The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #646 of 1,799
Another week another question about a pad replacement on the WS99s. Sorry guys, I know I sound like a broken record. 

Does anyone know if the Beyerdynamic Pads would fit on the WS99? 770 880 or 990? They look to be a little thicker than the WS99 pad.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #648 of 1,799
Quote:
They would probably mess up the seal.

How so? Because the beyers are larger or smaller than the WS99 and the pads won't fit?

I did a whole lot of pad rolling with the JVC s500s. So if the pads fit and it's just a matter of velour vs. pleather I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. More than anything I need to know if they would fit or not.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #649 of 1,799
How so? Because the beyers are larger or smaller than the WS99 and the pads won't fit?

I did a whole lot of pad rolling with the JVC s500s. So if the pads fit and it's just a matter of velour vs. pleather I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. More than anything I need to know if they would fit or not.

The pads would have to be a perfect fit in order for a great seal, but I don't know anything about Iif it would actually fit. The ws99s seem like they depend on that pleather and that great seal for its great bass control. You would probably loose some of the bass, but this is all in theory. Someone here should be able to try it.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #650 of 1,799
Quote:
Anyone here have both WS99 and DT770 Anniversary Edition? I'm curious about the sound of WS99, I'm currently torn to choose between these two. I don't have chance to audition the WS99 since I'm not in Japan. I really like the addictive bass and slam that DT770 AE provide, but I'm also curious with the hype surrounding WS99. Help! xD

At least compared to the 770/80's the 99's are better cans (to me) top down. More neutral, bass is just as impact-full but a lot cleaner. Right out of the box the sub bass isn't as good but once you pair it with the right amp that can be fixed while maintaining its great linear sound. The new AE's are said to be a "better" 770 so that sounds pretty promising but I can only speak on what I've heard so... 

In a perfect world buy them both and see which you like best 
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #651 of 1,799
How do the WS99's compare to the PROMKV bass-wise?  Anyone have both at some point in their journey? 

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #652 of 1,799
Yah so has anyone else AB these against the s500's?? 

They would sound identical if not for the (wait for it) s500's having better bass at all volumes. I had to turn up the bass boost on my Arrow to the last notch to get them to equal what the s500's were doing on the same volume. 

WTD?!? (Sorry what the deuce)

Same levels same settings and volume and the s500's had the exact same sound but more bass impact and better depth. 

Not sure what do think here fellas.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #653 of 1,799
Quote:

They would sound identical if not for the (wait for it) s500's having better bass at all volumes. I had to turn up the bass boost on my Arrow to the last notch to get them to equal what the s500's were doing on the same volume. 

Same levels same settings and volume and the s500's had the exact same sound but more bass impact and better depth. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I feel like there's no way they could sound that similae to the S500s.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #656 of 1,799
Quote:

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

There is no way the S500s sound exactly the same as the WS99s. And i am a S500 fanatic/ fan boi. For one thing the soundstage on the S500s is much smaller than the 99s, the sub bass on these S500s don't go as deep nor is the bass quantity as much as the WS99s. The 99s can literally make the ear cups rattle but yet there is no fatigue despite it's more bold and powerful sound. Haven't listened to my S500 in a quick minute but from memory these WS99 is a total and complete upgrade of them in every aspect.

Well if they do to you, then it just goes to show that the S500s are really that amazing.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
What exactly is hard slamming bass and do you have to listen to the music very loud for the bass to slam?

Well this is what i imagine it would sound like, you hear the bass on the beat literally slamming at the beginning??? Maybe that's it???

....... damn this beat is gorgeous!!!

edit: listen to it in HD 1080p.
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #658 of 1,799
Curse this thread and all the praises with this headphone! I was really trying not to buy another pair of headphones but with all the praises for the ATH-WS99 I caved...HARD.

I'm hoping these will be a considerable upgrade from the Creative Live Aurvana I've been using as my "bassy" headphones.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #660 of 1,799
Quote:
Yes they will.

WOW that is profoundly eloquent!!! : P

Quote:
Curse this thread and all the praises with this headphone! I was really trying not to buy another pair of headphones but with all the praises for the ATH-WS99 I caved...HARD.

I'm hoping these will be a considerable upgrade from the Creative Live Aurvana I've been using as my "bassy" headphones.

Well let me regurgitate what others that have had the CAL! said. People that have owned the CAL! including Dsnuts says that the S500s are a decent upgrade to them esp. in the bass department. And if these WS99s are a upgrade to the S500s will then you do the math. Hope this helps.

Oh and welcome to the cult!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back