The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2,656 of 5,721
Quote:
can this sound care drive beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohms? with stock op amps 

what would the sound quality be like 

thanks

It will, but you'll need to use either High or Highest gain. Distortion will suffer a bit, but will remain inaudible as far as I know. The card performs very well with high impedances.

It will sound like what your headphones sound like 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #2,657 of 5,721

Quote:
It will, but you'll need to use either High or Highest gain. Distortion will suffer a bit, but will remain inaudible as far as I know. The card performs very well with high impedances.

It will sound like what your headphones sound like 
wink.gif

thanks for the quick replay wow inaudible lol 600 ohms so hard to drive...

what amps are you currently using? for ur Audez'e LCD-2

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #2,658 of 5,721

Quote:
Just one question:Someone has an experience driving Grados from the Essence ST? I have a pair o SR60i`s and i would love to hear some positive feedback.

While the ST/STX will power the SR60's just fine I would strongly consider upgrading to the cheapest wire backed unit as the wire back reduces conjestion in the grado headphones considerably. The plastic backed version has too much flat surface exposed to the driver back & grados are notoriously sensitive to any reflections from the back. On the wire back versions you can hear this by just placing your flat hand within 6 inches of the back of the housing, it changes the sound considerably as you move closer to the back of the driver with your hand. The highest end versions do not even have a logo in the center of the wire back leaving the wire back completely open.

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2,659 of 5,721
Quote:
thanks for the quick replay wow inaudible lol 600 ohms so hard to drive...

what amps are you currently using? for ur Audez'e LCD-2

600 ohms isn't hard to drive. Amps actually perform better with high impedances. The DT990 has relatively low sensitivity though, which combined with the 600 ohm impedance means it's hard to drive to loud volumes.

I'm using the Essence STX with my LCD-2.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2,661 of 5,721
Best Buffer chip.
I installed two LME49860NA chips in my STX for the headphone.
The third replaceable op-amp is for the RCA output (my getting Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers).
(Thinking of getting the LME49990NA)
So what is the current popular op-amp for the RCA output?

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #2,663 of 5,721
Looking to replace only the caps along the DAC-to-analogue-to-output path. Can someone point me to a diagram, image overlay, or board numbering layout (e.g. CE8) for the various caps and their functions (filtering, decoupling)? Card is not here yet, but I want to get a head start on picking up some caps. And is their a reason why folks here are recapping with Silmic II and not Cerafine?

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2,665 of 5,721

Quote:
Best Buffer chip.
I installed two LME49860NA chips in my STX for the headphone.
The third replaceable op-amp is for the RCA output (my getting Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers).
(Thinking of getting the LME49990NA)
So what is the current popular op-amp for the RCA output?

I finally got around to ordering some LME49860s. I think they're better than the 49720s - loses the harsh highs and seems to have increased bass and is more revealing. Also, the bass seems to have gotten a bit more punchy. Listening on HD600.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2,666 of 5,721

Quote:
oh man they are singles-lucky you didnt damage the card!!

Both cards were in perfect condition when installed.
It's not even worth sending them back as the postage is half the cost.

Not a good first time experience, Need to decide if I want to try some different Op amps,But fear I will just get another 2 faulty one's .

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2,667 of 5,721

Quote:
Both cards were in perfect condition when installed.
It's not even worth sending them back as the postage is half the cost.

Not a good first time experience, Need to decide if I want to try some different Op amps,But fear I will just get another 2 faulty one's .

The amps more than likely weren't faulty.  They are single channel, and the essence takes 2channel.  For those 627's to work you have to get an adapter. When you put those 627's in as is you get little to know sound at all! 

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2,669 of 5,721
Actually I found out, Dual OpAMPs for burson should work for my xonar.

However, I am thinking of getting something cheaper and something that will not require so much effort.

So I am thinking of :

[size=1.454em] 3x OPA627BP[/size]

or 

[size=1.454em] 1x OPA627BP with 2x OPA827AID[/size]

What do you guys think.. ?

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #2,670 of 5,721
I am running M-Audio CX5's from the STX via the RCA outputs with RCA cables. If you want you can also use RCA > TRS cables as the interconnect.

Quote:
Does anyone have the DSM 3s from m-audio? Trying to figure out how im going to connect everything through the analog inputs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back