The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Sep 11, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #826 of 5,721
I have definitely seen at least one other person with the ACN8s.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #828 of 5,721
Running a LT1057 as buffer right now with the two OPA2228s as I/V. No artifacts/distortion that I can hear so far, but I'll have to listen some more. Sounds good, but I can't really tell if it is better or not.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #829 of 5,721
I'm having real trouble finding a good combination. First I got 2 LT1057s and found them unbearably hollow, and the trebles were too loud and harsh. I replaced these with the LME49720HA which were a lot better but I couldn't use 3 of them because the trebles were too loud. They are more energetic than the stock JRCs but only the JRCs seem to have the right balance of bass, mid and treble. So I use 2 of the LMEs with 1 JRC in the buffer. I would like to find an op-amp to replace the JRC, something with an increased mid and lowered treble which complements the LME's loud treble, but only if it's an improvement over the JRC. I don't know why everyone says the JRC is no good, it lacks a bit of detail but is a lot better than the 1057s in my opinion.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #830 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by walsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having real trouble finding a good combination. First I got 2 LT1057s and found them unbearably hollow, and the trebles were too loud and harsh. I replaced these with the LME49720HA which were a lot better but I couldn't use 3 of them because the trebles were too loud. They are more energetic than the stock JRCs but only the JRCs seem to have the right balance of bass, mid and treble. So I use 2 of the LMEs with 1 JRC in the buffer. I would like to find an op-amp to replace the JRC, something with an increased mid and lowered treble which complements the LME's loud treble, but only if it's an improvement over the JRC. I don't know why everyone says the JRC is no good, it lacks a bit of detail but is a lot better than the 1057s in my opinion.

What is the setup you're using to listen to music (in addition to the STX)? And also, may I ask what genre(s) you're listening to?

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #831 of 5,721
Quote:

Your right. Avoid 3 of the same type as when used for I/V and buffer the good points and bad points compound. It is not that the JRC's are bad, consider the stock specs of the STX. They are quite good but compared to others they leave a bit to be desired.
Maybe a 2134 might be the ticket for the buffer for you. They have the laid back burr brown sound which is to say a glossy high range which tends to smooth over rougher signatures. It is really hard to give an exact recommendation as it would involve testing to get a perfect match for you and your gear.
What type of speakers and cans are you using?

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #832 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the setup you're using to listen to music (in addition to the STX)? And also, may I ask what genre(s) you're listening to?

Amp: Yamaha ax-597
Speakers: Quad 11L

For genre I listen to just about everything: rock, classical, ambient, metal. Classical and ambient sound pretty good using just the LMEs but rock guitars are slightly too high-pitched with not a lot of "oomph". Cymbals are sometimes overpowering.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #833 of 5,721
Quote:

Amp: Yamaha ax-597
Speakers: Quad 11L

For genre I listen to just about everything: rock, classical, ambient, metal. Classical and ambient sound pretty good using just the LMEs but rock guitars are slightly too high-pitched with not a lot of "oomph". Cymbals are sometimes overpowering.

Well, yeah, I think there's quite a bit of difference in synergy with different setups. I'm listening via the headphone out and my cans are on the warm side of the sound spectrum to begin with, so it would explain why we get so vastly different results. Genre-wise I'm relatively eclectic too, so I don't think that's got anything to do with it.

I fear the day I decide to get an external amp and have to deal with the buffer too...
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #834 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your right. Avoid 3 of the same type as when used for I/V and buffer the good points and bad points compound. It is not that the JRC's are bad, consider the stock specs of the STX. They are quite good but compared to others they leave a bit to be desired.
Maybe a 2134 might be the ticket for the buffer for you. They have the laid back burr brown sound which is to say a glossy high range which tends to smooth over rougher signatures. It is really hard to give an exact recommendation as it would involve testing to get a perfect match for you and your gear.
What type of speakers and cans are you using?

Thanks, I ordered two units of the 2134. I'll let you know how they do!

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #835 of 5,721
I think they may be what your after. They should smooth out the trebles a bit more for your if using them for the buffer position and the LME's in the I/V stages.
Let us know if they work as I think they should. If they don't work as you need them to. Let me know, I will go through my own opamps collection and do some testing with your problem in mind and figure out a better fit.

Take care.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #836 of 5,721
Trying 2xLT1057 with a OPA2228 as buffer and there is definitely something wrong again. It is a bit hard to notice but I can definitely hear some crackles in the high frequencies sometimes. I hear no such thing when using the HP amp.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #838 of 5,721
With the Lt1057s in I/V, I had issues with both the OPA2228 and the stock LM4562 as buffer.

Running 2xOPA2228+LM4562 right now and everything is fine. 2xOPA2228+LT1057 was also fine.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #840 of 5,721
I use the EQ when using my headphones, but I only touch the low frequencies. I could hear the "crackling" with both my headphones and my speakers when using the line out. Didn't apply any other effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back