this to work, for example, an xbox -> VGA/rca input adapter -> monitor/STX line in

Not sure if this would negate the functionality of Dolby Headphone. would the line in be the only input available on the STX?

The line-in is only 2-channels, really need 6-channels (5.1) for surround sound.
If the xBox supports and outputs the old Dolby Surround, might be a very slim chance the 2-channel might provide for surround sound.
How do you know your receiver does not support Dolby Headphone?
Make and model of receiver?

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,866 of 5,721
Quote:
The line-in is only 2-channels, really need 6-channels (5.1) for surround sound.
If the xBox supports and outputs the old Dolby Surround, might be a very slim chance the 2-channel might provide for surround sound.
How do you know your receiver does not support Dolby Headphone?
Make and model of receiver?

Ahh very good point, this may pose a problem.  I have an Onkyo receiver, do not know the model and it is not accessible right now as I had to leave it with family when moving into a new flat due to space issues.  What I do know is that previous attempts of xbox -> receiver -> cans did not allow a specific dolby headphone option or any sort of apparent virtual surround...the receiver would automatically switch to analog :frowning2: Will update asap when I know the model.  For the purposes of my current situation (without access to my beloved receiver), it looks like I may have to sacrifice true 5.1 if I want to use xbox -> STX.

cheers

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #3,867 of 5,721
Quote:
Ahh very good point, this may pose a problem.  I have an Onkyo receiver, do not know the model and it is not accessible right now as I had to leave it with family when moving into a new flat due to space issues.  What I do know is that previous attempts of xbox -> receiver -> cans did not allow a specific dolby headphone option or any sort of apparent virtual surround...the receiver would automatically switch to analog :frowning2: Will update asap when I know the model.  For the purposes of my current situation (without access to my beloved receiver), it looks like I may have to sacrifice true 5.1 if I want to use xbox -> STX.

Just thought (brain F@rt) of something, get a TBS (Turtle Beach Systems) DSS.
Connect the optical from the Xbox to the TBS DSS, connect USB from PC to DSS for power, run a 3.5mm (1/8", Mini-jack) male to male, from the DSS headphone output to the mic in on the STX.
So the TDS DDS does the surround sound processing and outputs pre-proceesed Dolby Headphone 5.1 (or whatever the DSS using for processing surround sound).
I'm assuming the STX can send the mic-in signal to the headphones.

You could also sell off you Onkyo receiver (I've owned three myself) and get a Yamaha receiver, which comes with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's version of headphone surround sound.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #3,868 of 5,721
Quote:
Just thought (brain F@rt) of something, get a TBS (Turtle Beach Systems) DSS.
Connect the optical from the Xbox to the TBS DSS, connect USB from PC to DSS for power, run a 3.5mm (1/8", Mini-jack) male to male, from the DSS headphone output to the mic in on the STX.
So the TDS DDS does the surround sound processing and outputs pre-proceesed Dolby Headphone 5.1 (or whatever the DSS using for processing surround sound).
I'm assuming the STX can send the mic-in signal to the headphones.

You could also sell off you Onkyo receiver (I've owned three myself) and get a Yamaha receiver, which comes with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's version of headphone surround sound.

this is brilliant, thank you.  If I get the TBS DSS, is there a way to still get the microphone function to work? Or would that have to be sacrificed, perhaps substituted with a usb mic? Or re-enabling onboard audio and plugging a mic into that perhaps

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,869 of 5,721
Quote:
This is brilliant, thank you.  If I get the TBS DSS, is there a way to still get the microphone function to work? Or would that have to be sacrificed, perhaps substituted with a usb mic? Or re-enabling onboard audio and plugging a mic into that perhaps

I would assuming you would use whatever mic input is built into the Xbox itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back