The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #436 of 1,799
Upon internal inspection as a comparison while repairing the es10,
I noticed they are not using any fiberglass material but two different color shiny foam looking material behind the driver.
The darker foam is in area of the bass ports.

Also by the way, the rear metal housing is the thickest I have seen on a headphone.
Makes both the es10 and Amperior and es7 metal seem less substantial.
I am also thinking the outer spiral designed may be more than just looks as spiral groove finish adds greater surface area as well as increasing rigidity and thus any possible resonance beyond the audible range..
Or it could just be my own placebo fallacy lol.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #437 of 1,799
My guess is dual color = dual density foam like material.

At first look, that glue looks sloppy,
But on closer inspection, it is touched on two corners on one side, and bottom corner on other, so it was a deliberate method. ..

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #438 of 1,799
Edit double post.. Anyway,
So the inner material now seems to take into consideration different frequencies,
Thus proving correct what DsNuts referred to and what I believe is a more complex tuning and interaction wich is more than just the driver design/ tuning, or just an outer cup tuning, or just a port design.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #439 of 1,799
I've been eyeing many different headphones for a month now, i bought UE6000's, and though the coushions were deep they weren't wide enough for my ears and hence made me want to cut my ears off after half hour of use.  I tried m100s and just something seemed missing, now these headphones are looking promosing and forced me to made a account on here and join the discussion :D   I'll be listening to a Wiiiddeee spectrum of music from orchestral to heavy dubstep;  think these will do the job for me?  and are they available in U.S yet? on their site it says in march to april these will arrive in U.S but i cant find 'em yet but maybe one of you all found them.  

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #440 of 1,799
U.S. links provided in last few pages...

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #443 of 1,799
I think after a long research i've finally found THE Ones!:D since i doubt ill be able to test these in stores anytime soon, i'm just gonna save a few more bucks and i'll be ready to pull the trigger on these. Thank You All

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #444 of 1,799
has anyone used the included mic for skyping? I might be able to talk my wife into these if she can also use them to skype. Just ordered the s500's & CKN70's (meanwhile saving up for AD900x) but these WS99 sound fun. Maybe I'll sell one of the other two (not sure which one) and get these WS99. I'm assuming they are an upgrade over the other two I ordered? I hate that when I get all conservative and after I've pulled the trigger and think @#$#@ why didn't I just go full out and get the goodens~

EE

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #445 of 1,799
Guys who like the ws99 might also want to check out beyer dtx501p. Its a portable can and goes for 99 at amazon. I had it for about a month but sold it a week ago, and strongly reminded me of it while listening to ws99. It has that bass impact and forward midrage which is the sonic signature of ws99. But with pretty steep roll off at the treble.Don't get mad guys but the bass impact is stronger than ws99, the midrange is just sweeter. It does not sound congested however like ws99, and separation between the bass and mid is very very good. Sense of space is really great too. But why did I sell it and do I regret it? ws99 still sounds much more energetic and fun to me. For those who doesnt want to spend more than 100bucks but like the sonic signature of ws99, beyer dtx501p will be a great alternative.   

Edit : The problem with this was my source. I was only using by phone with the ws99. With proper amp, WS99 outperforms the beyer in almost every way. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #446 of 1,799
Quote:
Guys who like the ws99 might also want to check out beyer dtx501p. Its a portable can and goes for 99 at amazon. I had it for about a month but sold it a week ago, and strongly reminded me of it while listening to ws99. It has that bass impact and forward midrage which is the sonic signature of ws99. But with pretty steep roll off at the treble.Don't get mad guys but the bass impact is stronger than ws99, the midrange is just sweeter. It does not sound congested however like ws99, and separation between the bass and mid is very very good. Sense of space is really great too. But why did I sell it and do I regret it? ws99 still sounds much more energetic and fun to me. For those who doesnt want to spend more than 100bucks but like the sonic signature of ws99, beyer dtx501p will be a great alternative.   

Huh! You are the only person so far who has said that the ws99's sound congested. How many hours of burn in do you have on the 99's?

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #447 of 1,799
I so happen to own them Beyers.. No sorry to tell you..Not in the same league as the WS99. They sound good for portables but the ES700 and the HA-S500 both does one better then them Beyers.  The WS99 you haven't had them long enough Imo. These need at least a week straight burn in. Then are somewhat picky about source too.

If that is more your sound signature.. Your on the wrong thread. You need to look into the ATH-ES700..Those will blow your mind if you liked them Beyers.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #448 of 1,799
I so happen to own them Beyers.. No sorry to tell you..Not in the same league as the WS99. They sound good for portables but the ES700 and the HA-S500 both does one better then them Beyers.  The WS99 you haven't had them long enough Imo. These need at least a week straight burn in. Then are somewhat picky about source too.

If that is more your sound signature.. Your on the wrong thread. You need to look into the ATH-ES700..Those will blow your mind if you liked them Beyers.
I see. I will burn them in more and see how it goes.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #449 of 1,799
A few more places to get these from
-i'll be ordering from here later today: http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=808&item=QW2410&gclid=CIOQwvTrlbYCFYWo4AodYgIA4w  (free 3 day shipping wohoo).
-http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS99-Solid-Bass-Over-Ear-Headphones/7707809/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=NWRP7zxIQgwAAB-r:20130324171205:s        here's another link. overstock.com  more trusted i guess. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #450 of 1,799
I see. I will burn them in more and see how it goes.

I think what you have experienced, is the difference between a can that produces sound a certain way you preferred(beyer) for that music you had,
As compared to a can that will show how good or bad your source music files really are .
Because just no way in h*ll do my ws99 sound anything like what you just described.
And my stable of headphones has grown and these ws99 have yet to be replaced as my favorite cans.
They are simply excellent.
Edit:
I probably made incorrect assumption about your source files.
You may simply like more forward or brighter presence in wich case I would also agree the es700 is the can as I feel the es700 are slightly more pronounced in the upper spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back