The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jan 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #4,786 of 5,721
lol ok. Then maybe s different headphones are the solution? anything you can recommend(like the HD 380 Pro, closed, very sound isolating, same sound signature but with more bass)?

Currently my preferred closed headphone is the Audio Technica ATH-A900X, with Hifiman Velour ear pads.
To me the A900X have fairly decent bass and a good over all balanced audio.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #4,787 of 5,721
I think the Dolby settings of the STX and Windows 7 are not "synchronized". I just watched a Gears Of War 2 walkthrough video, and weapon fire, explosions and talking that came from the sides, back or far away were very low or not audible at all. How can I set this correctly?

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #4,788 of 5,721
Hey guys I recently purchased the STX and I made sure all of my onboard sound drivers and bios were removed and turned off and I made sure my Nvidia Audio driver was removed upon a fresh install recently. I noticed anytime I move my mouse or mouse wheel I hear a hum and a morse code sound beeping then I stop moving my mouse it stops. I also get really load popping sometime when playing music and games.
I assume this is not normal and just wondering if anyone have had same issues and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #4,790 of 5,721
  Are you using rear panel jack or have you connected to the front panel jack? I get a lot more interference from my PC using the FP jack , none (that I can hear) from the jack on the rear of the card.  

Rear RCA L and R out straight to my Adam speakers unbalanced.  I have tried 3 set of cables as well the problem is still there so I am thinking it might be a bad sound card.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #4,791 of 5,721
I was using a after modded STX driver and I decided to uninstall it and try the stock Asus Driver from there site and all is working 100% now with zero hum or popping etc.. Now that's what I am talking about crystal clear at high volume. I might just have to keep this card after all, but I am looking forward to try the TEAC UD-H01 via XLR to compare..
Thanks

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,792 of 5,721
Good job Lucky87. I was going to suggest drivers (usually people go from stock to unifed) or possibly moving slots. I've not had any issues with stock drivers on Win7 machine in the many years I've had my STX. Enjoy the music! 

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #4,794 of 5,721
with old games like cs go and tf2, try snd_legacy_surround 1 and snd_surround_speakers 5 with gx mode, with dolby headphone.
For audio channel, 6 channels is good in general. I believe the setting is actually irrelevant if GX mode is in use.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #4,795 of 5,721
~~Hi All recently a bought a used (Xonar Essence STX) installed driver and card when the volume is 100% i hear almost no sound both speakers and Headphones ( only very very low sound ) some stuff u might ask that i've already did :
- 4-pin power cable is connected right - driver used 1777 , 1793 , 1794
- Asus Essence STX speakers is the default playback
- i've chosen heaphones and 2 speakers , still sound is coming but extremely low
- onboard sound cars is disabled

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #4,796 of 5,721
  ~~Hi All recently a bought a used (Xonar Essence STX) installed driver and card when the volume is 100% i hear almost no sound both speakers and Headphones ( only very very low sound ) some stuff u might ask that i've already did :
- 4-pin power cable is connected right - driver used 1777 , 1793 , 1794
- Asus Essence STX speakers is the default playback
- i've chosen heaphones and 2 speakers , still sound is coming but extremely low
- onboard sound cars is disabled

Sounds like either insufficient drive gain at your external amplifier, an incorrect headphone-amplifier gain setting, or a serious hardware issue with your STX'™ analog-output section.  I have used an STX™ for over a year in an Asus® CM1630-06 and it has performed as advertised, once the drivers are installed (see also my caveat Post #4778 concerning attempting to install the Maxed Tech® UNi XONAR® Audio Software when virtual-webcam softwares are present); I normally run the RCA outs ("2 Speakers") through a Pyle® PCA2 amplifier into a pair of Realistic®/Radio Shack® #40-2054 two-ways, with the internal Texas Instruments® TP6120A2 on the 6.3mm TRS jack ("Headphones") on standby for any of a number of headphones I use.

Failures of the dual op amps in the I-V section are rare but not unknown.  The JRC® 2114D and its competition have similar weaknesses to most linear integrated circuits; same applies to the National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments® LM4562N and competitive dual audio amps in line-level buffer position.  As I understand things, the Asus® XONAR® Audio Center™ can set the headphone-amplifier gain for different load impedances; three gain levels are provided.

"Hard" hardware issues for the XONAR® Essence™ Series may involve the actual resistors and capacitors of the signal chain from the I-V section to the headphone jack and RCA line-level outputs.  Functional headphone jack and dead RCA's indicate a failed line-level buffer dual audio amp, while a dead headphone jack and functional RCA's indicate a failed headphone-amplifier IC.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #4,797 of 5,721

Sounds like either insufficient drive gain at your external amplifier, an incorrect headphone-amplifier gain setting, or a serious hardware issue with your STX'™ analog-output section.  I have used an STX™ for over a year in an Asus® CM1630-06 and it has performed as advertised, once the drivers are installed (see also my caveat Post #4778 concerning attempting to install the Maxed Tech® UNi XONAR® Audio Software when virtual-webcam softwares are present); I normally run the RCA outs ("2 Speakers") through a Pyle® PCA2 amplifier into a pair of Realistic®/Radio Shack® #40-2054 two-ways, with the internal Texas Instruments® TP6120A2 on the 6.3mm TRS jack ("Headphones") on standby for any of a number of headphones I use.

Failures of the dual op amps in the I-V section are rare but not unknown.  The JRC® 2114D and its competition have similar weaknesses to most linear integrated circuits; same applies to the National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments® LM4562N and competitive dual audio amps in line-level buffer position.  As I understand things, the Asus® XONAR® Audio Center™ can set the headphone-amplifier gain for different load impedances; three gain levels are provided.

"Hard" hardware issues for the XONAR® Essence™ Series may involve the actual resistors and capacitors of the signal chain from the I-V section to the headphone jack and RCA line-level outputs.  Functional headphone jack and dead RCA's indicate a failed line-level buffer dual audio amp, while a dead headphone jack and functional RCA's indicate a failed headphone-amplifier IC.

tried the three levels of gain
0-64 just like no sound
64 - 300 higher but very very very low sound
300 - 600 higher but still barely hearable

both rca and headphones out are not working , I think it is a gain problem , what possible solutions I could do ?

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #4,798 of 5,721

tried the three levels of gain
0-64 just like no sound
64 - 300 higher but very very very low sound
300 - 600 higher but still barely hearable

both rca and headphones out are not working , I think it is a gain problem , what possible solutions I could do ?

i noticed in the picture your SVN is clicked on and this with screw with your volume controls as it normalizes the volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back