The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,811 of 5,721
Quote:
Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OV789U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

My guesses so far as to the problem:
  1. Not enough power from the power supply unit? Or I just have crappy/sketchy one in general?
  2. Malfunction with my RAM (even though my system recognizes all 16GB that I installed)?
  3. sound card driver? (I have reinstalled the latest driver multiple times)
  4. sound card itself is defective (hard to believe seeing as how everything works, save for the random microstuttering)
At this point I am pretty stuck, but have a feeling you guys may have a better clue than me, any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Update your motherboard's chip set drivers to the latest version
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

Try the third party drivers "Unified Xonar Drivers" from the website Brainbit.

You did disable the on-board audio, in your motherboard's bios?

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #3,813 of 5,721
Quote:
Update your motherboard's chip set drivers to the latest version
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

Try the third party drivers "Unified Xonar Drivers" from the website Brainbit.

You did disable the on-board audio, in your motherboard's bios?

yes I disabled the on-board audio in bios, and now I will try the chip set drivers as well as finding the Unified Xonar Drivers.  On the link you provided, will I also need the other two downloads for RAID and RAIDXPERT? Thanks!

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #3,814 of 5,721
Quote:
okay will try this right now, thank you for the quick help! will update how it goes

I had the same issue and it drove me nuts. Took me 2 solid hours but finally figured out it was a monitor program I had from Asus for my motherboard, that allowed overclocking, etc. Caused a spike every 5 seconds and every minute one of those was enough to clip the sound. Drove me nuts! 

good luck with it

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3,815 of 5,721
Quote:
Yes I disabled the on-board audio in bios, and now I will try the chip set drivers as well as finding the Unified Xonar Drivers.  On the link you provided, will I also need the other two downloads for RAID and RAIDXPERT? Thanks!

The RAID & RAIDEXPERT are drivers that I really doubt you have a need for.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #3,816 of 5,721
big thank you to PurpleAngel and elwappo for the very helpful links and advice, I am currently testing everything to see if there are any more audio drops...so far so good.  I installed the latest Unified Xonar Drivers as well as updated bios after testing my latency and now it seems to be much more stable...more testing to come.

Quick question, will adjusting the latency via the taskbar icon help at all? (right click on the Asus Audio Center Icon in taskbar --> click "Asus Xonar Asio" --> gives option to change bit depth and latency...any recommend settings I should use?

Cheers

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #3,817 of 5,721
Quote:
big thank you to PurpleAngel and elwappo for the very helpful links and advice, I am currently testing everything to see if there are any more audio drops...so far so good.  I installed the latest Unified Xonar Drivers as well as updated bios after testing my latency and now it seems to be much more stable...more testing to come.

Quick question, will adjusting the latency via the taskbar icon help at all? (right click on the Asus Audio Center Icon in taskbar --> click "Asus Xonar Asio" --> gives option to change bit depth and latency...any recommend settings I should use?

Cheers

asio latency is mostly for recording.  theres no effect on playback and sq, only a slight delay in vsts and stuff like visualizations
i have mine at 300, and my foobar buffer length at 3000.  mostly since i like playing games with music on

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #3,818 of 5,721
Quote:

Cheers

The dpc latency tester is testing the whole machine, and I don't think adjusting it in the taskbar would affect much. Usually the dpc software shows if you have any major issues with latency. 

Does anyone else not use the Xonar Asio? I find I get better results from using direct sound WASAPI than the "speaker out" through Xonar...

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #3,819 of 5,721
update: ive encountered the audio drops again :frowning2: not sure why or where they came from so I started the latency checker and it showed some disappointing results (pictured).  I then tried going into device manager to disable various devices but to avail 

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3,820 of 5,721
Quote:
update: ive encountered the audio drops again :frowning2: not sure why or where they came from so I started the latency checker and it showed some disappointing results (pictured).  I then tried going into device manager to disable various devices but to avail 

Oh my god....  that will definitely do it. At a bare minimum you should be under 150us.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3,823 of 5,721
I would guess due to the somewhat normal interval of those peaks it is a monitoring software and not hardware. 

Step 1: Update ALL of your drivers. See if that helps

Step 2: Figure out every piece of software that is running and begin to close it. Did your motherboard come with any software you use? 

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #3,824 of 5,721
Quote:
I would guess due to the somewhat normal interval of those peaks it is a monitoring software and not hardware. 

Step 1: Update ALL of your drivers. See if that helps

Step 2: Figure out every piece of software that is running and begin to close it. Did your motherboard come with any software you use? 

sounds, good.  it looks like all my drivers are up to date as far as I can tell.  Yes, my motherboard did come with software, all of which I installed, and seemingly is up to date...will look further into it, however.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #3,825 of 5,721
latest update:

found out the program that was doing it.  It's called EasyTune6, something that came with my motherboard and is used for overclocking, thermostat, fan control, etc.  It was set to monitor my temperature every 3 seconds which is what was creating all the annoying, yet consistent spikes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back