The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Feb 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #106 of 1,799
Quote:

yea the m-100 sound about right for EDM, i think ill still wait around abit for some more impressions before changing my mind about them and getting the ATs though.
thank you very very much for your impressions, which can has more sub-bass detail in your opinion? which one has more sub-bass quantity? you say the ATs are brighter than the m-100, do you know how bright they are in comparison to dt 770s (250)?

The M-100 has slightly more sub-bass rumble than the WS99, and this is probably due to the boosted bass levels. Low-end clarity on the M-100 is about on par with the WS99, but due to the V-MODA's greater bass levels, some detail might be lost in the booming sound. To be honest, I didn't really pay much attention to the sub-bass detail when auditioning the cans. I'll have another go when I pick up my M-100 soon (sometime this week or the next).

From memory, the DT770 has greater treble reach, which sounded quite sibilant to my ears. I'm quite sensitive to sibilance, so I didn't really enjoy the DT770. I tested the 80 ohm version both unamped and amped. I believe the treble presentation of the DT770 for all its versions is about the same, with the main difference coming from the bass quantity.

Quote:
Wait a minute, Dsnuts already mentioned that the WS99 needs an amp in this regard. Not to the point that it gets boomy though, i would think. Why would anyone want a $300 boomy headphone anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Well, its true, the bass of the WS99 does come to life with an amp or via EQ-ing. Like RPG said, if you love the general sound signature of a headphone, you can always attenuate the bass levels to your preference with a good bass boost amp. 
smile.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #107 of 1,799
So the M100 has more mid bass than what is on the WS99 is the general consensus but I do know because the mids and the highs are balanced out with the mid bass on the WS99 they might not sound like they have a bigger mid bass. I think if the mids was more of a U on the AT cans with same bass levels I bet it would sound similar to the M100 in bass. Just a guess..I like the balancing AT did on these cans resulting in a more versatile sounding bass can meaning you can listen to your vocals with clarity and detail with your club like bass on the go. I likes this.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #108 of 1,799
I hope these AT becomes available in europe too because I'm not that keen on importing from Japan if I for some reason wouldn't end up liking them. I might wait until NAD Viso HP50 becomes available too to see which is the better contender, I have a good feeling about those headphones that they will have a similar signature to the WS99. At least the NADs have bigger cups and looks more comfortable.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #110 of 1,799
Wait a minute, Dsnuts already mentioned that the WS99 needs an amp in this regard. Not to the point that it gets boomy though, i would think. Why would anyone want a $300 boomy headphone anyway. :rolleyes:
Just to clarify.
The m100 have great bass yet never ever sound boomy.
They are lush, large, & juicy sounding and if the ws99 can sound larger amped so can the m100 amped.

The m100 have "slightly" or moderately recessed mids yes but still lively and not super V-shaped recessed like the tiestos.
I must assume the ws99 are just a bit more forward and brighter.
Hopefully we will get more detailed comparisons :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #111 of 1,799
Quote:

The M-100 has slightly more sub-bass rumble than the WS99, and this is probably due to the boosted bass levels. Low-end clarity on the M-100 is about on par with the WS99, but due to the V-MODA's greater bass levels, some detail might be lost in the booming sound. To be honest, I didn't really pay much attention to the sub-bass detail when auditioning the cans. I'll have another go when I pick up my M-100 soon (sometime this week or the next).

From memory, the DT770 has greater treble reach, which sounded quite sibilant to my ears. I'm quite sensitive to sibilance, so I didn't really enjoy the DT770. I tested the 80 ohm version both unamped and amped. I believe the treble presentation of the DT770 for all its versions is about the same, with the main difference coming from the bass quantity.

Well, its true, the bass of the WS99 does come to life with an amp or via EQ-ing. Like RPG said, if you love the general sound signature of a headphone, you can always attenuate the bass levels to your preference with a good bass boost amp. 
smile.gif

thank you again. i agree that the 770s can be sibilant, this is my greatest complaint about them, thats why im searching for a darker signature on the next headphones i purchase. 
cheers!

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #112 of 1,799
Quote:
So the M100 has more mid bass than what is on the WS99 is the general consensus but I do know because the mids and the highs are balanced out with the mid bass on the WS99 they might not sound like they have a bigger mid bass. I think if the mids was more of a U on the AT cans with same bass levels I bet it would sound similar to the M100 in bass. Just a guess..I like the balancing AT did on these cans resulting in a more versatile sounding bass can meaning you can listen to your vocals with clarity and detail with your club like bass on the go. I likes this.

I like the way AT are differentiating their basshead cans. On one hand, we have the more balanced cans with good extension on both ends (WS Solid Bass series), and on the other, you have the dark, punchy basshead cans in the PRO500MK2 and the PRO700MK2. For fans of a warm, bassy sound, you have the ES7 and the ES700. It's nice to have such a diverse choice for fans of bass. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Just to clarify.
The m100 have great bass yet never ever sound boomy.
They are lush, large, & juicy sounding and if the ws99 can sound larger amped so can the m100 amped.

The m100 have "slightly" or moderately recessed mids yes but still lively and not super V-shaped recessed like the tiestos.
I must assume the ws99 are just a bit more forward and brighter.
Hopefully we will get more detailed comparisons
smily_headphones1.gif

So the Tiestos are very V-shaped? Are they similar to the HFI 580  and PRO 900 in sound?

Quote:
thank you again. i agree that the 770s can be sibilant, this is my greatest complaint about them, thats why im searching for a darker signature on the next headphones i purchase. 
cheers!

You're welcome, mate. Glad to help. Hope you find your next can soon. It's always nice to be on the lookout for your next purchase. 
L3000.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #113 of 1,799
Quote:

You're welcome, mate. Glad to help. Hope you find your next can soon. It's always nice to be on the lookout for your next purchase. 
L3000.gif

yes it is, especially when you go to the post office to pick up your new Odac+O2 and discover that it didn't go through customs, so you dont have to pay any extras, and you save just over 100$ that you can invest in your next pair of headphones instead =]

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #114 of 1,799
So the Tiestos are very V-shaped? Are they similar to..

Not shure about those other cans so I could only say it is more than the m100 and you know the m100 wich I would say is moderately recessed.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #115 of 1,799
So I am looking for a pair to replace my ATH-M50's and I had my heart set on the VModa M100's, but these look quite interesting. 

How does the overall sound quality of these compare to an m50? Is this considered a "nicer" headphone?

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #118 of 1,799

You have no idea the SQ jump we are talking about here.  Not only wider stage by a good margin but full blown mids in your face and lush and deep to boot. That alone is an upgrade. Then you add the bass which is not only punchier but has the quality Low lo sub bass.. No comparison.. A much better higher end tuning from AT. Get these and be done with. I am just saying. Guys that are used to having the artificial highs that are on the M50 will think these cans might lack that artificial tingle in the highs but these are so much more natural and real sounding in comparison. Absolute control in the sound including the fastest tight bass you have ever heard..

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #120 of 1,799
Yes but most cans have less treble than the M-50s so that ain't saying much. The highs could use a bit more extension for guys that are treble happy but. I don't find the highs lacking one bit for my taste. Music sounds like music not some transformers happening while your listening to your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back