The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 27, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #3,376 of 5,722
Quote:
Currently using foobar, and I'm having this problem where the music plays about 1.5x faster. I have to hit stop, then hit play again for it to go back to normal. But I'm using WASAPI > Digital.

What do you recommend as a decent Upsampler without having to switch players. I do have Winamp, but I don't really use it anymore.

And.. 200 hours? Man.. I might as well by a USB DAC and hook my old laptop and leave them both in the closet to burn for a few weeks haha.. That's the only way I can see that happening in 8 days... Isn't that a bit extreme? 8 days of continuous playback to break em in.. But you know your stuff so I'm not going to argue :p

Err over digital skip the upsampling altogether,its more for the analogue outputs, but 24bit is still a must. 
I use MusicBee, not foobar, and MusicBee uses the Bass library, which has a good one built in (IME) Hopefully someone else can answer you on that one.

And yes, 200 hours... they are AKG's it takes forever. The bass tightens up first, the highs tame last.  I did it while listening, but if you wanna skip it, use a burn in application, there are a few (I think pink noise is the best?) 

But you should listen to them a bit aswell, as the pads soften, it improves SQ, from a better seal (why does that look wrong?) etc.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #3,377 of 5,722
Hi guys,

I've been using the audio-technica ATH-AD900 with a xonar essence STX for a few years, but they are finally falling apart, so I'm looking to buy some new headphones. Any recommendations for a budget to about 400 AUD? I was looking at the DT880 but read that the xonar essence STX may not be capable of driving them well (http://www.head-fi.org/t/569147/dt880s-250-ohms-with-a-xonar-essence-stx).

I do a whole lot of gaming, but music is more important to me. My music listening crosses several genres, including prog metal, prog rock, acoustic guitar, female vocals, neoclassical, and such. 

:))

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #3,378 of 5,722
Quote:
Hi guys,

I've been using the audio-technica ATH-AD900 with a xonar essence STX for a few years, but they are finally falling apart, so I'm looking to buy some new headphones. Any recommendations for a budget to about 400 AUD? I was looking at the DT880 but read that the xonar essence STX may not be capable of driving them well (http://www.head-fi.org/t/569147/dt880s-250-ohms-with-a-xonar-essence-stx).

I do a whole lot of gaming, but music is more important to me. My music listening crosses several genres, including prog metal, prog rock, acoustic guitar, female vocals, neoclassical, and such. 

:))

I don't know how accurate that guys figures are. The Beyers seem a good match. But if you want some more fun, Buy a AKG K242HD, or K240mkII, thye are dirt cheap, and swap the opamps out with THS4032 (just in the I/V section) its a good match, and will have you blown away at the price, they outperform my D2000 in this setup (even when I give it an impedance decreasing adapter) by a fair amount. And the soundstage/imaging is great for gaming. 

Save the rest of the money and put it towards a desktop tube amp, (The AKGs scale well) and that could give you more options to play with in terms of SS. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3,379 of 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any recommendations for a budget to about 400 AUD? I was looking at the DT880 but read that the xonar essence STX may not be capable of driving them well (http://www.head-fi.org/t/569147/dt880s-250-ohms-with-a-xonar-essence-stx).

I have both (the 250 Ω version of the DT880, with which I do not even use the highest gain setting) and it is not true that the built-in amplifier on the Xonar STX cannot drive them well, nor would it make sense based on specs and measurements.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #3,381 of 5,722
Using 2xLME49720NA + LM6172IN for one afternoon. I am liking this setup very much on my AD700's. It makes my pink floyd tracks sound a lot more lively, better detail. Best $30 I've spent in months.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #3,383 of 5,722
Jun 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3,384 of 5,722
I'm currently testing the AKG k240's with my Xonar and I'm noticing that I can push the volume all the way up to 100% and the headphones are moderately loud, loud enough for me to enjoy listening to a track but I wish they could go a bit louder. Is this normal? I'm currently running them with Normal impedance (0-60 ohms), the headphones have "55 ohms" written on them so I suppose that's correct. HF mode on, no Dolby, and audio maxed out from source.

I have not received my THS4032's yet, so I haven't been able to test with a different OpAmp... I had to order them from somewhere else since the ebay seller "hifiic" seems to have partied a bit too hard and fell off the face of the planet.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #3,385 of 5,722
Quote:
I'm currently testing the AKG k240's with my Xonar and I'm noticing that I can push the volume all the way up to 100% and the headphones are moderately loud, loud enough for me to enjoy listening to a track but I wish they could go a bit louder. Is this normal? I'm currently running them with Normal impedance (0-60 ohms), the headphones have "55 ohms" written on them so I suppose that's correct. HF mode on, no Dolby, and audio maxed out from source.

I have not received my THS4032's yet, so I haven't been able to test with a different OpAmp... I had to order them from somewhere else since the ebay seller "hifiic" seems to have partied a bit too hard and fell off the face of the planet.

Which Xonar? I'm guessing STX or ST?
Try the mid gain setting (64~300-Ohm)

Did you turn off your on-board audio? in the bios?

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #3,386 of 5,722
Quote:
Which Xonar? I'm guessing STX or ST?
Try the mid gain setting (64~300-Ohm)

Did you turn off your on-board audio? in the bios?

The Xonar ST. I totally thought I had on board audio disabled from BIOS but I just checked and it wasn't so I already went ahead and did that. But it did not make any difference as far as the volume or clarity of sound.

However, when I switched to 64-300 the sound just boomed, it become alive and kicking.. Sounds VERY nice at around 30%. I guess that did the trick. I was too scared to try changing the impedance earlier fearing I might ruin the headphones but I guess it's not so bad after all.

I wonder if I should go ahead and try this LME OpAmp sitting in front of me. I might do that tonight after my conference.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3,387 of 5,722
Quote:
The Xonar ST. I totally thought I had on board audio disabled from BIOS but I just checked and it wasn't so I already went ahead and did that. But it did not make any difference as far as the volume or clarity of sound.

However, when I switched to 64-300 the sound just boomed, it become alive and kicking.. Sounds VERY nice at around 30%. I guess that did the trick. I was too scared to try changing the impedance earlier fearing I might ruin the headphones but I guess it's not so bad after all.

I wonder if I should go ahead and try this LME OpAmp sitting in front of me. I might do that tonight after my conference.

Which LME op-amp(s) are you going to use?

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #3,389 of 5,722
I have 3 x LME49860NA with a pair of Grado SR80i phones and Audioengine A2 speakers.

I am loving them so far, my previous op-amps were 3 x LME49720.

However, I find playing tracks that haven't been well encoded - ie direct from sites like Deezer (with the HQ setting on) are very harsh through the headphones.

Tracks encoded to Apple Lossless, or direct from CD sound really good.

So far I am very happy :)

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3,390 of 5,722
Quote:
I have 3 x LME49860NA with a pair of Grado SR80i phones and Audioengine A2 speakers.

I am loving them so far, my previous op-amps were 3 x LME49720.

However, I find playing tracks that haven't been well encoded - ie direct from sites like Deezer (with the HQ setting on) are very harsh through the headphones.

Tracks encoded to Apple Lossless, or direct from CD sound really good.

So far I am very happy :)

I have had exactly that Setup, but was disappointed with the LME49860NA compared to the LME49720NA. Now i'd like to try the famous LME49990,
as many PPL said it's better sounding than the LME49720NA Metalcap Version. My Cans are the Sennheiser HD 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back