The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3,391 of 5,721
Quote:
I have had exactly that Setup, but was disappointed with the LME49860NA compared to the LME49720NA. Now i'd like to try the famous LME49990,
as many PPL said it's better sounding than the LME49720NA Metalcap Version. My Cans are the Sennheiser HD 650.

The LME49860NA and LME49720NA are the same op-amp, the LME49860NA just has a better voltage range.
A seller (Frugalphile) on eBay sels pre-soldered LME49990 op-amps, $18 each, $1.99 shipping (from Canada).

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3,392 of 5,721
In my experiments with this card I have not found differences in sound quality from using different programs. The jitter is determined by the hardware which is quite good & very low by even high end standards however I have found that the card is very responsive to hardware improvements such as direct coupling & power supply mods. I have not really experimented with opamps as yet as my results from power supply & direct coupling mods have been incredably good. If I were to experiment with opamps I would go with the LME49990 single channel opamp as my power supply mods are similar in nature to the recomended ones for that opamp by the manufacturer for that opamp, Just different type of caps.

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,393 of 5,721
Just bought me a new Xonar Essence STX....should be here in a week...it will bring my Grado 325is to life.

What are the best drivers for win 7 64 bit

I want a good solid set of drivers and they need to play nice with win 7 64 bit.

Thanks for any suggestions

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3,394 of 5,721
Quote:
Just bought me a new Xonar Essence STX....should be here in a week...it will bring my Grado 325is to life.
What are the best drivers for win 7 64 bit
I want a good solid set of drivers and they need to play nice with win 7 64 bit.

The website Brainbit has third party drives "Unified Xonar Drivers".

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,395 of 5,721
You using these with no problems?

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #3,397 of 5,721
Quote:
Damn! I can't get it to work under GNU/Linux.
http://i.imgbox.com/aaypithb.png
http://i.imgbox.com/aagVvQQq.png

It's being detected, but no sound is coming out.

Make sure that the mixer is configured correctly (analog output etc.), and that playback software is really using the STX, rather than onboard audio. With your current configuration, that would be card #1 (ALSA device "hw:1,0"). Alternatively, you could change the order of cards (it depends on the distribution how to do it exactly) so that the Xonar becomes card #0 (the default) and the onboard is card #1.

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3,399 of 5,721
Quote:
In my experiments with this card I have not found differences in sound quality from using different programs. The jitter is determined by the hardware which is quite good & very low by even high end standards however I have found that the card is very responsive to hardware improvements such as direct coupling & power supply mods. I have not really experimented with opamps as yet as my results from power supply & direct coupling mods have been incredably good. If I were to experiment with opamps I would go with the LME49990 single channel opamp as my power supply mods are similar in nature to the recomended ones for that opamp by the manufacturer for that opamp, Just different type of caps.

I followed Germanium's step to modify my ST. Although my soldering technique is crude, the sound improvement is astonishing.
The sound immediately after mod was gorgeous and prosperous. After a couple of days it became even better and majestic.
I'm now wondering how is it compared with essence ONE...
rolleyes.gif

I've used 6 X 2uF 2PPMFX Multicap + 2 X 0.047uF RTX Multicap. Asus should have designed the card with the parallized decoupling caps in the analogue section.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,401 of 5,721
Quote:
You using these with no problems?

As far as my brain can remember, I've had no problems using the Xonar Unified Drivers.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #3,402 of 5,721
As of 3 July 2012, I am testing the Unified XONAR® Driver, Version 1.61, by Brainbit, in DPC Low-Latency mode in my Asus® CM1630-06 (with EAH6850/2DIS/1GD5 video and XONARESSENCESTX/A audio) under Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.1.7601).  Version 1.61 uses a mod of a later C-Media® driver (viz., Release 1800) than is officially supported by ASUSTeK Computer (viz., Release 1794, in Driver WinRAR 7.12.8.1794) for DSP chips earlier than the CMI-8888DHT (in the ROG™ XONAR® Phoebus™).  Although I noticed no change on the playback side from the new driver, the UNi XONAR® Driver definitely shortens the tracking delay to a few milliseconds when recording from the Microphone Input.  (Brainbit claims similar improvement for the Auzentech® X-Meridian™ 7.1.)

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #3,403 of 5,721
Quote:
I followed Germanium's step to modify my ST. Although my soldering technique is crude, the sound improvement is astonishing.
The sound immediately after mod was gorgeous and prosperous. After a couple of days it became even better and majestic.
I'm now wondering how is it compared with essence ONE...
rolleyes.gif

I've used 6 X 2uF 2PPMFX Multicap + 2 X 0.047uF RTX Multicap. Asus should have designed the card with the parallized decoupling caps in the analogue section.

Glad you like it. I figured that if somone were to try it they would love it.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3,405 of 5,721
Quote:

do i have to uninstall previous drivers to instal these?

Also PurpleAngel, just for curiosity, did you use your dt990/250 on xonar audio center with high gain or extra high gain?

yes, and use DriverSweeper, and then go for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back