The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Apr 18, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #2,341 of 5,721
Help! I seem to have done something severe to my card, and it won't install!

I had video card issues in my computer, so I took the entire computer apart, cleaned it out, and reassembled it, with the only major difference being moving the STX to a PCI-1x from a PCI-16x slot. It seemed easy enough, but when I moved it, I wasn't getting any sound. So I figured it was a driver problem when I moved the card, and uninstalled the driver and used Driver Sweeper on it. I attempted to reinstall the driver, but received the error message "Please plug-in your Asus Xonar Audio device!". I turned off the computer, took the thing out, put it back in (the same slot but REALLY making sure that 4-pin was fastened in the back, as well as the front panel audio to the side of the card), and received the same error.

As a last resort, I took the card out again, put it back in the PCI-16x slot, and - again - I get a notice to "Please plug-in your Asus Xonar Audio Device". I have tried two different ASUS drivers and the latest Uni driver with no luck.

Here's some specifics:
-Device manager reads the card, and properly ("PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_835C1043&REV_00").
-When I restart the computer, or hit the uninstall driver button through device manager, I hear a click coming from the card. From what I experienced in the past, this is normal.
-Device Manager actually reads the card as "ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device" under "Sound, video and game controllers" (as opposed to "Multimedia Device", which I'm told is supposed to be the normal reading for the uninstalled driver)

Please help! I'm really not sure how in the world I could have bricked the card by swapping PCI slots and/or taking it out and putting it back in.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #2,342 of 5,721
Oops double post sorry.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2,343 of 5,721

Quote:
Help! I seem to have done something severe to my card, and it won't install!

I had video card issues in my computer, so I took the entire computer apart, cleaned it out, and reassembled it, with the only major difference being moving the STX to a PCI-1x from a PCI-16x slot. It seemed easy enough, but when I moved it, I wasn't getting any sound. So I figured it was a driver problem when I moved the card, and uninstalled the driver and used Driver Sweeper on it. I attempted to reinstall the driver, but received the error message "Please plug-in your Asus Xonar Audio device!". I turned off the computer, took the thing out, put it back in (the same slot but REALLY making sure that 4-pin was fastened in the back, as well as the front panel audio to the side of the card), and received the same error.

As a last resort, I took the card out again, put it back in the PCI-16x slot, and - again - I get a notice to "Please plug-in your Asus Xonar Audio Device". I have tried two different ASUS drivers and the latest Uni driver with no luck.

Here's some specifics:
-Device manager reads the card, and properly ("PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_835C1043&REV_00").
-When I restart the computer, or hit the uninstall driver button through device manager, I hear a click coming from the card. From what I experienced in the past, this is normal.
-Device Manager actually reads the card as "ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device" under "Sound, video and game controllers" (as opposed to "Multimedia Device", which I'm told is supposed to be the normal reading for the uninstalled driver)

Please help! I'm really not sure how in the world I could have bricked the card by swapping PCI slots and/or taking it out and putting it back in.

You may have a bad connection in the wire or the connector on the soundcard may need to be resoldered as this connector does require some force to plug & unplug which may result in broken solder connections on the sound card(4pin molex connector).

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #2,344 of 5,721
The 4-pin molex is definitely fastened and secure. As I mentioned in my previous post, the card was previously just working fine earlier today, then I moved it, and now it's not, and still isn't even after moving it back.

Could this be relevant: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure , even though I don't get the "F6" at the end of my hardware ID? I DO get a "&REV_00" at the end.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2,345 of 5,721

Quote:
The 4-pin molex is definitely fastened and secure. As I mentioned in my previous post, the card was previously just working fine earlier today, then I moved it, and now it's not, and still isn't even after moving it back.

Could this be relevant: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure , even though I don't get the "F6" at the end of my hardware ID? I DO get a "&REV_00" at the end.

I reread your post more completely & was in the proccess in fixing my post when you reposted. Sorry about that. But hopefully this information helps. Hopefully you know how to test for bad solder joints & can resolder if nessessary.

I don't think the other issue you brought up is the case as the card is recognised as what it is. The reason it is still recognized as the Essense STX is that you may have more than one driver installed for it & you only removed on of them. Not a big deal.

Try checking you molex connector solder joints as this is where your likely issue is since you do have it plugged in but the driver sayes not.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #2,346 of 5,721

It's under Sound, video and game controllers on my PC as well (w7,wxp), so this is actually normal.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #2,347 of 5,721
Quote:
Quote:

It's under Sound, video and game controllers on my PC as well (w7,wxp), so this is actually normal.

Sorry, I meant to say that the device itself is supposed to be listed as "Multimedia Device" under "Sound, video and game controllers", and not as its name when the driver is uninstalled.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #2,348 of 5,721

Thanks I'll try just using the stx headphone amp for games and the line out for the stx to drive the amp and speakers. Never really thought about that. Do you think it will be fine if I make a a splitter to split the rca line outs so I have 2 pairs of rca outputs (one for the speakers and one for the micro amp)?
Quote:
The Headroom Micro has its own line out, so you would have that option if connecting the Xonar's line out to the Micro.

I did not know about the Dolby Headphone issue when using line out, however.  I am assuming you are using the ATH-AD700s for gaming with Dolby Headphone?  Why not use the Xonar's headphone amplifier when gaming, and use the Xonar's line out for Xonar >> Micro >> Micro LO >> Speakers for music and everything else?

As far as I know, no headphone amplifier is designed to be chained, but many or even most will not suffer damage (at least in the short term) when chained.  That said, damage is still always a possibility when using an amplifier in this way, which is why I generally shy away from it.  Also, keep in mind that while the synergy of the two amps may work out, no combination is guaranteed to help sound quality either, until tested.  You may very well find that the Xonar's amplifier alone sounds better than using the Micro after it in the chain, even if the Micro is the better amp.

As such, I suppose you can try it out, but I would do so by setting the Xonar to a fairly low volume at first to see if distortion is present.  I would also set the gain on the Micro to low since the input will already have a far higher gain than a line level source.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,349 of 5,721
If you would rather not use the volume control on the Micro for your speakers, a splitter at the line out of the STX should be OK, assuming that the line out's signal is strong enough to drive multiple devices.  (My guess is that it is.)

Quote:
Thanks I'll try just using the stx headphone amp for games and the line out for the stx to drive the amp and speakers. Never really thought about that. Do you think it will be fine if I make a a splitter to split the rca line outs so I have 2 pairs of rca outputs (one for the speakers and one for the micro amp)?

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #2,350 of 5,721
I've closely looked at this card from all angles, particularly the Molex connector, and I cannot see any physical problems with it. The Molex cord that it connects to seems a tad bit wrestled with, but appears to be functional, as the cord itself splits power to one of my fans, which is fully operational.

I really can't figure out what the problem is here, and I have to conclude that either swapping PCI slots completely fried something within the card, or caused a software issue. I'm going to attempt the EEPROM fix to see if it does anything (no harm done, right?).

:edit: WOW, so it turned it I actually *wasn't* pushing the molex in hard enough. Damn, you really gotta give that thing some force.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2,351 of 5,721

Quote:
I've closely looked at this card from all angles, particularly the Molex connector, and I cannot see any physical problems with it. The Molex cord that it connects to seems a tad bit wrestled with, but appears to be functional, as the cord itself splits power to one of my fans, which is fully operational.

I really can't figure out what the problem is here, and I have to conclude that either swapping PCI slots completely fried something within the card, or caused a software issue. I'm going to attempt the EEPROM fix to see if it does anything (no harm done, right?).

:edit: WOW, so it turned it I actually *wasn't* pushing the molex in hard enough. Damn, you really gotta give that thing some force.

Glad it's working for you now. Yaaaay

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #2,352 of 5,721
if you DO want to fry your card, you could always try installing some badly fabricated opamps on adapters. Like those I ordered from analoguemetrc.
wink_face.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #2,353 of 5,721
Hello.
I'm using a STX but I',m facing some issues concerning the sound signature.

For the record I am using only the headphone output, so only the OPA for the IV are concerned.

Of course I found the chips (JRC 2114) provided with the card gave a too bright sound.

So I 've changed for 2 LME49720. Sound is better, more balanced imo, less "brigtness" and more bass. But I think it's still a bit too much focused on high frequencies and therefore my ears hurt a bit.

I have on my desks two other pairs of chips :

- OPA 2107
- OPA 2111

Do you think one those pairs would be better to get a more balanced sound ?

I am using IE8 and HD555 and Turbiner Copper.

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,354 of 5,721

Ok so since I am a student at a technical college I can get some samples of some opamps from national semiconductors. What would you guys reccomend for a more full and less bright sound since I will be using the headphone amp with a pair of ad700s which are a little light on bass.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,355 of 5,721
I took the plunge and bought some OPA627's, sound is definitely more laid back, gone is the annoying sibiliance from my grados and the mid-lower range has more emphasis and warmth. If you're like me and can't solder to save your life, you can get 2 soics mounted on a DIP8 adaptor from audiophileproducts.com. Quality control and the soldering job is top notch. Now I wonder how much these puppies are going to change with some burn-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back