The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Aug 2, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2,552 of 5,721
KK, OPA2132's or OPA2111's for the I/V section? Preference and reasoning? Anybody. Any other 2 channel DIP8 recommendations instead?

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the microphone input as a phono preamp? Even if I can, would it still be better to get something like a basic Project Phono Box MkII??

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2,553 of 5,721
Here's some questions to you ASUS card owners. Can you tweak the intensity of the reverb effects besides the "small", "medium" and "large" settings (maybe custom defined presets?) and what's found under the "more" button in reverb section, maybe more settings to manually set it up as you want?

Also how large are the increments on the EQ or doesn't it even display any values (I assume they show up as you drag the sliders)?

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2,554 of 5,721
Any1? This is just a matter of checking out the driver settings and won't take you long. :p

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #2,556 of 5,721
Specifically over the current sound I have now, I would like this -

Bass needs a little more low end depth
Mid-bass needs to loose a little 'richness'
High end needs a little more 'sparkle' at the top most registers to take full advantage of my DALI's ribbon tweeters

The overall sound is quite nice with the OPA2107's in the I/V section and the LT1364 I have in the buffer. It's just that I would like a little more in going towards a truly uncoloured presentation by fixing the things above. I think I shall have to go for some OPA627AU's on B.D.'s for the I/V. Besides discrete, does anyone have any objections or differing opinions from any first-hand experience that they might have on this? Also does anyone know what direction that you would have to mount these? -->

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/mm5/graphics/components/ic_opa627_adapter.jpg

Any help is much appreciated and welcomed.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #2,557 of 5,721

Quote:
Specifically over the current sound I have now, I would like this -

Bass needs a little more low end depth
Mid-bass needs to loose a little 'richness'
High end needs a little more 'sparkle' at the top most registers to take full advantage of my DALI's ribbon tweeters

The overall sound is quite nice with the OPA2107's in the I/V section and the LT1364 I have in the buffer. It's just that I would like a little more in going towards a truly uncoloured presentation by fixing the things above. I think I shall have to go for some OPA627AU's on B.D.'s for the I/V. Besides discrete, does anyone have any objections or differing opinions from any first-hand experience that they might have on this? Also does anyone know what direction that you would have to mount these? -->

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/mm5/graphics/components/ic_opa627_adapter.jpg

Any help is much appreciated and welcomed.

49720HA x 2 make my grado's sexy thus ending my quest for opamps unless someone wants to give 2xburson's :)

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #2,558 of 5,721
Heya

Could you guys recommend me a set of Op Amps to swap out both the stock I/V and buffer?

Personally, i like a cold and analytical tone, with plenty of intensity. Preferably something that is clear and does not provide any artificial coloration of the sound so warm it up or make it sound more "natural".

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #2,559 of 5,721
How do you guys rate this card against amp/dac combos at roughly the same price? I was originally looking at an amp/dac for flexibility down the track, but currently I would just be using my PC as the source. I've been told that for the price the STX is a better buy than the Maverick D1 for example. What do you guys reckon? Also how does the amp in the STX fare with higher impedence phones like the 250ohm Beyerdynamic stuff (DT770 etc) and AKG 701?

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #2,563 of 5,721
Hmm, what do you guys think about plugging a ZO Personal Subwoofer amp directly to the analog headphone jack of an Essence STX? Would the double amping cause a lot of issues even if using the lowest gain? The ZO  has about the same kind of output power as FiiO E11 amp for example. I'm trying to decide whether to go for a DX/D1/D2/D2X or ST/STX.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #2,564 of 5,721

Quote:
Hmm, what do you guys think about plugging a ZO Personal Subwoofer amp directly to the analog headphone jack of an Essence STX? Would the double amping cause a lot of issues even if using the lowest gain? The ZO  has about the same kind of output power as FiiO E11 amp for example. I'm trying to decide whether to go for a DX/D1/D2/D2X or ST/STX.

just to add it to your woes :wink: ..DX is on sale for $53 AR from Amazon

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2,565 of 5,721
Yea well I'm from europe. ;(

I'm heavily concidering a non ST/STX though due to not having an amp as I fear the output volume if nothing else gets quite a bit loud with a ZO v1 which doesn't have any volume control (will switch for v2 later which is supposed to have it though). On a Titanium HD card I had to use 9 ~ 12% volume for normal listening. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back