The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #2,131 of 5,721
I hope you´re right. A similar story happened to me when I had a party and someone turned the volume up. I freaked out that time too and imagined some distortions. But I´m still not convinced. The hard thing is that I don´t even have one hour  of listening with this card to compare. Now I just think everything sounds just awesome! Well...the problems of the industrialized countries....

Edit*
I play Yim Hok Man - Poem of Chinese Drums and it actually sound like something in my right can is vibrating, like a loose screw. It isn´t something physical, could it be that I damaged the cans?

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #2,133 of 5,721

Quote:
I've just recently purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990s, in the 32ohm flavor.  I went with the easier to drive 32ohm so I'd have no trouble with volume from my Creative X-Fi or portable device.  I've now decided these cans are home bound permanently, they are just too bulky for the iPod, I'll stick with my IEMs for that.  I also decided I was unsatisfied with the output from my X-Fi, and have an Essence STX on order as a replacement, along with two LME49720's.  The question at hand; my Beyer's are still within 30 days of the original purchase, and I will no longer have the original power restrictions imposed by my weak sources.  Should I attempt a trade up to the 250 or 600ohm version of these cans for use with the Essence STX?  I am very pleased with their sonic signature, but fear I may be losing some transparency with the 32ohm version now that I will be capable of driving the more power hungry versions.

I have the 600ohm 990's and I think the essence drives them quite well

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #2,134 of 5,721
It's been a while since anybody talked about OPAMPs in this thread. A few notes.

I just got a pair of LT1057 in today. Stuck those in the I/V with the stock LM4562 in the buffer. Listening to a few songs so far, I immediately notice a loss in soundstage and slightly inferior imaging compared to the LME49720NA I had in the I/V before (LM6172 as buffer). A little warmer, little bassier (still really tight), not quite the treble emphasis (still better treble than bone stock), but without the crazy separation. Bass seems to get a little more in the sub region. Overall it's OK, not a slamdunk over what I had before. They may not be quite as detailed either, but vocals are a little more forward I think. Also it seems I have to turn the volume up a little more with the LT1057.

I got OPA2107s on their way so we'll see how that goes.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #2,135 of 5,721
In the end I found the LT1057 too dark with my setup, especially with the DT990s. The sound just wasn't very engaging coming from the LME49720NAs. I found myself longing to put the those back in as I was listening to songs on the LT1057. The sound was good, just wasn't anything special to write home about. But I held off putting the LME49720s back in because I knew I'd be getting the OPA2107s in the next day.

Now that I got the OPA2107s in, I have a feeling I'm gonna be leaving them in for a good while. One particular track I seem to always go to first when testing these opamps is AC/DC's A Whole Lot of Rosie. It's a crazy track but with the wrong audio setup, it can sound dry. You have to get the tone just right, and from the get-go the OPA2107s nailed it. It was the most fun I've had listening to the song in a while. I can't go into much details yet on the sound characteristics, other than "whoa, bass", but I'm sure I'll have some enjoyable experiences testing them out.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #2,137 of 5,721
I have the Essence ST with my Senn HD 650s and I like the wide soundstage, marvellous details and clarity.  I don't like occasional pops, clicks and loud cracks (I hope the Uni Driver ends this problem) and I find the treble and upper midrange a bit too much on the card.  I don't think I can call it distortion as such, but it bends my ears a little bit.

I'm wondering if anybody could recommend me some op-amps that reduce the the treble and midrange ''agression" and give an overall smoother sound while using the headphone out.  I haven't used the line out much, but I'd hope that doesn't suffer with the op-amp change.

Obviously, the op-amps need to be stable.  I also don't have the skills to solder adapters myself.  I have seen discrete modules like the Burson, but I worry that the removal of the shield could reduce sound quality (and these are also very expensive).  I live in Sydney, Australia.

So, if somebody could help me achieve increased smoothness, particularly in the treble and midrange, and more body and weight, I'd be very happy.

Thanks and kind regards,

Peter.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #2,140 of 5,721
Nov 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #2,141 of 5,721
After further listening, much swapping back and forth (which makes it sound less of a pain in the ass than it really is), I have indeed settled on the OPA2107 + LM4562NA (which I'll to shorthand "OPAs" from this point on). Compared to LME49720NA + LM6172 (shorthanded "LMEs"), I lose some realism with some instruments, particularly the piano, which sounds almost lower pitched than it should. Some instruments I actually gain realism, such as flutes, clarinets, and some varieties of bow/string instruments, where the body of the instrument is better conveyed. I lose some of the massively wide space and instrument separation, and light, airy and open sound that can actually seem more refined and higher-end much of the time. For many this would be considered an upgrade, and if it were in the form of a full-size amp, people might spend an extra $500+ on a increase like that. The cool thing about opamp rolling is you can get the same sort of upgrade for like $13, and the beauty is if I ever feel the need to return to that sound signature, I can just open a drawer and whip out those opamps again. For now, the OPAs are staying.

Really though it's simply a difference in priorities and tone. LMEs prioritize the highs more, OPAs prioritize the lows, and both have excellent mids with very different characters. The OPAs have more weight and body, lots of warmth but with an enveloping sound. The soundstage isn't as wide as the LMEs, but it's very three-dimensional, surrounding you with all the elements in the song and extending deep with layers on layers giving an almost holographic presentation. Sometimes it can be a little harder to hear some of the really quiet background elements, like background strings on a pop song, or the plucking guitar behind an orchestra, compared to the LMEs, which sort through all the elements more effortlessly. On the LMEs, nothing is really given much weight over anything else, and this was a problem for some people when it came to voices (which didn't really bother me). The OPAs like to let the more prominent elements be brought forward at full force, so the full impact is felt. Sometimes this makes things sound congested and muddled a bit, but it's not really that big a problem. Bass just hands-down goes to the OPAs. They hit hard, go low, and make themselves known. They might run into the lower midrange a little, but this helps sweeten things up a bit in my opinion. Highs on the OPA, while not quite as prominent as on LMEs, don't draw attention to themselves in any negative way. They're fast and balanced with the rest of the spectrum, and work very nicely with the overall sound. The LMEs put emphasis on the highs, which contributes to their airy nature, but can sound a little unnatural on headphones that don't have the benefit of distance between the driver and the ears to help make decay (a crucial element in realism) more natural such as with speakers.

Overall the warmth and tone seems to get into the "soul" and intention of the music better than the more neutral, technically superior sound. You feel the OPAs more on a visceral level, getting more emotionally involved in the music and, to my ears and with my setup, just enjoying it more. To me that's priority over technical prowess.

The buffer plays a pretty big role here as well. The LM4562 did the most to contribute to the congested nature, but really brought the velvety smooth warmth and bubbly nature to the table that I simply didn't get using the LM6172 as buffer with the OPAs. The LM6172 turned the OPAs into something almost indiscernible from the LMEs: light, airy, with little bass weight or impact, but good instrument delineation, which I thought was strange. The LM4562 with the LMEs helped warm up the mids a little, but did little to change the bass characteristics, which remained tight and less pronounced. With all opamps I have (hardly a fraction of what some people here have), I could try literally hundreds of combinations, but I doubt my patience and the opamp sockets themselves could withstand that much testing, and at certain points, such as the OPA2107s + LM6172 combo, things start to run together and you can't tell much apart anyway. I'd rather not drive myself mad with all the variations.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #2,143 of 5,721
Is there any particular OP-AMP combo people recommend if the card is being mainly used with the headphone out?

Something that smooths out (and maybe reduces) the treble and adds body and weight without compromising detail, soundstage and bass response?

Cheers.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2,144 of 5,721
I've had really weird times with the Essence STX over these couple of years.

Not that the card isn't working properly, not at all. But nothing about it makes sense. First of all, I find the line-out to be just as powerful and controlled as the headphone out for my HD650's. Secondly, the tonal difference between line-out and HP-out is immense. Line-out is quite warm and smooth, and in my books high quality, while the HP out is HARSH HARSH HARSH in the treble.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #2,145 of 5,721
Wish I could help you Bing, but I've only tried a handful of opamps and none of them fit what you're looking for. Help is hard to come by, you may just have to do a lot of reading and testing of opamps yourself to find exactly what suits you. Fortunately opamps are generally pretty cheap.

Another good option for a buffer with the OPA2107s I'm discovering is the LT1057. It's neutral with a touch of warmth so it doesn't change the core sound of the OPA2107s much at all, and sorts through multiple instruments better, reducing the congesting you sometimes get, and improving on the realism of pianos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back