The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Aug 5, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5,071 of 5,721
I'm using Denon X2000 AVR, and I believe it is configured properly. I get surround sound from games, but firefox, spotify, etc only outputs front left and right. According to tkoreaper's answer, RCA (analog) connectors will only output stereo sound to my AVR, even if I set upmix stereo to surround from AVR, it will not be real surround. I'm a newbee about the audio connections, correct me if I'm wrong.

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #5,072 of 5,721
  I bought this card and I wonder if I can connect this to my AVR using analog output and get 5.1 sound? I'm currently using S/PDIF optical output and having problems with audio delay and upmixing. I think Asus drivers are broken and they work if you are lucky enough...

The Essence STX can only output 2-channels thru the RCA line-output, to you need to use S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), to output 6-channels (5.1) from the STX.
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the Essence STX and driver software?

What exactly are you trying to up-mix?
(from what to what)

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #5,073 of 5,721
Sorry if this has been answered before, but according to the FAQ on the Uni driver page we should set the software and windows control panel to 24bit/44.1khz (generally speaking).  However, the guide section on the Head-Fi Asus Xonar Essence STX page states we should up-sample to 48khz due to a 24bit/44.1khz bug.  Was this resolved recently and the Head-Fi guide is out of date?

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #5,074 of 5,721

The Essence STX can only output 2-channels thru the RCA line-output, to you need to use S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), to output 6-channels (5.1) from the STX.
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the Essence STX and driver software?

What exactly are you trying to up-mix?
(from what to what)

No I did not disable it from the bios, I disabled it from the device management in windows. I want to upmix from 2.1 to 5.1

In windows 8.1 I could set everything as I wanted, after upgrading to windows 10, it was still working, then I wanted to do a clean install and could not set it up again.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #5,076 of 5,721

No I did not disable it from the bios, I disabled it from the device management in windows. I want to upmix from 2.1 to 5.1

In windows 8.1 I could set everything as I wanted, after upgrading to windows 10, it was still working, then I wanted to do a clean install and could not set it up again.

Upmixing on the Essence STX or the receiver?

I would run optical from the Essence STX to the receiver.
Set the STX's Audio Channel to 6-channel and enable DDL (Dolby Digital Live) in S/PDIF
And send 6-channels of audio to the receiver.
To output to the 5.1 speaker setup.
Or is your setup different?

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #5,077 of 5,721
  Upmixing on the Essence STX or the receiver?

I would run optical from the Essence STX to the receiver.
Set the STX's Audio Channel to 6-channel and enable DDL (Dolby Digital Live) in S/PDIF
And send 6-channels of audio to the receiver.
To output to the 5.1 speaker setup.
Or is your setup different?

My settings are the same as you said. I get 5.1 audio from games. I think upmixing should be done within the STX, only 2.1 (stereo) source should be upmixed to 5.1 and 5.1 source should not be changed.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #5,078 of 5,721
Not sure why your up-mixing in the first place (2.1 to 5.1)?

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #5,079 of 5,721
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
  My settings are the same as you said. I get 5.1 audio from games. I think upmixing should be done within the STX, only 2.1 (stereo) source should be upmixed to 5.1 and 5.1 source should not be changed.

What is the purpose of the upmixing?

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #5,080 of 5,721
What is the purpose of the upmixing?

Not sure why your up-mixing in the first place (2.1 to 5.1)?

Well, I like it much more when all my speakers work together. And because of it only plays 2 of my speakers, sound is not very clear and no fun to listen to music like this. I know this card can do what I want, but drivers are just too bad.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #5,081 of 5,721
Well, I like it much more when all my speakers work together. And because of it only plays 2 of my speakers, sound is not very clear and no fun to listen to music like this. I know this card can do what I want, but drivers are just too bad.

Guess I would have used the term "Expanded Stereo", your taking a 2.0 audio signal and expanding it to 5.1.
If it's he sound you like, cool.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #5,082 of 5,721
Hi everybody, im new to the opamp rolling, i have an Asus Xonar STX, after reading reading and reading... i finally chose these options, please give me recommendations, it's appriciated :)

should i put: 

Option 1: 1x Muses02 in buffer and 2x Muses8920 in I/V
Option 2: 1x Muses02 in buffer and 2x LME49860 in I/V
Option 3: 3x Muses02

or else?

thank in advanced :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #5,084 of 5,721
Hi guys
i have a Xonar D2 and an 5.1 system Philips Hts 5540 and i connect the two through a coaxial cable
My question is in coaxial do i use the hts 5540 dacs or the Xonar dacs?
IF it is the Hts 5540 dacs is there a way i can use the Xonar dacs through coaxial?

P.s: The 5.1 system has only coaxial in and stereo in so i cant use three 3.5mm jacs to connect the soundcard

Thanks for the help!

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #5,085 of 5,721
  Hi guys
i have a Xonar D2 and an 5.1 system Philips Hts 5540 and i connect the two through a coaxial cable
My question is in coaxial do i use the hts 5540 dacs or the Xonar dacs?
IF it is the Hts 5540 dacs is there a way i can use the Xonar dacs through coaxial?
P.s: The 5.1 system has only coaxial in and stereo in so i cant use three 3.5mm jacs to connect the sound card

Can't use the the Xonar D2 digital outputs (optical or coaxial) and still be able to use the D2's DAC.

You could connect the D2's Front Speaker output and connect it to the Philips RCA (red/white) inputs, then you would be using the D2's DAC thru the Philips, but only in stereo audio.
So you would only get audio out the Philips 2 Front Speakers, which I guess is find for music or any other 2-channel audio source.
If the Philips comes with an "Expanded Stereo" option, then you could get the stereo audio to come out all 5.1 speakers, but it would still only be stereo audio (not surround sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back