The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 9, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #4,546 of 5,722
if im' reading this thread correctly 3 of these should increase the overall sound quality of my STX? I currently have it going through these things: ATH-M50's for headphones out of the amp, and for speakers I use the rca line outs to a STR-DH520, that powers two AS-B1's and uses a dayton sub 1200 through LFE.  

Thanks for your input.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #4,547 of 5,722
Guys can help me, i buy Xonar Essence STX, uninstal Realtek drivers, disable azaria audio codec from bios, instal stx to mb plug molex 4 pin connector, instal STX drivers for windows 8 from official asus website. Plug Grado sr225i and Sennheiser HD 515 and sound same as my speakers for 70$ sound nothing special liitle bit better than ingetrated, what i should do, maybe something wrng i do ? Grado SR225i ~100hours burn in, Sennheiser HD 515 ~600h. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #4,548 of 5,722
you said you disabled azaria codec from the bias, did you also disable the onboard sound function or is that what you meant?

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #4,549 of 5,722
Quote:
if im' reading this thread correctly 3 of these should increase the overall sound quality of my STX? I currently have it going through these things: ATH-M50's for headphones out of the amp, and for speakers I use the rca line outs to a STR-DH520, that powers two AS-B1's and uses a dayton sub 1200 through LFE.  

Thanks for your input.

The STX's buffer chip, LM4562, is the same as the LME49720 and LME49860.
The LME49860 supports more voltage range.
But the price is right for at least trying the LME49860.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #4,550 of 5,722
Quote:
Guys can help me, I buy Xonar Essence STX, uninstal Realtek drivers, disable azaria audio codec from bios, instal stx to mb plug molex 4 pin connector, instal STX drivers for windows 8 from official asus website. Plug Grado sr225i and Sennheiser HD 515 and sound same as my speakers for 70$ sound nothing special liitle bit better than ingetrated, what i should do, maybe something wrng i do ? Grado SR225i ~100hours burn in, Sennheiser HD 515 ~600h. 

Which of the three Gain (Ohm) setting are you using for the headphone settings?
Have you tried using Foobar for music audio files?

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,551 of 5,722
I am using Foobar2000 flac files, i use normal gain setting, high gain and extra high gain adds more volume nothing more, how i can disable onboard sound ? Azaria sound codec disable at bios. Evey sound are muddy, nothing great, except little bit more detail and lively sound compare to onboard sound.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #4,552 of 5,722
To disable on board sound you need to boot into your bias and find the onboard sound setting and  choose to disable it, and then reboot.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #4,553 of 5,722
Quote:
I am using Foobar2000 flac files, i use normal gain setting, high gain and extra high gain adds more volume nothing more, how i can disable onboard sound ? Azaria sound codec disable at bios. Evey sound are muddy, nothing great, except little bit more detail and lively sound compare to on-board sound.

In the STX control panel.
Audio Channel should be set to 2-channel for music audio
Simple rate, 44.1Khz & 48Khz should fine for music audio, I leave mine at 96Khz
Assuming Analog Out is set for "Headphone".
Guess S/PDPF should be unchecked.

It could be your motherboard on-board was decent at driving headphones
I believe headphone like the ATH-M50 do not change that much with amping anyway.
The STX Headphone amplifier has a 10-Ohm output impedance, it might give those headphones (M50& 225si) a slight "bloated" bass.
Test the headphones in a portable audio player, they can have a very low headphone output impedance, might improve the bass quality
As long as you've "disabled" on-board audio, in the BIOS, the on-board audio should not be able to function/work.
I'm guessing any audio improvement you hear for the audio quality is do to the STX's PCM1792A DAC chip.
Have you tried the headphones plugged into the Sony receiver?

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,554 of 5,722
Quote:
The STX's buffer chip, LM4562, is the same as the LME49720 and LME49860.
The LME49860 supports more voltage range.
But the price is right for at least trying the LME49860.

wait so is that the buffer chip or the off-amp i linked lol? and how many do i need?

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #4,555 of 5,722
Quote:
Wait so is that the buffer chip or the off-amp i linked lol? and how many do i need?

Personally I like to replace all three op-amps (1 buffer & 2 I/V), at the same time.
The I/V slots work with the headphone, all three slots are used for line-out (RCAs) outputs
The 1 buffer slot comes stock with the LM4562 op-amp.
The two I/V slots comes stock with the JCR2114 op-amps.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #4,556 of 5,722
Quote:
Personally I like to replace all three op-amps (1 buffer & 2 I/V), at the same time.
The I/V slots work with the headphone, all three slots are used for line-out (RCAs) outputs
The 1 buffer slot comes stock with the LM4562 op-amp.
The two I/V slots comes stock with the JCR2114 op-amps.

oh okay so its okay to have all three the same since then they all use the same one? What change would i get in my sound signature, if you you know of course? I currently have sorta over powered bass but it i think its mostly because my fronts are starting to die lol. since they used to be more tame/tight, and the tweeters are still sounding fine. i think ill just pick them up since its only like 8 bucks to try them. EDIT i just take the old ones out by pulling them up correct? with say something like this?

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #4,557 of 5,722
Quote:
oh okay so its okay to have all three the same since then they all use the same one? What change would i get in my sound signature, if you you know of course? I currently have sorta over powered bass but it i think its mostly because my fronts are starting to die lol. since they used to be more tame/tight, and the tweeters are still sounding fine. i think ill just pick them up since its only like 8 bucks to try them. EDIT i jsut take the old ones out by pulling them up correct? with say something like this?

I do not really remember what the LME49860 sounded like, I switched out to the AD797BRs ($40) months ago.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #4,558 of 5,722
Quote:
I do not really remember what the LME49860 sounded like, I switched out to the AD797BRs ($40) months ago.

oh yeah those are not cheap is it a significant upgrade? what do those do to the sound signature?

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,559 of 5,722
Quote:
oh yeah those are not cheap is it a significant upgrade? what do those do to the sound signature?

I think the AD79BR op-amp kind of opens things up.
It's best to buy used and pre-soldered AD797BRs from China.
Two AD797BRs need to be soldered to a dual SOIC to DIP-8 adapter.
So it takes 6 AD797BR op-amps to take care of the STX's three DIP-8 slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back