The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Dec 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2,806 of 5,721
Hi I need advise picking a Dac that fits me.

My main system is rega brio r, dali zensor 7 and a modded x-fi music lm4568 i think and filter mod.

Now my problem is that the sound is harsh (voices easily get sss) and the music lacks substance, I do got very great details and wide soundstage. My question is what would be the best pick, a Essence st with neutral opamps and decup output capasitors?? Help appreciate.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #2,807 of 5,721
Hello folks, today I solder 6 1N5314 CLD's in my Xonar ST to bias the opamps in to class "A", the result till now with my K701 is that everithing it's now bassier, in a good way, now it has a better punch and the treble is less harsh, but the ss is smaller. I'm using 3xLME49720HA.

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,808 of 5,721
After playing around a bit I think I'm settled with x2 LME49760na and 1x Opa2107ap

I like the detail over 3x LME49760na

Switching between hd 595s and Grado 325is I find the clarity and separation to be great. I think the 2107 expands and tightens up the bass just a bit to round out the sound. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #2,809 of 5,721

Quote:
After playing around a bit I think I'm settled with x2 LME49760na and 1x Opa2107ap
Switching between hd 595s and Grado 325is I find the clarity and separation to be great. I think the 2107 expands and tightens up the bass just a bit to round out the sound. 

What is the difference between the LME49760NA and the LME49720NA (and LME49860NA)?

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #2,811 of 5,721

Quote:

I use 3X LME49860NAs, might get one Opa2107ap for the buffer,
So you like the Opa2107ap over the LME49860NA?
Where did you buy the Opa2107ap?

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #2,812 of 5,721
The 3x 49860 were very good but I felt lacking a bit of clarity in the bottom end. The 2107 tightened the bass and added separation. 

However your phones (hd650?) might not need it....

I got the 2107  off eBay for about$10 

Also interested in trying OPA627 in th buffer

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2,813 of 5,721
See my recent post on the Xonar here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/463009/asus-xonar-hdav-1-3-deluxe-op-amps/15#post_7947990
Summary:
Opamps:
I/V: AD825 (you'll need 4 of them, and use an adapter to combine pairs. No other mods needed to stock ckt (as in the case of LM6172)!). The AD825s are SOIC only, but the Brown Dog adptr nicely works; output: LT1028 (these are single ch., so you'll need two and an adapter)
Other tweaks:
Remove the output caps and replace with 5-10-ohm resistors (this is the signal path so use v. HQ metal audio Rs, e.g. from Takman, etc., if possible). Bypass opamp Vdd pin electro caps with 100nF (film or ceramic), on solder side of PCB.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #2,814 of 5,721
I figured in the holiday spirit I should gift myself some new toys, I've got Senn 558s right now, mainly looking for something to really give them a kick in the pants. Xonar STX pops up everywhere being a better DAC than the E7/E9 combo, so is it really worth $170?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,816 of 5,721

Quote:
I figured in the holiday spirit I should gift myself some new toys, I've got Senn 558s right now, mainly looking for something to really give them a kick in the pants. Xonar STX pops up everywhere being a better DAC than the E7/E9 combo, so is it really worth $170?

if you plan on upgrading the three op-amps (operational amplifiers), might as well get a used one.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2,817 of 5,721
You've got 558s I see, in your opinion, what opamps work best with them? I know you can't tell me what will sound best because everybody has different musical taste but I just want to keep them open for all genres (I listen to almost everything, Metal, Rock, Electronic, Alternative)

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #2,818 of 5,721

Quote:
You've got 558s I see, in your opinion, what opamps work best with them? I know you can't tell me what will sound best because everybody has different musical taste but I just want to keep them open for all genres (I listen to almost everything, Metal, Rock, Electronic, Alternative)

I went with 3 x LME49860NAs because it was the safe option.
The factory buffer op-amp is the LM4562NA, which renamed the LME49720NA, the cherry picks (better voltage range) of the LME49720NA are renamed LME49860NA.
The better upgrade op-amps are the AD797, they are considered finicky op-amps, but I believe they work well with the Xonar Essence.

Thread for more info on op-amps
"The op-amp thread"

I would say to get the STX, not the ST (which is PCI), the STX is cheaper and as it's PCI-Express, so more future proof.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #2,819 of 5,721
My Essence ST FINALLY came into my ownership today after pining for it since July.
It was my birthday present, so my family was gathered around while I opened it, and
everyone but my dad thinks I'm a complete nerd now. 
tongue.gif

At the last minute I decided to go with 3x LME49860NA, since that was the easiest thing.
I didn't even bother with the stock op-amps. The first thing I noticed after managing to get the card
and op-amps out of the packaging was how small they were. Perhaps I stared at product photos a bit
too much. 
tongue.gif

At the moment the only thing I've listened to with it is Moving Pictures, and I haven't played games
with it or anything, so my impressions may likely change a bit later on. So far I've been enjoying this
card very very much. It's difficult to describe, but I suppose you could say everything sounds more 'open'.
Moving Pictures sounded comparatively 'squashed' on my onboard. With the Essence, everything
sounds much more distinct and clear, and the music dances around inside my head more compared
with the onboard concentrating everything into pretty much one spot. Geddy Lee actually sounds
human to me now, and instruments sound like actual instruments instead of just notes. For the first time
my HD 555 feels satisfying in the lower octaves without needing to crank the volume up. Neil Peart's drums
in Witch Hunt have a much 'bigger' sound, with more impact and authority, and they don't sound harsh in
Red Barchetta anymore.

The soft-loud dynamic contrast has improved immensely. I always thought the drums in the intro to
The Camera Eye were the same volume all through the intro, so I was surprised to hear them start
very soft and slowly get louder and louder. That kind of thing didn't happen only once, either.
The Essence also seems more revealing than my onboard. My friend once told me that the intro
to The Camera Eye sounded like it was played on a two dollar keyboard. I've never agreed with him
until today.

One thing I think has improved most strikingly is the treble. It seems much more present now, and I
noticed cymbals I'd never heard before multiple times. The triangle intro and bottles breaking in YYZ
felt much more realistic, and cymbals all throughout the album are absolutely joyous to listen to.

It's probably not fair for me to write my complete impressions right at the moment, since I've had about
40 minutes with the Essence ST. I'm only one album into my library, but that being said I'm already
very pleased. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #2,820 of 5,721
I decided to have some fun with the Essence by having a listen to some of my old Nightwish albums.
Now, Beauty of the Beast (Century Child, track 10) sounded just fine back when I used onboard and
didn't know about classic rock. I did have a small feeling that it was an iffy recording, but what I heard
through the Essence caught me completely by surprise. It sounded like absolute crap.

The rhythm guitar was like a disgusting slurry of pure, unadulterated distortion so potent it spilled over
into the midrange, coloring the already horrendously recorded strings and vocals. I was so shocked by
the flagrant atrocity of it all I went back and played Tom Sawyer to make sure my sound card hadn't magically
broken. The gleeful destruction of all my Nightwish CDs soon followed. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back