The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 16, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #2,056 of 5,721

Quote:
I am trying to record some SACDs using my ST card. Is there any simple improvement I can make to the phono inputs?

Input circuit is already pretty trnsperant in spite of the low grade coupling caps used. It is very very hard to pick up any difference in sound here compared to the original source. There are four electrolytic coupling caps in the line in circuit that feed the ADC. These cannot be bypassed or removed as there is a fair amount of D.C. on them. One could potentially put mettalyzed film caps in thier place except these would be huge & possibly subject to picking up interferance from inside the computer, hence I decided to leave mine alone.

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #2,057 of 5,721

Quote:
Input circuit is already pretty trnsperant in spite of the low grade coupling caps used. It is very very hard to pick up any difference in sound here compared to the original source.  

Glad to hear that. Thanks.
smile.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #2,059 of 5,721

Quote:
Thanks.
1 question though: are you using the lien out or the headset amp output ?

I use both but mostly the line out. This mod only effect the line out.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #2,061 of 5,721
Looking at the specs the LM4562 is the same with the LME49720NA tho the two sound different, the 4562 has a more fragile, more like brittle sound where as the 49720NA is more refined and sounds fuller than it's little brother. I didn't believe this myself until I tested it and it's true, just like the 49720NA vs. 49720HA.

LE: Just got the HAs and installed one in the buffer replacing the NA. Despite having identical specs they sound very different, the NA is harsh and quite fatiguing after a longer period of time while the HAs are more mellow and the bass is pronounced, well defined and it really is just better than it's little brother. Loving my current setup...

dsc08060u.jpg

PS: Bit of a getto mod until I get my TO-99 to DIP8 adapters.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #2,062 of 5,721
Alright guys, newbie here in need of an opinion.

I have the STX and Denon D2000's and the bass with this setup isn't where I want it. If I replace the OPAmps (A + B) I should notice a difference? I just want to alter the sound of the headphones, my desktop speakers are fine.

What OPAmps are known to give more bass, punch?

Thanks for the help.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #2,063 of 5,721
How many hours have you put on the STX as you need to put a couple hundred hours on it to get it to come up to it's potential.  Also, same thing with your headphones, they too need a couple hundred hours on them so they'll loosen up.

If you haven't done already, any evaluations you do with both the sound card and the headphones, should come after a couple hundred hours of use.

L3000.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #2,064 of 5,721

Quote:

I have the STX and Denon D2000's and the bass with this setup isn't where I want it. If I replace the OPAmps (A + B) I should notice a difference? I just want to alter the sound of the headphones, my desktop speakers are fine.

Thanks for the help.

i'm about asking the same question...
smile_phones.gif

yes, it kinda weird when i plug my Sennheiser HD555 into headpone out...it's like no bass at all, normally i plug my HD555 on Audio Pro Stereo One (direct setting)...i know it bad comparison, but i think JRC2114D really lack of bass ???

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #2,065 of 5,721

Quote:

Thanks for the help.

I've heard that the stock op amps have good bass impact and volume compared with various others.  I personally have heard good bass with the stock amps + D2000.  If you want more bass impact, don't use headphones.  They can't generate very much without having a very loud volume.

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #2,067 of 5,721
And FWIW, as much as I love the Xonar STX, for the price, convenience and killer sound it gives the user, yes, it's a great unit.  "BUT," it's not a stand alone DAC or Amp and one will eventually fall victim to it's limitations.  When this is the case, it's time to start going up the upgrade curve, looking into the likes of something with a bit more umph to it such as an Audio-gd "Sparrow", an Andio-gd "Fun" or stand alone DAC's and Amps as opposed to OpAmp rolling.

ph34r.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #2,068 of 5,721

Quote:
Yeah will probably stick to the Forte for a gaming card and set up a seperate DAC/Amp setup for music listening/mixing purposes. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Now I have to figure out a way to use the same PC with a seperate DAC/Amp setup for as far as I'm aware, having an external DAC will completely bypass any sound from the PC to the DAC, which would mean the soundcard would be useless (which I don't want as I need it for gaming sound.)

Edit: Apparently you can actually run multiple sources on windows 7 via Foobar/Winamp and ASIO4ALL? That helps a lot, time to finally move away from itunes. Forte > Amp > Headphones for gaming and then PC > DAC > Amp > Speakers/Headphones for music/movies? Sorry, still learning!

I think you are a bit mis-informed or I am misunderstanding you.  You can use a DAC/amp in a gaming setup and have all the audio effects from EAX 1,2,3,4,5 and OpenAL.  Use a Forte as a source for your external DAC as this way you have all the processing power of the Forte but the D to A tasks are handled by the external DAC.  Windows has been able to run multiple soudncards for a long time now.  I usually have multiple cards installed and have freinds who use 3-4 soudncards in their systems.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #2,070 of 5,721

Quote:
Looking at the specs the LM4562 is the same with the LME49720NA tho the two sound different, the 4562 has a more fragile, more like brittle sound where as the 49720NA is more refined and sounds fuller than it's little brother. I didn't believe this myself until I tested it and it's true, just like the 49720NA vs. 49720HA.

LE: Just got the HAs and installed one in the buffer replacing the NA. Despite having identical specs they sound very different, the NA is harsh and quite fatiguing after a longer period of time while the HAs are more mellow and the bass is pronounced, well defined and it really is just better than it's little brother. Loving my current setup...

dsc08060u.jpg

PS: Bit of a getto mod until I get my TO-99 to DIP8 adapters.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="1" />

According to National Semi conductor the only difference between the LM4562 and the LME49720 in the same package type is the paint.  They were going to dis-continue the LM4562 numbering but it is too mell known know, Either way they are the same chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back