The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #2,071 of 5,721

Hey guys, I'm want to get a warmer sound out of the STX and I'm planning on getting 2 OPA2107 as I/V.

I'm supposed to get the opa2107ap and not the opa2107au right? (i'm not quite sure what the differences are between the two =S)

Also, if I swap the buffer opamp to something like opa2228p in addition to the 2x OPA2107 in the I/V, I'd get an even warmer sound?

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #2,073 of 5,721
so listening to mostly 320 and v0 mp3's i should keep the sample rate at 44khz in the drivers and turn off 24 bit support in winamp? from what i've read, if i set it to a non-native 24 bit/192 khz there can be some distortion, is this right?

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #2,074 of 5,721
[size=x-small]Got a choice between two opamps and i am not sure which to get. It is either an OPA2107AP or LME49720NA as people have said good things about both but i am sure one of them is better and only if it is a little amount. it is for my HDAV 1.3

So my question is which of the opamps do your recommend or better still has the superior measured specs?
[/size]

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2,075 of 5,721
[size=small]So my question is which of the opamps do your recommend or better still has the superior measured specs? [/size]

[size=small]Just a question, have you allowed time for all you're gear to "burn-in?"  If it's not burned in, you won't have a true feel for your sound cards characteristics in regard to your gear and your soundcard.[/size]

The point, please be sure to get a couple hundred hours on your gear before you start "Amp Rolling."

L3000.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #2,076 of 5,721

Quote:
[size=x-small]Got a choice between two opamps and i am not sure which to get. It is either an OPA2107AP or LME49720NA as people have said good things about both but i am sure one of them is better and only if it is a little amount. it is for my HDAV 1.3

So my question is which of the opamps do your recommend or better still has the superior measured specs?
[/size]

In my opinion specs don't really matter that much when it comes to opamps as I learned upon testing several types from different manufacturers. For example, the OPA2107AP is a tad better on paper than the OPA2137P but for me the 2137s sound much better in the I/V than the 2107 or the [size=small]LME49720NA. It's a matter of taste rather than comparing some numbers and deciding upon those. The [/size][size=small]LME49720NA and [/size][size=small]LME49720[/size][size=small]HA have the exact same specs on paper yet the HA is much better in my opinion when used in the buffer with the OPA2137P in the I/Vs. The HA has soft and strong bass, the mids are moist and warm and the highs are clear and fast yet not fatiguing compared to the NA when used in the same setup has a more brittle fell and a washed out bass, the highs being pretty much the same.[/size]
[size=small]Just get your hands on a few samples and try them out yourself, you'll quickly realize that better specs vs. better sounding are two very different things.[/size]

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2,077 of 5,721
Can you tell me if that final buffer stage has any effect for headphone sund or not? I changed standard JRC for OPA 2604 and its much better, but should I bother with that LM4562 if I listen only on headphones?If yes, I was thinking about
AD8066 maybe?

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #2,078 of 5,721
The LM4562NA buffer is not used when using the amplified headphone output.

Quote:
Can you tell me if that final buffer stage has any effect for headphone sund or not? I changed standard JRC for OPA 2604 and its much better, but should I bother with that LM4562 if I listen only on headphones?If yes, I was thinking about
AD8066 maybe?

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #2,079 of 5,721
Hi guys, isit normal for my desktop to hang when i plug in or out of my RCA out? this happens recently. although its not much of a problem but i am curious.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #2,081 of 5,721

Quote:
Hi guys, isit normal for my desktop to hang when i plug in or out of my RCA out? this happens recently. although its not much of a problem but i am curious.

It may be because the card is moving around in the PCI express slot when plugging in RCA plugs causing missaligne contacts. It could also be brcause of a poor ground at the PC or a ground loop between it & the other componants. Usually this just generates noise but on occasion can cause malfunctions.

The question is is this happening only when the RCA plug is plugged in at the sound card or does it happen if the sound card end is already plugged in & you then plug in the other end. If it only happens when you plug in the end where the sound card is then the card is moving around in the PCI express slot. This is likely due to a weak back panel on the computer case combined with a loose fitting PCI express card slot. If it does it when either end is plugged in check your ground at all componants. This last I'm going to mention is unlikely but never hurts to check but also check the D.C. offset coming from the input of the following componant. As I mentioned however this is unlikely the issue. One issue I have seen is that some equipment is also sensitive to the polarity of the A.C. line coming in. Early Magnovox CD players were notorious for this. They would only function corectly if the neutral AC line was connected with the neutral house wiring (this is different than grounding, almost all 120V AC wiring have a hot & a neutral. With 240 volt lines both wires are hot. 120 volt lines only use half of the transformer with very rare occasions such as a friend of mines studio uses transformers that put out  60-0-60 volt lines so he could have balanced power wiring to all 120 volt equipmen in order to better utilize noise filtering & noise cancelation in the power wiring. My understaning is that the university of washington auditorium wiring is done this way also as that is what my friend based his wiring design on.)

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #2,082 of 5,721
Ok this is my problem and situation. My card is place at the last pci slot, furthest away from my graphic card. my desktop is on a short wooden table. i am using a coolermaster 460watt. It freeze and hang when i am pulling out or pluggin in the RCA slot with my computer on. The card is secured tightly with screws at the back panel. I tried swtiching my PCI slot but it still freeze. Not really a huge problem as how often do 1 have to unplug or plug in rca connectors. Thanks

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #2,083 of 5,721
Do you guys know if the analog outputs can be used as a preamp to a speaker power amp? I have a Yamaha M60 power amp and also the C85 preamp for it but I was wondering if I could bypass it and go directly to the power amp? WOuld this be a good idea? Also, is there any popping sounds associated with turning the computer on/off or switching outputs? My power amp is pretty powerful so I dont want to blow my speakers. Thanks! I am about to receive my ST in the mail today. Im excited to use it. Ive been using the onboard Realtek HD and M-Audio 1010LT and both of them are disappointing. The 1010LT is disappointing mostly because of its terrible drivers.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #2,084 of 5,721
The STX is a headphone amp.  I can take the analogue out and port it directly to a headphone amp with no troubles.  Can't say about porting the signal over to a speaker amp.  Best I can see, from looking at the manual, you can RCA over to powered speakers so you may have some play here.

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #2,085 of 5,721
Yeah, well that would mean that the amp+speakers is basically a set of powered speakers, which makes sense. Im just trying to see if the volume control on the board is good quality and whether or not there are any popping or clicking sounds associated with turning the computer on/off or switching between headphone and analog output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back