The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 14, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #2,626 of 5,721
Yeah, exactly that one :frowning2: So simple, why didn't I think of it..Once I got home with it I was like a child at christmas, just threw the parts away and went straight for the card. Can't wait for my 650's to come so I can hear some more difference. Think i'll just let the ohm setting to be at normal for now and try it out more once I get the real stuff, just read page 1... Thanks again :F

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2,628 of 5,721

Hey guys

I have a technical question on how to set up the JVC HARX 700 and Essence ST

The OP mentions JVC HA-RX700 64ohm at the end in this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/436015/official-jvc-ha-rx700-owner-s-appreciation-thread-only-unmodded-observations-please

I have a Xonar Essence ST and JVC HARX700 cans, should I step up one notch on the gain (+12 db for 64-300 ohm) and set to ASIO to get the most out of these cans?

I tested ASIO in foobar, it's nice but all my system's sound gets muted - game, youtube, ventrilo etc

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #2,629 of 5,721

Quote:

Hey guys

I have a technical question on how to set up the JVC HARX 700 and Essence ST

The OP mentions JVC HA-RX700 64ohm at the end in this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/436015/off...tion-thread-only-unmodded-observations-please

I have a Xonar Essence ST and JVC HARX700 cans, should I step up one notch on the gain (+12 db for 64-300 ohm) and set to ASIO to get the most out of these cans?

I tested ASIO in foobar, it's nice but all my system's sound gets muted - game, youtube, ventrilo etc

The JVC HA-RX900 is 64-Ohm
Your HA-RX700 is 48-Ohm

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #2,630 of 5,721
Ignore the recommended ohm ratings. You can use any impedance with any gain setting, as long as you aren't turning the volume up really high. The gain setting only increases the amount of voltage available, which most low impedance headphones don't need but some high impedance headphones might.

If you're getting adequate volume at the lowest gain setting, with some space left on the volume control for headroom, don't up the gain. The amp distorts more at higher gain settings.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2,635 of 5,721
I have a question about SPDIF. I have not brought the card yet but just want to know how to set it up properly for when I get it.

So next week or so I'll have some new gear (headphones, amp, dac), now I'm going to be wanting to obviously bypass the amp/dac on the STX, so I'll be needing to plug this in the SPDIF (using coax to the dac).

What settings do I select on the control panel to enable SPDIF?

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2,636 of 5,721
Quote:
I have a question about SPDIF. I have not brought the card yet but just want to know how to set it up properly for when I get it.

So next week or so I'll have some new gear (headphones, amp, dac), now I'm going to be wanting to obviously bypass the amp/dac on the STX, so I'll be needing to plug this in the SPDIF (using coax to the dac).

What settings do I select on the control panel to enable SPDIF?

Not totally sure, never done it. Start by ticking the PCM box under SPDIF Out, or Dolby Digital Live if you want Dolby effects. Then you'll probably want to set your default playback device to S/PDIF Pass-through Device, and set the output of your media player accordingly.

Can I ask what DAC and amp you're getting? Especially with the DAC, you may be better off using the card 
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #2,637 of 5,721
I just picked up a pair of M-Audio BX5a

I have a question regarding how I should connect them...

(line out) >>> BX5a
My current setup is STX (RCA)>>> Fiio E9 <
                                                                                (0db) >>> Ultrasone Pro900

The BX5a's are active, therefore they have their own amplification and the E9's amp is not needed. The manual says that the "line out" is a 2V fixed signal, but I am not sure if this means any amplification is present. 

I want to know if I will get better performance if I connect the BX5a's directly to the STX's RCA output. This will make it so that I can no longer use the STX's RCA's to the Fiio E9 (in turn my headphones would go directly to the STX's headphone out) Since I will not want to double amp by going from the STX's amp to the E9's amp...

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #2,638 of 5,721

Quote:
Not totally sure, never done it. Start by ticking the PCM box under SPDIF Out, or Dolby Digital Live if you want Dolby effects. Then you'll probably want to set your default playback device to S/PDIF Pass-through Device, and set the output of your media player accordingly.

Can I ask what DAC and amp you're getting? Especially with the DAC, you may be better off using the card 
wink.gif

Thanks for you're reply. I'm getting some LCD-2's, Schiit Lyr and Bifrost Dac (when it is out). I wouldn't want dolby live, just want to bypass all the soundcard through SPDIF. If I select PCM will that be a bit perfect signal to my DAC?

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,639 of 5,721
Just replaced the 2 stock op amps on the Asus Essence ST with two LME49720NA's.  I like what I hear.

I got a message on another forum from a guy saying he could build me a pair of LME49720HA - metal can op amps, and that they are "high grade adapters with gold plated pins and tracings using high grade solders" and that he uses TO-99 metal cans.

[size=x-small]I have idea what the difference is between those and what I just installed.  Thoughts?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back