The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 17, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #4,846 of 5,721
  I just wanted to pop in to thank this thread sincerely. I find a lot of audiophile stuff to be a bunch of hogwash, but I do have a pair of HD 800s and an Essence STX that I've used for years now. I just discovered this thread tonight and I have to say there is an absolute night and day difference in the sound I am getting with these cans after setting up foobar properly and using the unified drivers. The soundstage, which always floored me, is somehow even more amazing and the bass is just so tight and defined. Really a genuine enhancement to my listening experience. Thanks again for taking the time to gather this information up!

Could you post the URL to the particular posts relating to "setting up foobar correctly" please?

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #4,847 of 5,721
Sure - one poster linked to the HeadFi wiki, which you can find for the STX at http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx#wiki

Took 5 minutes to disable on-board audio which was mentioned a few posts back, find an ASIO plugin for Foobar, set up the PPHS resampler dsp and bam! For opinions, what do you folks think about running out of the STX into a Schiit Valhalla 2? I'd love to compare the two amp styles, so I was thinking of picking up one.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,848 of 5,721
Well I'm thinking I want to re-enable my onboard so I can have a second Toslink. One for my BiFrost DAC and the other for my Logitech Speakers. Someone said to connect my logitech speakers via analog but I would think a digital link would be superior right?

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #4,849 of 5,721
  ...after setting up foobar properly...

I dunno how people use that program. :\ It's like DOS... MusicBee did the trick for me(ASIO, WASAPI), good enough to live without WinAmp, although I miss having a hotkey to "rate song 5-stars". 

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #4,850 of 5,721
Just for reference, I am using the Xonar Essence STX for nearly a year now on a Linux Mint PC. No issues whatsoever. I'm running Gmusicbrowser using ALSA in a bitperfect setup (here is how it's done: http://www.head-fi.org/t/561961/bit-perfect-audio-from-linux#post_7596268). The onboard sound is disabled. The STX drives either a deVa amplifier or my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #4,852 of 5,721
Was wondering how to install the DUAL SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER opamps on my ST??   Does 1&8 represent the “U” shaped cut on the original opamp?  I'm also buying from frugalphile but wanted to make sure so I don't burn anything up.  

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #4,853 of 5,721
Does anyone know if it's possible to duplicate your sound card as a second device output? 

↖                                    ↗
Here is an example for anyone confused. 

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #4,855 of 5,721
  Was wondering how to install the DUAL SOIC LME49990 DIP8 ADAPTER op-amps on my ST??   Does 1&8 represent the “U” shaped cut on the original op-amp?  I'm also buying from Frugalphile but wanted to make sure so I don't burn anything up.  

I'm not around my STX right now, so I can't double check.
But there should be a small white half circle (You call it "U" shaped) on one end of the dual op-amps to DIP-8 adapter (Assuming it's were the 1 & 8 is)
There should also be a small notch in the white outline of the buffer and I/V slots.
So those two notch/circles should be lined up and show you how the op-amp/adapter should be facing.
I'm guess the 1&8 should be towards the back panel of the ST.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #4,856 of 5,721
  Well I'm thinking I want to re-enable my on-board so I can have a second Toslink. One for my BiFrost DAC and the other for my Logitech Speakers. Someone said to connect my Logitech speakers via analog but I would think a digital link would be superior right?

Chances are the CS4398 DAC chip on the Xonar DX/D1 (used $60) offers better audio quality then whatever DAC feature was built into the Logitech 5.1 speakers.
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z also comes with the CS4398 DAC chip.
Both the Xonar DX/D1 (Dolby Headphone) and SB-Z (SBX Headphone) comes with optical output and 5.1 analog speaker output.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #4,857 of 5,721
Anyone went from a lower xonar card like a DGX to the STX and noticed a difference? I have the chance to pickup an STX at a reduced price brand new tomorrow but don't know if it's going to offer a noticeable improvement.

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #4,858 of 5,721
the STX will offer you a better headphone as well op-amp rolling which you don't have on the DGX. so if you can get it cheap, i would say go for it.

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #4,859 of 5,721
  Anyone went from a lower Xonar card like a DGX to the STX and noticed a difference? I have the chance to pickup an STX at a reduced price brand new tomorrow but don't know if it's going to offer a noticeable improvement.

It might depend on the headphones, but you should notice some amount of audio quality improvement.
What headphones are you using?
What price for the STX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back