The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3,766 of 5,721
Yes; an amplifier with a lower output impedance would be even better, but it only makes a small difference. You could also use the 250 Ω version, in case you avoided that for being worried that the card cannot drive it. It would work fine, although the coiled cord may be somewhat inconvenient if you want to use the rear headphone jack on the card without an extension cable.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #3,767 of 5,721
Quote:
Hi all, new here

I have this soundcard and have been looking for a good pair of cans to go with it, dont want to spend more than £100. I game a lot, listen to a wide variety of music but mainly rock/metal and some hip hop. I currently have a set of Steelseries Siberia which are just not cutting it. I have been looking at the Sennheiser 518's which seem good value for money but will they go well with this card? Definitely want an open set of circumaural cans, noise leakage is not a problem and I appreciate a wide soundstage. 

The Essence STX is just fine at driving DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3,768 of 5,721
Thanks for the replies, I may go with the 250 ohm set as I doubt I'll be leaving the house in them much. Does anyone have experience of both the senn 518s and the 770's? I'm guessing the 770's are the better sounding set. Tempted by the 990's too but I've got to draw the line somewhere!

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #3,769 of 5,721
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I may go with the 250 ohm set as I doubt I'll be leaving the house in them much. Does anyone have experience of both the Senn 518s and the 770's? I'm guessing the 770's are the better sounding set. Tempted by the 990's too but I've got to draw the line somewhere!

As I prefer open headphones, I will use my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm over the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
I also prefer (a little) the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm over the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
I believe the Senn HD518 is a good choice for unamped source(s) or motherboard built-in audio.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #3,771 of 5,721
I got three DUAL SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER in the mail here the other day, and I'm wondering if you guys would exchange all 3 opamps for those if you were using a HE-400 headphone? Or would you recommend another combo? Really loving them so far, mine is rev3, and they sounded very bright at first, but with Dolby headphone enabled they are excellent. A huge upgrade from DT 770 80 ohm!

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3,773 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey guys I recently got a Asus Xonar Essence ST..was wondering if someone could recommend me a set of really nice headphones.  ill be using for gaming movies and music thanks..price range about 400

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm or Premium 600-Ohm.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,774 of 5,721
Tried with three DUAL SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER that I got in the mail from frugalphile, but to me I feel like the standard opams with Dolby enabled sound better or little more clean? With the 49990 i feel they are better with no Dolby enabled, kinda weird.

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3,775 of 5,721
Quote:
Tried with three DUAL SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER that I got in the mail from frugalphile, but to me I feel like the standard opams with Dolby enabled sound better or little more clean? With the 49990 i feel they are better with no Dolby enabled, kinda weird.

In your opinion, how does the LME49990 change the sound in comparison to the stock opamps?

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3,776 of 5,721
Quote:

Dolby headphone degrades sound quality so much it may not even be a fair comparison. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #3,777 of 5,721
Quote:

In your opinion, how does the LME49990 change the sound in comparison to the stock opamps?

Making the sound more neutral, the bass isn't as prominent, the bass is still very good though, it has a sweeter edge to it. I have a feeling the LME49990 is a better long term solution. I switched my headphones earpads as well from pleather to velour now, and I think I prefer the LME49990 without Dolby. What I enjoyed with the standard opams with Dolby enabled was how fun they sounded. I really need to change them back to see if this was the case. With standard opams and no Dolby, they sounded too bright.

Right now the LME49990 are sounding very good. Only problem is that I can hear some rattling and crackling on the sound with certain tracks, maybe its just my HE-400 rev3 acting up, I've already contacted HIFiMAN about getting them replaced because some audible peak, see here.

Anyone else using the LME49990 and can comment on them? How did they change the sound for you?

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #3,778 of 5,721
EDIT: I've whopped my original questions into a quote rather than delete them, but after a night's worth of asking around, merciless digging, and finally discovering correct terminology, I'm happy with my understanding of how everything works =]

Quote:
Hey guys - I've got a question about volume.

I've got this card with stock Opamps currently, and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s. If I'm playing an average song at max volume on windows with the headphone amp on 0, what kind of decibels will I be reaching?

Is it based on the headphones, or does the card factor into it?
Will I be hitting the 100dB peak for the phones by running the card at full volume? (Note that I can't hear any distortion)
If not, what kind of dB will I be hitting?
And also if not, what would have to change for the headphones to hit 100dB?

When I turn the volume up or down on the PC, at what point is it playing the "true" sound of the music, and at what point do I start to loose the quieter bits? Is full PC volume the true sound being replicated, and is the sound being distorted slightly when the volume is reduced on the PC?

I also have a sort of related question - What exactly is the reason that sound distorts when you go over the "top" of the waveform?

I know they're basic questions - But I'm finding it hard to find a straight answer for any of them. I figured this thread would be a decent place to ask, since I guess it's relative to the sound card.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #3,779 of 5,721
Hi my name is alex, new to this forum, STX owner, and thanks to the useful information I found on this thread I took a leap and ordered some op amps:

(3) DUAL SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER

(2) LME49720NA 

Will post my results after I have the chance to test them. :)

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #3,780 of 5,721
Hi my name is alex, new to this forum, STX owner, and thanks to the useful information I found on this thread I took a leap and ordered some op amps:

(3) DUAL SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER

(2) LME49720NA 

Will post my results after I have the chance to test them. :)

I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the 49990! Did you order from frugalphile@ebay as well? What headphones are you using with your STX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back