The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3,406 of 5,721
Quote:
Do I have to uninstall previous drivers to instal these?
Also PurpleAngel, just for curiosity, did you use your dt990/250 on Xonar audio center with high gain or extra high gain?

I usually just install the "Xonar Unified Drivers" over Asus's.
Normally use the "High Gain 64~300 Ohm" with the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.
But right this second I'm trying "Extra high Gain 300~600 Ohm", music sound fine (BeeGees- Staying alive).

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #3,407 of 5,721
My Xonar control panel does not work at all W7 64 bit...any ideas....using latest drivers for Essence stx

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3,408 of 5,721
Quote:
My Xonar control panel does not work at all W7 64 bit...any ideas....using latest drivers for Essence STX

Try the "Unified Xonar Drivers" at Brainbit.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #3,409 of 5,721
Quote:
Try the "Unified Xonar Drivers" at Brainbit.

hmmm....finally got it working....had a heck of a time getting drivers to install....working great now....hope it stays that way.

If it doe not I will try the drivers you suggest...thanks.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3,410 of 5,721
Update...Very happily jamming with my Essence Stx and Grados......
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #3,411 of 5,721
Quote:
hmmm....finally got it working....had a heck of a time getting drivers to install....working great now....hope it stays that way.

If it doe not I will try the drivers you suggest...thanks.

Sometimes I've had some minor problems installing drivers for the Xonar, but usually I resolve the problem in little time.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #3,412 of 5,721
Three installs for me and I swear that I did it the same all three times.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #3,413 of 5,721
Jul 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #3,414 of 5,721
Hey,

I've been reading up about this card the past few days,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609736/dac-and-amp-or-xonar-stx

j
ust got done reading that topic about the hiss problem.

Couple of questions about the card in general though:

Is hiss problem noticable on haedphones with alot of ohm rating or so, such as HD650 etc or rather, for the HD650 does anyone notice it? lol 

is the amp for the phones neutral like comparable to something like say the O2 amp (if that is neutral that is) aka I don't want to hype certain parts I'd rather have just increase the signal from the phones

Anyway, this thing looks perfect for what I want to do besides the hiss problem but I don't think it's that big of an issue.

Also, is there any difference between ST and STX? Does the ST fix the hiss or anything?

And, I don't quite get what op-amps are, are they just for hyping up certain parts or do they generally make the hole quality level of amplication better or something?

FWIW I'm getting this for mixing with phones inside a DAW and Ill prob connect two monitors with RCAs so I want accuracy the most, this thing is perfect pricerange for me atm lol and has all the features I need + extra

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3,415 of 5,721
Quote:
Hey,

I've been reading up about this card the past few days,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609736/dac-and-amp-or-xonar-stx

j
ust got done reading that topic about the hiss problem.

Couple of questions about the card in general though:

Is hiss problem noticable on haedphones with alot of ohm rating or so, such as HD650 etc or rather, for the HD650 does anyone notice it? lol 
Nah shouldn't be a problem with that

is the amp for the phones neutral like comparable to something like say the O2 amp (if that is neutral that is) aka I don't want to hype certain parts I'd rather have just increase the signal from the phones
the stock JRC opamps are bass heavy, after putting in THS4032 in the I/V section its pretty damn neutral

Anyway, this thing looks perfect for what I want to do besides the hiss problem but I don't think it's that big of an issue.

Also, is there any difference between ST and STX? Does the ST fix the hiss or anything?
ST has a better clock timer. so less jitter,

And, I don't quite get what op-amps are, are they just for hyping up certain parts or do they generally make the hole quality level of amplication better or something?
It depends on the headphones, it barely makes any difference on the Denons I have, but makes one monumental difference on the AKG K242HD I have, and I'm willing to bet the HD650 will fall into the latter category, also again, stick to the THS4032, its the most neutral.

FWIW I'm getting this for mixing with phones inside a DAW and Ill prob connect two monitors with RCAs so I want accuracy the most, this thing is perfect pricerange for me atm lol and has all the features I need + extra
be prepared to do some spannering in settings, you will haveto install the UNiXonar drivers, and turn OFF hardware buffering, which will make it use more CPU, but you will haveto. THat should bring the latency from an unbearable 200ms to <50ms. and then its fine for those applications. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #3,416 of 5,721
I have STX with LME49860 opamps in I/V section and using UniXonar 1.41, never heard any hiss neither with D7000 nor with currently for sale HD650 since they lack deep bass most easily noticeable with classical and jazz but also affecting other music styles. By the way i tried HD650 with 5 different setups at the recent NYC meet and only Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 was perfect match for them while others had the same problem

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #3,417 of 5,721
Quote:
I have STX with LME49860 opamps in I/V section and using UniXonar 1.41, never heard any hiss neither with D7000 nor with currently for sale HD650 since they lack deep bass most easily noticeable with classical and jazz but also affecting other music styles. By the way i tried HD650 with 5 different setups at the recent NYC meet and only Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 was perfect match for them while others had the same problem

try the THS4032 opamps, and build an impedance adapter, the latter having the greater effect. If I can do it, anyone can. Or try find an ebay electronics guy to do it.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #3,418 of 5,721
Thanks! Especially for that latency trick

Should I get an adapter too? 

the cpu thing: I currently use onboard, it won't use alot more cpu then that? I might upgrade my cpu to get more cores while i'm at it lol

I don't have the 650s, but I'm planning on getting a pair around their price and since I've used sennheiser in the past thought I'd get them again lol

Glad I got this card thing worked out though!

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #3,419 of 5,721
Quote:
Thanks! Especially for that latency trick

Should I get an adapter too? 

the cpu thing: I currently use onboard, it won't use alot more cpu then that? I might upgrade my cpu to get more cores while i'm at it lol

I don't have the 650s, but I'm planning on getting a pair around their price and since I've used sennheiser in the past thought I'd get them again lol

Glad I got this card thing worked out though!

Personally I would get the AKG K242hd or AKG k240mkii, they are more analytical, and could be more useful for your needs, and a lot cheaper, but don't underestimate their sound quality, its quite frightening depending what you plug them into. 

onboard CPU?!?! Oh wait you mean onboard soundcard, it will, it can chow a fair amount, especially with apps like frooty loops running. But a quad core should be fine. 

No you won't need an impedance adapter, the senns are 600ohm, the output impedance on the STX is 10 ohm that 1:60 ratio, thats fine, the target ratio is above 1:25 and minimum 1:8. So for the denons which are 25ohm its normal ratio is 1:2.5 which is horrid. ANd don't worry about the AKGs, they are special, not really affected by it.

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #3,420 of 5,721
I just purchased 3 of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/190682726763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1089wt_922

am assuming I don't need anything other than poping out the default opamps and poping these in correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back