The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Feb 7, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4,801 of 5,721
Hello all,

I just received my HE-400 headphones today and have them hooked up to my Asus Xonar ST and had a few questions.

First of all, the headphones were really quiet when using the "Normal Gain", so I changed that setting to "High Gain" which resolved that issue, but I'm hardly noticing any bass at all (this was the same thing as my previous headphones).

If I change the equalizer in the Audio Center to the Bass option, it greatly helps, but I really don't want to have to use the equalizer just to be able to hear bass.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Will switching out amps help with the bass?  Should I buy an external AMP instead?  The headphones are brand-new, so I know they need to be burned in; will burning them in increase the bass at all?

I did purchase some replacement Velour pads, but not sure if that will help or not.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #4,803 of 5,721
I've noticed that only if I change the gain from normal to high I get an acceptable amp for my headphones. without it, even with system sound at 100%, the volume is too weak. I don't know, as higher gain can damage the headphones right? it looks like the amplification of the STX isn't worth much... 

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #4,805 of 5,721
  I thought raising the gain just increases the volume output and wouldn't damage your headset unless you had the volume too loud?

you are correct. it just raises volume potential.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #4,806 of 5,721
  I just received my HE-400 headphones today and have them hooked up to my Asus Xonar ST and had a few questions.
First of all, the headphones were really quiet when using the "Normal Gain", so I changed that setting to "High Gain" which resolved that issue, but I'm hardly noticing any bass at all (this was the same thing as my previous headphones).
If I change the equalizer in the Audio Center to the Bass option, it greatly helps, but I really don't want to have to use the equalizer just to be able to hear bass.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Will switching out amps help with the bass?  Should I buy an external AMP instead?  The headphones are brand-new, so I know they need to be burned in; will burning them in increase the bass at all?
I did purchase some replacement Velour pads, but not sure if that will help or not.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Is the motherboard's on-board audio disabled? in the BIOS.
Remove the Asus drivers and try a clean install of the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/
Try using the program Foobar2000 for playing audio files.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #4,807 of 5,721
A question regarding my DT990 headphones (250 ohms):  I have the gain set at the middle level (64~300 ohms), but would going to the higher level benefit me at all?  Also, I saw in the OP that the HF (hi-fi) setting is recommended to be turned on.  After this is ticked all EQ settings go away in the Xonar Audio Center and my headphones sound pretty flat.  Do I just use Foobar to adjust EQ now?

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,808 of 5,721
A question regarding my DT990 headphones (250 ohms):  I have the gain set at the middle level (64~300 ohms), but would going to the higher level benefit me at all?  Also, I saw in the OP that the HF (hi-fi) setting is recommended to be turned on.  After this is ticked all EQ settings go away in the Xonar Audio Center and my headphones sound pretty flat.  Do I just use Foobar to adjust EQ now?

I too have the same combo, but there is no advantage to setting the gain any higher, it would just make the volume very high.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #4,810 of 5,721
What settings should I use on this card to get optimum positional audio from counter-strike: Global offensive? Is it better to have it set in 2ch or 8ch? dolby on/off? hi-fi mode -  game mode?

CSGO and music are the only things I use my computer for haha. Any help appreciated. 

thanks

headphones: Phillips Fidelio X1

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #4,811 of 5,721
Hello to you all!

Recently. I bought three discrete op amp to upgrade my asus essence st. Well i mounted them on the card double checked if everything is ok and when i sat listen i noticed that while playing there was distorsion. It goes away when i lower the volume of foobar almostt at -60 or -70%but it is not a solution. Do you have any similar experience and if yes what could i do?

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #4,812 of 5,721
I've had the STX for a little over 2 years now, and absolutely love it.  I've got it digitally connected to my AV amp, since my music collection is on my PC.  Running JRiver Media Center in WASAPI mode, it's a great sounding system.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #4,813 of 5,721
I might have brought up this problem before, but I seem to be only able to control the audio volume on the left channel on any device connected to my sound card. I encountered this problem about a year ago, and then it disappeared for a while, only to come back a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember doing anything to cause this. I've updated the drivers, but the problem remains. Ideas? 

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #4,814 of 5,721
I'm trying to get flexbass (LFE?) to work with my subwoofer and my powered monitors. How can I make this work? My subs are RCA, which i can convert to digital coaxial..and my powered monitors take the rca. will the xonar be able to recognize that the digital coaxial is a subwoofer?

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4,815 of 5,721
  I'm trying to get flexbass (LFE?) to work with my subwoofer and my powered monitors. How can I make this work? My subs are RCA, which i can convert to digital coaxial..and my powered monitors take the rca. will the xonar be able to recognize that the digital coaxial is a subwoofer?

try this - set the xonar control panel to Audio Channel: 2 channel, and Analog Out:5.1. Then connect the sub to the center/sub jack using a 3.5mm to rca.

edit: well, that would work on my xonar dx, but I forgot the essense stx doesn't have a center/sub output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back