The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #2,176 of 5,721

[size=medium]
I think you forgot to switch from Headphones to Speakers settings, for that you have to go to Xonar Audio Center and choose the 2 speakers settings.
[/size]

Quote:
Quote:
Just realized the line out sounds much better than the hp out on my STX card with AKG K601 phones. There is a lot of difference, easily apparent to whoever has tried.

Strange.  I get no sound output at all through the Line Out. 
confused.gif

Yep, actually i was using it my phones with the high gain setting and also the extra high gain setting. The problem i faced with the amplifier chip was the harshness, kinda took the fun of music away. I can hear bass lines more clearly with the line out and also imaging is considerable improved, realized this thing about imaging when i heard some techno numbers, i would suggest you try it out also, was quite a bummer for me. Btw i m just plugging the phones directly into line out no amps in between.
Quote:
To use line out you have to set analog out to 2 speakers which will send it out the RCAs, While headphone sends it out the headphone amp. InFn-O have you tried using high gain with your AKG 601s? Because for my AKG 702 headphone amp out sound best on them but then I using the high gain setting for my AKG 702s, which I read is recommanded for them with the ST/X cards.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2,177 of 5,721
The I/V are used when you use the headphone amp out on the ST/X. the OP-amps in the I/Vs are JRCs, when your using the line out your using I/V and the buffer. the buffer has the LME4562s in them.  The JRCs in the I/V should be replaced asap.  My AKG 702 will not sound right or be driven if I plugged them directly into the line out instead of the headphone amp. It be like the issue I had on the Auzen Bravura I had but thru the line out of the STX instead.

Your sound is being effected by the JRCs in the I/V try changing them to some OPA2107AP, you would need two of them as there dual channel op-amps. OPA6#7 and OPA827 are another good choices but you need 2 pair of them on a adaptor and may need to be heating tools. But the Default JRCs in your I/Vs is what making it not sound the way you want it and have that sound sig that you heard out your headphones.

2x OPA2107AP is what I currenty use in my I/V on my STX thru its headphone amp while I waiting on some OPA827s being done for me.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #2,178 of 5,721

I tried the LME49720NA in my card but it did nt work out well, no synergy, music was way too laid back and lifeless. I really like the sound signature of the line out, would it be sensible to put the LM4562s in the I/V section? 

Quote:
The I/V are used when you use the headphone amp out on the ST/X. the OP-amps in the I/Vs are JRCs, when your using the line out your using I/V and the buffer. the buffer has the LME4562s in them.  The JRCs in the I/V should be replaced asap.  My AKG 702 will not sound right or be driven if I plugged them directly into the line out instead of the headphone amp. It be like the issue I had on the Auzen Bravura I had but thru the line out of the STX instead.

Your sound is being effected by the JRCs in the I/V try changing them to some OPA2107AP, you would need two of them as there dual channel op-amps. OPA6#7 and OPA827 are another good choices but you need 2 pair of them on a adaptor and may need to be heating tools. But the Default JRCs in your I/Vs is what making it not sound the way you want it and have that sound sig that you heard out your headphones.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #2,181 of 5,721
Is there any harm in using different opamps in I/V for testing purposes?  I realize you always want to match I/V due to the L/R channel, but wanted to be able to compare different opamps at the same time by using one for each ear.

I currently have multiple 49720NA, OPA2137, 2132, and 2277.  Waiting on back ordered OPA2107, and my LT order with LT1057, LT1358, and LT1364.  These will be matched with my DT990s, most likely from the HP port as I use the RCAs for my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system and do want Dolby Headphone available for gaming.  I am more concerned with matching the opamps to the DT990s than the speakers, as I don't ever really crank the speakers in my apartment.  If anyone has suggestions among my listed opamps and cans, I'd be happy to hear them.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #2,182 of 5,721
Guess I have to have 1001 posts to get the 1000+ posts rating eh?

Any way I'm going to be a poor man for the next 6 years so my computer stuff is going to be limited at best for a long while now. I had to get a new car for work so now in hock up to my eyeballs in debt. I won't be quite as active as I was for a while due to this but I will still be posting from time to time if I feel I may have something worthwhile to say about the topic at hand. I do love my computer as it stands now though.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #2,183 of 5,721

Quote:
Is there any harm in using different opamps in I/V for testing purposes?  I realize you always want to match I/V due to the L/R channel, but wanted to be able to compare different opamps at the same time by using one for each ear.

I currently have multiple 49720NA, OPA2137, 2132, and 2277.  Waiting on back ordered OPA2107, and my LT order with LT1057, LT1358, and LT1364.  These will be matched with my DT990s, most likely from the HP port as I use the RCAs for my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system and do want Dolby Headphone available for gaming.  I am more concerned with matching the opamps to the DT990s than the speakers, as I don't ever really crank the speakers in my apartment.  If anyone has suggestions among my listed opamps and cans, I'd be happy to hear them.

The 2111KPs are pretty decent in the I/Vs. :)

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #2,185 of 5,721
I got a chance to roll through a couple of my OP AMP's tonight, the 49720NA and OPA2137.  These were used with HP out to my DT990s 32ohm on the 64-300ohm (high) setting.  I found the +0db to be a little under where I like to do comparison.

49720 - I've been using these for about two weeks, since I first got the Essence, and I had much preferred them to the stock JRC2114s.  The 49720 really opened up the sound stage, but the treble could be a bit harsh.

OPA2137 - I am no expert at verbalizing sound, but I was just blown away by the OPA.  It just sounds so lush and holographic.  I know the 990s are a bass heavy can, but it is not overbearing on the OPA, but it absolutely has huge presence and texture.  Electric guitar made me feel like I could feel it just a little through my feet.  I hope this Ethereal signature is similar with the 2107 I am waiting on, can't wait to try it.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #2,186 of 5,721
Really happy for the STX sound. The amp function is really not bad. And STX is the start point for my hi fi journey. The K702 can shine with my mod STX!

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #2,189 of 5,721
when you use the asio 1.0 patch it installs a driver that not signed and you have to use a tool that signs it after its installed like the NGHQ driver signature enforcement overrider tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back