The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 27, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #886 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the 20HA to be a bit hot up top. It added sibilance to tracks I know did not contain any since I've heard them on other fairly solid equipment, including my own speaker setup. The NA I found had a wider soundstage, slightly better imaging, definitely more bass and a smoother/more natural treble that wasn't any less extended than the 20HA.

it's interesting how different setup/headphones can lead to different results. i'm using stx's headphone out and i'm getting much more bass from HA than NA. also sibilance is much more present with NA than HA. basically i couldn't take NA after some time because of the piercing highs. on the other hand, i'm too experiencing wider soundstage and better imaging with NA.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #887 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's interesting how different setup/headphones can lead to different results. i'm using stx's headphone out and i'm getting much more bass from HA than NA. also sibilance is much more present with NA than HA. basically i couldn't take NA after some time because of the piercing highs. on the other hand, i'm too experiencing wider soundstage and better imaging with NA.

This is pretty much my experience with those amps and the headphone out. I'm guessing the latest debacle around the LT1057ACN8 is due to different combinations of I/V, buffer or headphone amplifiers rather than actual cans (though they're obviously influencing the overall experience too).

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #888 of 5,721
^^ +1, a good thing about headphone out is that i don't have to worry about buffer. i imagine it takes a lot more tweaking and swaps to hit a sweet spot when buffer is a factor.

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #889 of 5,721
Quote:

^^ +1, a good thing about headphone out is that i don't have to worry about buffer. i imagine it takes a lot more tweaking and swaps to hit a sweet spot when buffer is a factor.

Yes, which is why I fear the day I take the step into separate headphone amplifier world
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #890 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying OPA2228P+2xOPA2107AP atm and I'm liking it. Getting really hard to tell what's better. The only setup I didn't like so far was the LT1057s in I/V.

Well the LT1057 are getting hit hard in the last time :wink: What did you not like about those? I Used the 2107AP for about 7-8 Weeks now and i am also impressed. They are nearly perfect, but i want more "in your face sound" the frequecy responste on the 2107AP is perfect... but right now i am trying the LT1364.
In terms of frequency response they are very similar to the 2107. But the soundstage is more narrow -> more "in your face". So far i like it. But, when listening at higher volumes the highs sometimes get harsh...

greetings from germany
cross

p.s.@ Cynips: Right now i am listening to one of my favourite metal Bands. Coming from Falun, Sweden which seems to be where you live :wink: Guess which band :p

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #891 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p.s.@ Cynips: Right now i am listening to one of my favourite metal Bands. Coming from Falun, Sweden which seems to be where you live :wink: Guess which band :p

Since Sabaton is pretty much the only metal band I know of that's my guess
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #892 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the LT1057 are getting hit hard in the last time :wink: What did you not like about those?

The highs were too shrill/harsh which was quite a bad combo with my Klipsch speakers. Through the HP out, they just didn't sound as good as the OPA2228/2107s. Too harsh again I think, like they were sucking the life out of the music hehe.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #894 of 5,721
The only think im trying to figure out now is how the Dolby Headphone works, isn't there any defenite setting here? like 2 channel for music, 6 channels for movies and 8 channels for gaming? Or can I have it on "2 Channels" all the time and still get fully functional Dolby Headphone?

Also, when right-clicking Speakers in Windows mixer and pressing "Configure", should i tick "Full-Range Speakers"? I use the Essence with HD-650 and Z-5500.

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #896 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't use full-range speakers with the Z-5500 since they have a sub.

Ok, so I have to change it from On to Off everytime I'm switching between the headphone and the z-5500?
frown.gif

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #897 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't use full-range speakers with the Z-5500 since they have a sub.

When I read Z-5500 I remembering them being listed as Full range speakers, I know I looked at the info a couple of times. I have always used Full range when I had them installed in my room earlier this year. I made sure and they was indeed Full range speakers.

I did try them with them set to off but I didnt like them with it off other then it being a hassle to turn it off and on with headphones.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #898 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I read Z-5500 I remembering them being listed as Full range speakers, I know I looked at the info a couple of times. I have always used Full range when I had them installed in my room earlier this year. I made sure and they was indeed Full range speakers.

I did try them with them set to off but I didnt like them with it off other then it being a hassle to turn it off and on with headphones.

Thanks for the info!

So i guess the HD-650 should have Full-Range Speakers checked aswell?
Wierd thing it was off by default on my computer, so I've had the z-5500 unticked for 2 years. It was just now when i got the HD-650 i discovered it.

*Edit* If i want to use "PLII Music" effect on my z-5500 with the Essence, do i also have to check the "Dolby Virtual Speaker" in Xonar Audio Center?

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #899 of 5,721
Quote:

I won't argue this because my results are based solely off the line-outs as I find them to sound significantly better than the HP-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back