The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Apr 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #661 of 1,799
Quote:
Quote:
Yah so has anyone else AB these against the s500's?? 

They would sound identical if not for the (wait for it) s500's having better bass at all volumes. I had to turn up the bass boost on my Arrow to the last notch to get them to equal what the s500's were doing on the same volume. 

WTD?!? (Sorry what the deuce)

Same levels same settings and volume and the s500's had the exact same sound but more bass impact and better depth. 

Not sure what do think here fellas.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I feel like there's no way they could sound that similae to the S500s.

Why is that? And is that really a bad thing? The s500's are amazing that is without question so why is it that they can't sound as good as the 99's? Plus I'm saying at lower volumes using my setup and exact setting and they did sound the same but had a better bass response. Turn the volume up and flip a few switches and the catch right up and ultimately pass the s500's but they do sound the same at lower levels and the s500's do get the nod in the sub bass department. It isn't until you have the right amp with the right bass output that you really start to feel the depth of the 99's, but when you do they do not disappoint. 

Sorry to offend but it is what it is.

Definitely not a knock on the 99's who are to me the bigger brother to the HA-S500 which again is a good thing.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #662 of 1,799
Why is that? And is that really a bad thing? The s500's are amazing that is without question so why is it that they can't sound as good as the 99's? Plus I'm saying at lower volumes using my setup and exact setting and they did sound the same but had a better bass response. Turn the volume up and flip a few switches and the catch right up and ultimately pass the s500's but they do sound the same at lower levels and the s500's do get the nod in the sub bass department. It isn't until you have the right amp with the right bass output that you really start to feel the depth of the 99's, but when you do they do not disappoint. 

Definitely not a knock on the 99's who are to me the bigger brother to the HA-S500 which again is a good thing.

Thanks,

:evil:

You didn't offend me, the S500s are my favorite headphones at the moment. Its interesting that you say they have better bass response at quieter volumes though. For me I have barely any bass when my S500s are at quiet volumes, but at higher volumes they sound awesome.

If the S500s are really that close I may be a little disappointed.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #663 of 1,799

Thanks,

:evil:

You didn't offend me, the S500s are my favorite headphones at the moment. Its interesting that you say they have better bass response at quieter volumes though. For me I have barely any bass when my S500s are at quiet volumes, but at higher volumes they sound awesome.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #664 of 1,799
In the end, my pride as AT fans helped me to pull the trigger for WS99. It will arrive around next week if no delay. I'll burn it in for at least 100 hours before comparing it with DT770 AE demo unit.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #665 of 1,799
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oh no sir there is nothing to be disappointed about! The 99's take what make the s500's special and improve on it. More comfy, better looking wider sound stage and will sound amazing out of almost any amp to throw at them. The e11's brought out the volume and my Arrow kick it in the nether regions and brought its true sub bass out. All in all there is zero to be disappointed about with the 99's

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #666 of 1,799
Quote:
Yes they will.

Quote:
WOW that is profoundly eloquent!!! : P

Well let me regurgitate what others that have had the CAL! said. People that have owned the CAL! including Dsnuts says that the S500s are a decent upgrade to them esp. in the bass department. And if these WS99s are a upgrade to the S500s will then you do the math. Hope this helps.

Oh and welcome to the cult!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
devil_face.gif

[Dramatic Pause]

If I ever thought the praise was too good for the ATH-WS99, I thought wrong!

The headphones are amazing right out the box. Amazing bass, comfort, and detail. While it will need some break in time, from the brief time I've been using the WS99, I have nothing but great things to say about it. The power and force of the sub bass is like nothing I've experienced before in a headphone. Yet despite that, the mids are not recessed or overpowered. Even the highs are clean and crisp without getting the horrible sibilance my Klipsch S4/S5 produce at times. I'm stunned by these headphones. Without a doubt, these are a MASSIVE upgrade from my JVC RX700, CALs, and Klipsch S4/S5.

While mentioning other headphones I had the chance to demo my friend's V-Moda M100. First off, they are incredibly comfortable. Better than most I've tried, but they sound very dark and the bass seemed muddy. Granted they were being played from a Macbook Pro Retina without any amplifier or DAC, but it wasn't that impressive for $300. I'm far more amazed how well the WS99 sounds for $100 less. I'm really glad I found The Basshead Club thread which mentioned these. I had my heart set on finding a used Denon D2000 or D5000 but I could not care less about those now :)

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #667 of 1,799
Quote:
If I ever thought the praise was too good for the ATH-WS99, I thought wrong!

The headphones are amazing right out the box. Amazing bass, comfort, and detail. While it will need some break in time, from the brief time I've been using the WS99, I have nothing but great things to say about it. The power and force of the sub bass is like nothing I've experienced before in a headphone. Yet despite that, the mids are not recessed or overpowered. Even the highs are clean and crisp without getting the horrible sibilance my Klipsch S4/S5 produce at times. I'm stunned by these headphones. Without a doubt, these are a MASSIVE upgrade from my JVC RX700, CALs, and Klipsch S4/S5.

Well said! Yes, these are rather easy to become addicted to, and so very sad when they have to come off the head lol.

Welcome to the club
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #668 of 1,799
I'm already addicted to these headphones and its only been 2 hours. I fear I may never want to takes these off and listen to my home theater setup which I love so dearly LoL.

Update:
Just tried these with the Fiio E10 instead of my Asus Xonar DS headphone port and WOW. The amount of bass flooding out these things is staggering.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #671 of 1,799
Anyone compare these to HD598's? 

I own CAL's and frankly the 558s where definetely better in detail and the mids ,and the bass detail as well but i was not impressed by the K550, A900x, and Denon d600 music maniacs.
I just cant imagine the ws99 even comparing to the 598's but totally blowing away my CAL's would set them above upper midrange Sennheisers.

I cant grasp how this is possible? if it is, I would totally order them.

-stillgettingthe558's​

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #672 of 1,799
Quote:
Anyone compare these to HD598's? 

I own CAL's and frankly the 558s where definetely better in detail and the mids ,and the bass detail as well but i was not impressed by the K550, A900x, and Denon d600 music maniacs.
I just cant imagine the ws99 even comparing to the 598's but totally blowing away my CAL's would set them above upper midrange Sennheisers.

I cant grasp how this is possible? if it is, I would totally order them.

-stillgettingthe558's​

I've owned the CAL's and to even consider the 99's in the same class is a crime! The CAL's are decent cans but several steps below the 99's in every category. 

The 598's are great cans and the difference between the 99's is really a personal preference. Do you want a balanced can with great mids or a balanced can with amazing bass. Both are very good at what they do but the 99's are going to be a lot easier to use seeing that they like most things benefit from an amp but really don't need one and the 598's do to bring out their great quality sound. Either one is a serious upgrade to the CAL's so you can't really go wrong with either one. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #674 of 1,799
I've been lurking for about a week on this thread, and was about to pull the trigger at NBS, but they are now gone and shot up to $240 on Amazon.  Does anyone have a line on a lower price?  I can't justify picking these up for $200+.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #675 of 1,799
I've been lurking for about a week on this thread, and was about to pull the trigger at NBS, but they are now gone and shot up to $240 on Amazon.  Does anyone have a line on a lower price?  I can't justify picking these up for $200+.

I know man I too was looking at the price. I think it will go back down once they go beck in stock on amazon, for about a week. I think it'll probably be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back