The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Mar 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,591 of 5,721
I noticed that Stereophile has finally put their review and measurements for the STX and ST online. It was on the cover of the December or January issue, making it the cheapest product ever to appear on their cover.

Stereophile: ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX soundcards

There are a few technical errors (like the number of op-amps in the output stage). The review doesn't go into extreme detail about the sound quality, but I think it's pretty accurate. He didn't swap any op-amps so the review is based on the stock op-amps only.

He compared the cards to an Ayre QB-9 and a Squeezebox and judged it to be between the two which agrees with my experience with my Squeezeboxes and more expensive DAC's.

There are some interesting things to note in the measurements. The ST seemed to measure quite a bit worse than the STX, but they were in 2 different computers (the ST in an older XP environment, the STX in a new Vista box) so it isn't clear if those differences can be attributed to the cards themselves, the specific computers they were in or a combination of both.

Still, many here have noted that the ST sounds better, but the reviewer didn't notice any such disparity and the ST measured worse in this instance. Maybe it comes down to the environment, where either card in a better environment with better hardware around it will outperform the other in a worse environment.

The reviewer made no note of the ST having lower jitter than the STX, and he did measure both, so perhaps the extra clock in the ST isn't making as much of a difference as people think if any at all.

The headphone amp measured pretty well, but had quite a bit higher THD on the highest gain setting compared to the lowest setting. I'm not sure if the distortion is audible, but many people here seem to prefer the highest gain setting, which seems like the exact opposite of what should be the case based on the measurements. I never noticed a difference in sound quality between the different gain settings, so always used the low or middle setting with my K701's because it was the most comfortable.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #1,594 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but they were in 2 different computers (the ST in an older XP environment, the STX in a new Vista box) so it isn't clear if those differences can be attributed to the cards themselves, the specific computers they were in or a combination of both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumaiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please note that he used different computers to run each card.

As I pointed out.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #1,596 of 5,721
Will I be able to take advantage of the DAC if I use the RCA outputs to my tube headphone amp? I was under the impression you can only get bit-perfect playback with coax or optical?

I'm confused lol.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #1,597 of 5,721
i've done my best to search through this thread, but i've still got a couple of standing questions:

1. don't care too much about asio or bit-matching. for simplicity i will be using itunes. under quicktime preferences for "play audio using," windows audio session is grayed out (due to my OS = W7 64-bit, if i've read up correctly), which means i've got to choose "safe mode" or "direct sound." does it matter? why the hell is it grayed out in the first place?
2. am i correct to assume that QT sound out should match windows default format as well as xonar audio center settings? for me it would be 24-bit, 44.1kHz, stereo.
3. exclusive mode in windows? yes/no on one or both check boxes?
4. i understand that for low impedance headphones, the ST built-in amp ain't all that great. i have a CMOY portable amp coming in the mail. will the CMOY amp be of ANY benefit for my headphone out or for my line out to speakers for that matter? or will it just be redundant and make things worse? speakers are klipsch 2.1s and i've got a pair of grado rs1i's.

thanks in advance guys.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #1,599 of 5,721
Whoa, guys, I forgot I even made this thread many moons ago. I'll do my best to update the OP with what I find since I last checked in. I've updated it with what I've found on the last 8 pages or so.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #1,600 of 5,721
Question about the output of the STX. The speaker output isn't amped is it? I'm feeding my K701 by STX speaker out to an external amp. So changing the opamps on the STX would have no effect for my case?

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #1,601 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question about the output of the STX. The speaker output isn't amped is it? I'm feeding my K701 by STX speaker out to an external amp. So changing the opamps on the STX would have no effect for my case?

Speaker output isn't amped no.

But changing the op-amps will still have an effect. Op-amps don't mean that they're used as an Amplifier portion of the system.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #1,602 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are not "speaker outputs" they are line-level outputs. They are meant to be connected to a preamp or a power amplifer. You can drive some headphones straight form the output sure.
You can still change the opamps even if you are using the line outs.
All 3 can be changed when using the line outputs.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #1,603 of 5,721
Hi there,

Just mounted some AD797 as buffer, on top of a browndog adapter.
I still have the 49720NA as I&V.
First for placing the adapter you need a bit of care, since the caps around the final buffer are quite high (higher than the dip socket) and very close to the amp. A slow, carefull pressure can bent the caps such that they reach about the same heigth as the DIP socket. The rest is straight forward.

For assembling back the cover, you have to bent it slightly. To avoid direct contact between the AD797 and the cover I inserted in between some ESD paper (cut out of the original package from the AD797).

Everything back in the PC, turn on foobar, I listen to the result, using Ayo, gravity at last, which is a very nice recording. For listening, I have a Klipsch iFi 2.1 system connected to the line out. Straight out I could feel the wider spectrum extension. I like the deeper though tight bass, and a nice overall clarity. Hard to speak about soundstage, perception is so much different than a pair of cans.

One point i find strange, I would like your feedback here: have you ever used volume beyond 50% ? As soon as I do it, I have clipped samples resulting in a scratch. Is this related to the max input of my speakers ?

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #1,604 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by [OverDrive] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ManuLM:

Hi dispiace per il mio inglese, ma italiana I'am.

È possibile utilizzare per 701 thi OPamp in I / V:

OPA2137P
OPA2132P/PA
OPA2277P/PA

I do not know about these. Some reports about 2137 in the first post, you may want to check it out

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #1,605 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not managed to find good OA for the K701. So far all I heard was too harsh for the K701. I also believe not feeding enough current to get a good bass base, my take on this is this is a hard limitation from the headamp I/C (TPA6120A2).
What I/V do you have in mind for the K701?

BTW Robscix, any investigations/attempts so far to change the TPA6120A2 :p ? Or is my analysis wrong on current limitation?

Edit: from TPA6120A2 datasheet, my analysis seems wrong (output current 700mA max... ). But then why such a result on K701?

I agree with you on the harshness of the sound. I have the line-out of the STX fed to a Meier Corda Head five amp. The amp is actually quite warm and well suited for the K701 but since switching to source from on-board sound to STX the sound is way too harsh. Have you figured out on which opamps set to go with at all yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back