The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jan 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,867 of 5,721

Quote:
Do you know where I might find a set of upgrade Opa amps for the Essence STX
Thanks   IfIonly

You can get 4 LME49860NAs (DIP-8) op-amps off eBay for under $20.
You only need 3, but nobody on eBay sells a three pack.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,869 of 5,721
Jan 9, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #2,870 of 5,721
Hi all,
i've just purchased this card and i am experiencing a very disturbing noise from my speakers, when i'm not playing anyting there is sometime a small screeching sound but it gets worse when i'm playing a game (with music i will have to test it better but it doesn't seem as bad), in fact i get a high background noise very audible e also quite annoying.
I'm connecting a pair of Rokit RP5 G2 via RCA cables, i have put the card on the left side of my video card (i mean at the bottom, i have a Raven 02 and both the sound card and video card are mounted vertical), i could try changing the position or using shielded cables with an adapter to see if it helps.
any thoughts?

Also i've trying using foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin but every time i changed directory in windows explorer i got an extremily loud POP from my speakers so now i'm using the default audio playback driver.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2,871 of 5,721
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Before I got the Xonar Essence I had a Auzentech Prelude 7.1,  and I had two outputs...   a 2.0 Edifier R1800TIII  and a 150W fosfogate subwoofer. 

Now that I have the xonar essence I can't conect both to the sound card,  has anyone figured out a way to connect two outputs ?

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2,872 of 5,721

Quote:
Hi all,
i've just purchased this card and i am experiencing a very disturbing noise from my speakers, when i'm not playing anyting there is sometime a small screeching sound but it gets worse when i'm playing a game (with music i will have to test it better but it doesn't seem as bad), in fact i get a high background noise very audible e also quite annoying.
I'm connecting a pair of Rokit RP5 G2 via RCA cables, i have put the card on the left side of my video card (i mean at the bottom, i have a Raven 02 and both the sound card and video card are mounted vertical), i could try changing the position or using shielded cables with an adapter to see if it helps.
any thoughts?

Also i've trying using foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin but every time i changed directory in windows explorer i got an extremily loud POP from my speakers so now i'm using the default audio playback driver.

Thanks

Did you remember to disable your onboard sound device in your BIO, and uninstall any drivers from other sound devices and cards?

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,874 of 5,721

Quote:
Alright, guys and girls.  Is there a mod to lower the line level on my ST?  It's +8dBu and it's causing my amp to clip!

What do you mean? Is the output volume of your ST too loud or...?

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2,875 of 5,721
Quote:
Alright, guys and girls.  Is there a mod to lower the line level on my ST?  It's +8dBu and it's causing my amp to clip!

Is it not possible to change the line output level in the mixer with any of the volume controls ? If you cannot reduce it using software only, then building a simple adapter that divides the voltage using resistors would fix the problem. Or, if you do not actually need the headphone amplifier of the card, and want to use an external amplifier only, then getting a D2X instead (line outputs only, but also good DAC, and 7.1 channels) may also be an option.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2,876 of 5,721
Guys, is there a way to connect the ST with a dedicated headphone amplifier, but still have an ability to use different dolby modes, apart from just the stereo mode available when connecting the card and amp trough RCA's?

Is it possible to use the 6,3mm headphone output on the card and run the cable from that output into the headphone amplifier? Or is it possible to do it only trough RCA's?

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #2,877 of 5,721
Of course, you can use the headphone output as if it was a line output, at the cost of slight reduction in sound quality. Also, make sure that the output level is not too high, some amplifiers may not like a 20 Vpp signal on their line input.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2,878 of 5,721

Quote:
Of course, you can use the headphone output as if it was a line output, at the cost of slight reduction in sound quality. Also, make sure that the output level is not too high, some amplifiers may not like a 20 Vpp signal on their line input.

Why reduction in sound quality? Because the signal goes trough DAC and trough headphone amp, instead of just straight out of DAC?  Would the reduction in sound quality be major or is the just the difference between 124db (RCA) vs 118db (headphone out) SNR?

I'm about to get that card, and it would be a deal-breaker for me if I couldnt use dolby headphone modes with external amp, which is apparently not possible trough RCA's.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2,879 of 5,721
Quote:
Why reduction in sound quality? Because the signal goes trough DAC and trough headphone amp, instead of just straight out of DAC?  Would the reduction in sound quality be major or is the just the difference between 124db (RCA) vs 118db (headphone out) SNR?

I'm about to get that card, and it would be a deal-breaker for me if I couldnt use dolby headphone modes with external amp, which is apparently not possible trough RCA's.

Basically everything the amp does, will go to the external amp. So you're doubling (approximately) distortion, noise, any phase issues or other issues, etc.

Why do you need an external amp?

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,880 of 5,721

Quote:
Basically everything the amp does, will go to the external amp. So you're doubling (approximately) distortion, noise, any phase issues or other issues, etc.

Why do you need an external amp?

I'm not sure yet I'll need the external amp, but i think my external amp is probably better than the one inside the STX, its Little Dot Mk5. Also, I don't like controlling volume in windows, would rather have a real volume knob. And the fact that in order to unplug or plug in headphones (and i have many of them) would be a pain in the ass, since I would have to pull out my entire desk just to get access to the back of my PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back