The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Oct 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,576 of 1,799
How well do they block out noise compared to the ws99? The semi open design is probably the only thing I don't like about the ws99, not very good for noisy environments.

They block noise both directions very well.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,577 of 1,799
Not too crazy about having to change out batteries just to use my headphones. I wouldn't mind going into the 4-500 dollar range to find a pair that sounds just as good or better than the ws99 and has good isolation.

Fully closed for up to $500

Mad Dogs 3.2 with Alpha Pads $299 New
V-Moda M100 w/ XL Pads $320 New
Ultrasone HIFI-780 under $200 easy

Not a lot of fully closed options out there.

Thanks,

:evil:

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,578 of 1,799
Fully closed for up to $500

Mad Dogs 3.2 with Alpha Pads $299 New
V-Moda M100 w/ XL Pads $320 New
Ultrasone HIFI-780 under $200 easy

Not a lot of fully closed options out there.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I don't think M100's are fully closed. I'm pretty sure the 3 vents on each side of the headphone are for air flow.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,579 of 1,799
  I don't think M100's are fully closed. I'm pretty sure the 3 vents on each side of the headphone are for air flow.

There's acoustic foam placed over the opening underneath those shields though so there's very little sound leaking in this case and the isolation from outside is avg for closed headphones according to Tyll's measurement of -12dBr (~-15dBr(+) being topnotch and is pretty rare, while -8~10dBr being weak for "closed" headphones for comparison's sake, 12dBr is avg)

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,580 of 1,799
Well...

I've further looked into my issue with my left driver not working properly, and it may end up costing anywhere from $60NZD for just a maintanence check to sort things out, or if the left driver needs replacing $200NZD, thats like a whole new WS99! However he did offer to me that if I traded mine in, and paid $200 I would get a new one.

I'm still so guttered that I have to potentially pay so much more for headphones I only recieved earlier this year! Here in New Zealand, not many people know about Audio Technica, let alone them owning a pair of headphones from them, so there are literally 1 or 2 places where I can get these fixed.

It wasn't even covered by warranty considering I purchased them from a "grey importer" from Japan.

Man.....

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,582 of 1,799
  Anyone having problems with the ear cups unscrewing themselves from the headband? 

Yup, I had that problem. I got it screwed back in using a bit like this:

But it was tricky because the bit was a bit too long, and I had to be careful not to scratch the cup. Next time I do it, I will be cutting the bit shorter.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,583 of 1,799
  Well...

I've further looked into my issue with my left driver not working properly, and it may end up costing anywhere from $60NZD for just a maintanence check to sort things out, or if the left driver needs replacing $200NZD, thats like a whole new WS99! However he did offer to me that if I traded mine in, and paid $200 I would get a new one.

I'm still so guttered that I have to potentially pay so much more for headphones I only recieved earlier this year! Here in New Zealand, not many people know about Audio Technica, let alone them owning a pair of headphones from them, so there are literally 1 or 2 places where I can get these fixed.

It wasn't even covered by warranty considering I purchased them from a "grey importer" from Japan.

Man.....

That's a bummer man. I have no idea if mine would be covered by warranty.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #1,584 of 1,799

Man.....

Yeah it sucks but grey imports are always a risk. I presume you got a lower price than buying them from an authorised source such as ATH themselves (they ship here in Aus so I presume NZ) or headphones.com.au or addictedtoaudio.com.au etc

So if you decide to take the risk for a lower price with grey market you take the risk of having no warranty protection. Lesson learned.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,585 of 1,799
I just won a pair of WS-55 on Audio Technica's soundbite contest. How do they compare with the sound quality of the 99s? Are they the same in detail with the only difference being that the 99s having a more and tighter bass?

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,586 of 1,799
  I just won a pair of WS-55 on Audio Technica's soundbite contest. How do they compare with the sound quality of the 99s? Are they the same in detail with the only difference being that the 99s having a more and tighter bass?

I have both and I must say you got extremely lucky.
As to how the 55s compare to the 99s, the 99s are able to go much deeper and the all around sound quality is improved.
That is not to say the 55s are a slouch to begin with.
A couple other things I wanted to add, and this is purely my opinion, oddly it seems to me the 55's may be a bit louder tho the quality is always better with the 99s. I also feel where the 55s lack in the mids the 99s mids are right there in the front along with the treble and bass.
Regardless the pair you have gotten for free are awesome so congrats.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,588 of 1,799
The WS99 is a substantial upgrade to the WS55. A big leap in SQ.. My advice is simple. If you want what is a peep into the high grade AT sound go for the ES700 with WS55 pads. Especially if your into your mids.

If your more a fan of the low end and want a nice high end tuning to your bass phone and also want a full sized can instead of a portable one with nice isolation the WS99.

I have a pair of M50s I just got and plan on returning because I thought the mids were too recessed and they could be a bit harsh sometimes in the highs. I enjoyed the cushy bass but it kinda wandered into the mids jus a bit sometimes. I don't want to go down much in bass quantity but im really looking into the ES 700s after the reviews. I figure the better detail in bass would make up for it but I'm also looking at the WS 77 to pick back up on the bass.

I realize now I really want my mids, I feel the mids on either will be better enough than the M50's. The awesome WS 99's are out of my budget. Can anyone compare that ES 700s and the WS 77's? If I get the ES 700s I plan on getting the WS 55 earpads to regain some bass quantity and for comfort. Heard u can get em for $10 if u email AT directly. Also heard the es700 has a more neutral sig which is good, I plan on making music and it might be handy for monitoring.

Thanks for who replies.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,590 of 1,799
ES700 has some of the best mids in the business. And from memory of my M50s I gave away a while ago,  the bass will be just as satisfactory on the ES700s. Excellent sounding cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back