The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2,086 of 5,721
Can't help you there as I don't do any switching.  I have the card outputted to a DAC via the CoAx cable and use a headphone amplifier at this time and point.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #2,087 of 5,721

Quote:
Ok this is my problem and situation. My card is place at the last pci slot, furthest away from my graphic card. my desktop is on a short wooden table. i am using a coolermaster 460watt. It freeze and hang when i am pulling out or pluggin in the RCA slot with my computer on. The card is secured tightly with screws at the back panel. I tried swtiching my PCI slot but it still freeze. Not really a huge problem as how often do 1 have to unplug or plug in rca connectors. Thanks

I have a similar setup (ASUS P5B mobo, ST, Thermaltake Matrix case) and it happened twice. Once when I replugged the RCA connectors and pushed the card in a little bit, the PC froze. I disconnected everything, resettled the card in the slot, and it's working fine. Still, I don't think disconnecting live PCI cards is a very bright idea, so I just try not to touch the back of the card while the PC is on. Just the other day I was doing some cleaning inside the case, and even though I made sure that all components are settled firmly in their slots, the sound card must've somehow slipped out, and I couldn't get any sound in Windows. Turned the PC off, resettled the card. All's back to normal.

I haven't had anything like this happen with any other PCI, AGP, ISA, whatever card in over 20 years.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #2,088 of 5,721
yeah i try not to unplug or plug in the RCA when my computer is on. I jus hope that this is not a hardware problem.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #2,089 of 5,721

Quote:
I have a similar setup (ASUS P5B mobo, ST, Thermaltake Matrix case) and it happened twice. Once when I replugged the RCA connectors and pushed the card in a little bit, the PC froze. I disconnected everything, resettled the card in the slot, and it's working fine. Still, I don't think disconnecting live PCI cards is a very bright idea, so I just try not to touch the back of the card while the PC is on. Just the other day I was doing some cleaning inside the case, and even though I made sure that all components are settled firmly in their slots, the sound card must've somehow slipped out, and I couldn't get any sound in Windows. Turned the PC off, resettled the card. All's back to normal.

I haven't had anything like this happen with any other PCI, AGP, ISA, whatever card in over 20 years.

This confirms my first thoughts on this matter that the card is moving around in the PCI Express slot when pluging in the RCA plugs to its jacks. Some RCA plugs fit very very tightly & the force required to insert or remove can be tremendous. Monster turbine plugs are amongst the worst offenders here. It doesn't matter how secure you tighten the screw that holds the card in the PCI express slot as there is enough flex in most computer cases to allow some movement of the card in its slot. A stiffer case will probably still flex some but recover better. Most aluminum cases will not recover as well as a steel case will. The weaker the case the more likely you will have to manualy reset the card in order for the computer to function correctly apon restart whereas a stiffer case you may be able to restart successfully without manually reseting the card it its slot as the stiffer case will pull the card back into it's proper position without having to manually reset it.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #2,090 of 5,721
Ok so I plugged the analog output directly into my power amp and its singing beautifully. No pops or click at any point in the switching or when the computer is powering on. This was happening to my M-audio 1010LT so I was concerned about blowing my speakers since the amp is very powerful(250 real watts RMS) and my speakers are very efficient (93db/1Watt). Now I can switch between my HD650s and that flawlessly and both sound amazing. I didnt realize how much of a difference a sound card can make. This is almost as big a step as going from ye olde PC speaker to Sound Blaster 16 haha. Simply amazing. I ordered the card from Newegg and they included a free opamp upgrade kit which includes 2 LME49720NA. Offer ends 10/31 so if you havent bought this card and are considering, I urge you to get one.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2,091 of 5,721

Quote:
Ok so I plugged the analog output directly into my power amp and its singing beautifully. No pops or click at any point in the switching or when the computer is powering on. This was happening to my M-audio 1010LT so I was concerned about blowing my speakers since the amp is very powerful(250 real watts RMS) and my speakers are very efficient (93db/1Watt). Now I can switch between my HD650s and that flawlessly and both sound amazing. I didnt realize how much of a difference a sound card can make. This is almost as big a step as going from ye olde PC speaker to Sound Blaster 16 haha. Simply amazing. I ordered the card from Newegg and they included a free opamp upgrade kit which includes 2 LME49720NA. Offer ends 10/31 so if you havent bought this card and are considering, I urge you to get one.

You are also paying a premium price for newegg, I can buy the opamp upgrade from newegg and the card at a different place and have it come out cheaper. Nothing against newegg, I love the egg, but it is not competitively priced there right now.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #2,092 of 5,721
Thanks for all the work you put into this!
wink_face.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2,093 of 5,721
Not sure if this has already been posted, but Auzentech are selling a range of opamps on adapters, which may be useful to those of us without skill or courage with a soldering iron.

Currently I'm using 2x AD8620BR in the I/V and LME4910MA on the buffer - but the latter is a poor choice - it rolls off the treble far too much, and soundstage is gone, so I will be hunting for another buffer solution.  Maybe a discrete from Burson...

To me the AD8620BR's sound less rolled off in the treble (can be a bit incisive with my RS1's), with far better soundstage, but a relatively recessed midrange.  Bass is also extends deeper, but still isn't very prominent, nor any tighter/less so than stock.

I have still to try the LME49720 and LM6172 in the I/V, which if better would make me feel stupid for buying the AD8620BR's, but others have found the latter a better opamp.  Good fun anyway eh.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #2,094 of 5,721
Would playing around with the equalizer on iTunes be recommended? 

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #2,095 of 5,721
No, if you wanted a equalizer, use the one on board. The iTunes one sounds rather bad to me, foobar is another option.

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #2,097 of 5,721

Quote:
You are also paying a premium price for newegg, I can buy the opamp upgrade from newegg and the card at a different place and have it come out cheaper. Nothing against newegg, I love the egg, but it is not competitively priced there right now.

yeah.... I realized that AFTER I made the purchase.
frown.gif

Oh well, still worth it for me. This card is amazing! Im using 2xLME's for the I/V section and the sound is great coming out of my HD650s, best Ive ever heard it sound in fact. THis is mostly due to the DAC section as Ive never had as good of a source as this but ive used some great amps. Through the line-out into my power amp+speakers it sounds incredible. The bass is full and deep, I dont need a subwoofer at all. The whole spectrum is more detailed and lively than ever. Detail is almost as good as the cans. BTW, The speakers I'm using are the Energy Conniseur (sp?) C7's powered by my trusty Yamaha M-60. It drives the amp like a proper pre-amp. crap, even better than my Yamaha C85 pre, but thats probably again due to the quality DAC.
What would you guys recommend as a good buffer replacement? Im looking for even more bass if possible and perhaps a "grado-like" liveliness?

UPDATE: Ok so I just looked around my room and have found a few opamps. I have 2xOPA2134PA, 6xLM301AN, and 8xLM741CN. From what I understand, the 741 opamp is one of the oldest ones out there and when I think back when we were using them in my labs in school and measuring characteristics, they performed like crap (slew rate was 0.5V/usec). However, what about the lm301 or the 2134? Is there any sense in using the 2134 as either the buffer or the I/V?

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #2,099 of 5,721
Hi, been lurking here for a few weeks, what a great site!

To my question:

Has Asus uploaded new drivers to their ftp site: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/PUB/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_Essence_STX/PCI_STX_7_12_8_1792_Win7.zip ( there are zip's for xp and vista too )

Downloaded them but havent installed them yet.. They seem legit though, anyone tried them yet?

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #2,100 of 5,721
I just went ahead and installed it. Everything seems to be in working order and they got rid of the loud pop in the speakers/headphones when you switch between them!
Good find vreid!

Quote:
Hi, been lurking here for a few weeks, what a great site!

To my question:

Has Asus uploaded new drivers to their ftp site: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/PUB/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_Essence_STX/PCI_STX_7_12_8_1792_Win7.zip ( there are zip's for xp and vista too )

Downloaded them but havent installed them yet.. They seem legit though, anyone tried them yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back